What's new

Steering Coolers: Radial Dynamics vs Howe

Howe's resi design and RD are very different.
Only one of them uses all the fluid that's in it. The other one holds fluid for heat expansion purposes only.

It doesn't matter.

Copied from another post I made on another forum which was talking about how Jeff Howe said that moving the resi away from the pump was good because it would add volume because of the extra length of line :

The design thought process of the RD products is slowly sinking in to me. I may be a little slow and probably stupid too. The more you and RD post the more it's making sense.

Your math and what RD said above pretty much puts the whole longer hose thing to rest.

Got out for a wheel with the rebuild TG pump .. Works fine but is a decent bit slower turning the tires than my PSC. .. Lower GPM I guess

Got out for a wheel with the rebuild TG pump .. Works fine but is a decent bit slower turning the tires than my PSC. .. Lower GPM I guess
Try to swap the spool valve and pressure relief from the PSC unit in the TC pump, if they're compatible

Try to swap the spool valve and pressure relief from the PSC unit in the TC pump, if they're compatible
The Trail Gear pump, assuming it was purchased in the last few years, is a CB type not a TC. The pressure relief spool will not be cross compatible between the trail gear pump and PSC pump but the outlet fitting will likely fit both. Of course, swapping the outlet fittings won't necessarily match the original pump's flow rate depending on the rate and preload of the spring behind the spool.

The PSC outlet / flow control fitting has a decent bit larger orifice than the TG pump fitting .. Otherwise overall dimensions are about the same. What sort of drawbacks would the larger orifice cause potentially ?

The PSC outlet / flow control fitting has a decent bit larger orifice than the TG pump fitting .. Otherwise overall dimensions are about the same. What sort of drawbacks would the larger orifice cause potentially ?
The larger orifice will increase the max discharge flow rate, it's just a question of by how much which is also a function of the spring as mentioned. If it increases the flow rate too much, you will likely hear the pump whine due to cavitation when you give it throttle. If so, you can expect shortened pump life but if the pump volume stays normal then you should be okay

Top Back Refresh