What's new

Source for crimp on battery terminals?

Well, hell. Time for Prime.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVE48Z6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

BadTerminal.jpg

I have the hydro crimpers like posted above and love them, mine is blue though. I've had bad luck with other style crimpers and used the solder pellets for awhile but had a couple pull apart on me.

DelCity, Waytek, Mouser are my go to suppliers.

If you're gonna solder (what I prefer), try and do a crimp first.

Best of all worlds :smokin:

As soon as the crimpers show up, that's what I'm going to try.

I've seen those crimps cut apart with zero space inside, just solid metal, so I'm not sure how it will work.

Just a heads up for anyone running the Blue handled IWISS Battery cable crimping tools. Most of the complaints on Amazon seem to be that the dies are not sized appropriately for AWG cables, just relabeled metric sizes. I have crimped up a bunch of 2 gauge wire and terminals that ended up being shitty crimps that would pull apart, I had to start with 2 gauge and then switch one of the dies to 4 gauge, that seemed to do the trick but the crimp looks uneven and leaves a bit of thin metal at the seams, nothing that some heat shrink won't cover.

Just a heads up for anyone running the Blue handled IWISS Battery cable crimping tools. Most of the complaints on Amazon seem to be that the dies are not sized appropriately for AWG cables, just relabeled metric sizes. I have crimped up a bunch of 2 gauge wire and terminals that ended up being shitty crimps that would pull apart, I had to start with 2 gauge and then switch one of the dies to 4 gauge, that seemed to do the trick but the crimp looks uneven and leaves a bit of thin metal at the seams, nothing that some heat shrink won't cover.

The IWISS brand specifically lists their dies as AWG, NOT relabeled metric. There are a ton of look-alikes that are metric, though.
  • Built in 6 AWG standard dies : 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1/0
  • Hexagonal rotating dies processed with Wire EDM Cutting,more accurate than normal casting dies

And a few pics.

I tried it out on a random winch wire I found on the garage floor.

Crimp then solder worked well. I cleaned, fluxed, slid a ring of solder on the wire, crimped, heated the lug with propane until the solder flowed, then shrunk it.

I used #4 lugs and the #4 die. It did leave a "flange" on the outer side of where the jaws met, but I gave it 3 chomps, rotating every time, so that got smashed down. The final crimp came out nice and tight.

HomeDepot had some really nice 4:1 glue-lined heatshrink that went from 5/8" to .177".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crimp1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	100497
Click image for larger version  Name:	crimp2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	100498
Click image for larger version  Name:	Crimp1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	100497

Click image for larger version  Name:	crimp6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	100502

Click image for larger version  Name:	crimp6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	100502

Last edited:
The IWISS brand specifically lists their dies as AWG, NOT relabeled metric. There are a ton of look-alikes that are metric, though.

I don't have any reference for whether or not the dies are in fact properly sized or whether I was sold a knockoff (They do have the IWISS name on them) but I did get shitty crimps for what it's worth. I also just followed your link and that is the exact product I bought. I suppose it could have been improperly sized wire or ends or just the #2 was out of spec. Good follow up info though!

It did take 3 bites to get mine tight. But, different wire, different lugs, different die. And I soldered without yanking on any except the first test crimp...

Ugh, that die size business is not simple. Molex has this chart about finding the right lug. Their method fits with what I found- my OD was .210, but stranded wire will compress, so my #4 lugs were probably oversized, and crimped a lot. A #6 probably would have been a tighter fit, and cleaner crimp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 3.46.58 PM.png Views:	25 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	100822

Last edited:
#6 was a tighter fit. I had to slide the conductors into the lug and work pliers around the bundle compressing it to get the lug on. Tight fit.

The crimp was immediately strong, first bite. It left a flange, which subsequent chomps moved around, but didn't get rid of. One crimp, then a half-crimp to flatten the flange will be the way to go. And solder.

I just noticed the "6" pressed on by the jaws.

20200818_212102.jpg

20200818_211901.jpg

I have one of the amazon hydraulic crimpers. I have found that instead of using the dies that is listed on the chart, I go one size smaller. Makes a nice tight crimp but does leave 2 little wings. You can rotate it and crimp again to mostly get rid of them but heat shrink will cover them right up.

Top Back Refresh