What's new

Steering Coolers: Radial Dynamics vs Howe

I couldn't justify the RD price on that one....got a couple of Howes instead. IMO, they look really similar other than the fittings/end caps. The 'magic' is probably the flow diffusers in the caps of the RD....but twice the price didn't seem like it would make that much difference. I'd love to see some real numbers on fluid temps with one versus the other. Got my Howes from SPR too. EDIT I stand corrected based on post #6....5x the volume is a big deal...but at that price point, another style cooler may make more sense**.

Last edited:
I couldn't justify the RD price on that one....got a couple of Howes instead. IMO, they look really similar other than the fittings/end caps. The 'magic' is probably the flow diffusers in the caps of the RD....but twice the price didn't seem like it would make that much difference. I'd love to see some real numbers on fluid temps with one versus the other. Got my Howes from SPR too.
That’s my current thinking. But if some real world info comes in about the RD, I could possibly be convinced.

That’s my current thinking. But if some real world info comes in about the RD, I could possibly be convinced.
Same. Keeping the fluid cool is important for the best performance/reliability of the system. I honestly don't know if this style cooler is the best way to achieve cooler temps or if you should have some sort of plate or tube/fin cooler with a dedicated fan and t-stat. Obviously, this style is typically easiest to package....I'd even consider running multiples if it might help and not be detrimental to flow.

Reactions: TSG
Howe's cooler has the same fin shape but the major difference is that the Howe cooler is gun drilled so the flow path is a small diameter and the wall thickness from ID of the gun drill to minor diameter of the fins is about 1/2". What I did with mine is made it a three-piece assembly with larger ID so that it has about 5x internal volume (and residence time), 1/8" wall thickness, with flow diffusers in and out to promote mixing and oil contact with the walls rather than getting a core of hot oil that passes straight through.

Both are pretty marginal coolers. I would bet money one of these dissapates more heat.

Screenshot_20240227-221935_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• 61uYmeDHwNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 9
Ive found over the years by far the best are the plate fin style oil coolers .. My full hydro / rear steer reservoir stays nice and cool .. Also having a large capacity reservoir that doesnt promote foaming/cavitation of the fluid is key

Ive found over the years by far the best are the plate fin style oil coolers .. My full hydro / rear steer reservoir stays nice and cool .. Also having a large capacity reservoir that doesnt promote foaming/cavitation of the fluid is key
pics ?

Didn't HYDRODYNAMIC do some pretty detailed temp testing on coolers (though I don't know if it was steering specific)?

Last edited:

Howe's cooler has the same fin shape but the major difference is that the Howe cooler is gun drilled so the flow path is a small diameter and the wall thickness from ID of the gun drill to minor diameter of the fins is about 1/2". What I did with mine is made it a three-piece assembly with larger ID so that it has about 5x internal volume (and residence time), 1/8" wall thickness, with flow diffusers in and out to promote mixing and oil contact with the walls rather than getting a core of hot oil that passes straight through.

The Radial Dynamics cooler is big boy race "like" cooler, IMO it's a little much for a trail rig, any of the other styles, either heat sink, bar and plate, tube and fin are pretty good enough.

:outofmyelement:

I don’t know how big -8 line is but, I do know when I put a junkyard explorer trans cooler on the return line of the steering box, my hot fluid problems went away.

Setrab type coolers. Which would also be my choice.
I wanted to see what model he used. IDK if all setrab stuff is rated for the volume and pressure you can find in hydro stuff

:outofmyelement:

I don’t know how big -8 line is but, I do know when I put a junkyard explorer trans cooler on the return line of the steering box, my hot fluid problems went away.
-8 is small these days.

I wanted to see what model he used. IDK if all setrab stuff is rated for the volume and pressure you can find in hydro stuff

-8 is small these days.
-8 from pump to orbital and from orbital to cooler to resi is pretty much standard. You run a larger size ?

Pretty basic .. Tucked up under the dash on my intercooler .. Just 3/8 for the return .. Runs through a filter and back into the reservoir .. Probably should have done 1/2" for the return but I havent had an issue with it

Attachments

• 20240228_170346.jpg
    20240228_170346.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
-8 from pump to orbital and from orbital to cooler to resi is pretty much standard. You run a larger size ?
It all depends on your pump.
But yeah, I do run bigger lines.

What pump do you use that requires larger than -8 lines? Just curious, has nothing to do with this cooler thread.
A big Radial TC or CBR would require bigger.
A Trophy truck pump would require a lot bigger.

Didn't HYDRODYNAMIC do some pretty detailed temp testing on coolers (though I don't know if it was steering specific)?

This thread has a lot of info.

This thread has a lot of info.
Thanks!!

-8 is small these days.

I have a pile of Setrab coolers of varied series. Almost all are rated ~250psi, a couple say 170psi "working pressure". I do believe they make some specific coolers rated to 300psi "working pressure".
The 250psi rated coolers do say they have a 350psi burst pressure.

None list a flow rate, only pressure drop through the cooler, which all are ~1-2 psi.

With full hydro, what kind of max pressure is generally on the side returning to the reservoir? I understand the pressure side varies greatly due to what you're doing at the time. I'm assuming the return side is somewhat the same?

Last edited:
I have a pile of Setrab coolers of varied series. Almost all are rated ~250psi, a couple say 170psi "working pressure". I do believe they make some specific coolers rated to 300psi "working pressure".
I'd get the HP ones...

Top Back Refresh