What's new

Specs on Cary's C4 to 22R adapter

makemeknowit

Kwisatz Haderach
Member Number
Loc
Memphis, TN
I know there are only 2 in existence, his and the Allphase guy who designed it. Several at the other place asked about it in his makeover thread back in '06. He mentioned taking measurements the next time he had it out but I never saw a follow up on that in the thread. I'd love to see the specs on it to see if I could duplicate it for myself.

I'm confused on what are you trying to do here? You started another thread asking about a sbf to toy r151 and now you've decided to keep the 22r and go auto now? What's the goal on what you want to do?

The deal on the 5.0 failed yesterday. Plan b is to duplicate Carys setup but likely with a Dana300 vs an Atlas. Already have the same motor in my buggy that he is running in his.

So you could bolt a aw4/aisin toy auto directly to a 22r, you can then use the factory aw4 tail housing and output shaft to go to the factory d300 input.

Aw4/a340 is basically the same transmission, they've always been pretty tough from what I've seen. Just the toyota auto uses a Japanese 23 spline compared to the jeep 23 spline. So swapping output shaft and tail housing in a a340 to a aw4 would work best.

I thoight they were essentially the same. From what I've read the A trans brings the suck on steep inclines even if overfilled. To the point of the rig not moving. They do fine on steep declines just not inclines.

No idea on the steep incline/ decline starving issues, someone else is gonna need to chime in on that one.

I have an A340F/Atlas2, no issues so far with steep inclines. I did add an extra quart and have a bit more capacity in the system with a remote cooler behind the cab.

Same as C4 basically at 1/10 the price and that's if you can even find a 4WD C4 to begin with

Then what? Super custom bell and converter just to have to build the trans?

The aw4/a340x is a very proven trans in crawling. Look up the AZ undertaker YJ guy that does neutral drops all the time with stickies full of water. :laughing: I saw one where he blew apart a 1410 D60 pinion yoke....

My 96 4runner has 350k miles on the trans and I've beaten on it in the snow for the last 100k miles or so. Every time it smells hot and just keeps working.

Carys set up is sweet no doubt, but I'm betting it's $1000s to copy vs $10s :laughing:

The aw4/a340x is a very proven trans in crawling. Look up the AZ undertaker YJ guy that does neutral drops all the time with stickies full of water. :laughing: I saw one where he blew apart a 1410 D60 pinion yoke....

My 96 4runner has 350k miles on the trans and I've beaten on it in the snow for the last 100k miles or so. Every time it smells hot and just keeps working.

Carys set up is sweet no doubt, but I'm betting it's $1000s to copy vs $10s :laughing:
How do you get around the electronic controls of the aw4?

The aw swap utilizes a toy tc?

Top Back Refresh