What's new

Small tandem axle for small TOAD

Thoughts? I don't use brakes on my flat tow.

That's all, never had any issues with it trying to push or anything

Flat towing a 2500 lb zuk behind a ~10k lb fullsize, ID be pretty comfortable without brakes. Especially the late model truck like op.

But like other mentioned, it would be definitely better with them and since the physical brakes are already there, why not.

Beyond the obvious legal issues that ‘require’ towed vehicle brakes in all but a a few states in the US, I much prefer to have brakes for a truck that already tests the limits of its own brakes. Be it flat towed or trailer. Then there is winter travel, ice, snow, etc. As well as break-away braking.
Yeah, those are all things that haven't been an issue. Pulled many states and all weather.

Well, I park and wait out ice and heavy snow :laughing:

Flat towing a 2500 lb zuk behind a ~10k lb fullsize, ID be pretty comfortable without brakes. Especially the late model truck like op.

But like other mentioned, it would be definitely better with them and since the physical brakes are already there, why not.
Cost

Time isn't much, but none of that stuff is cheap. You could just about have the suzuki fall off and get lost and buy a new one when you get where you are going for thr price of some of those systems

Beyond the obvious legal issues that ‘require’ towed vehicle brakes in all but a a few states in the US, I much prefer to have brakes for a truck that already tests the limits of its own brakes. Be it flat towed or trailer. Then there is winter travel, ice, snow, etc. As well as break-away braking.
Register the towed vehicle in MA. Only need brakes at 10k on up. :flipoff2:

Register the towed vehicle in MA. Only need brakes at 10k on up. :flipoff2:
FYI, doesnt matter where its registered, only operated.
If it weighs more than 2000bs, it needs brakes

Tracker wet and loaded for towing will likely be about 3500lbs
Truck is already down the road @ near 2000 lbs over max GVWR :homer:

I get it

I have a lot of confidence in that platforms braking ability, but that doesn't mean you need to push it's limits, especially on long trips.

Should have got a treefiddy diesel :flipoff2:

See? Already illegal :flipoff2:

Reading my factory owners manual for the old f350 today, max advised gooseneck/5th wheel trailer weight is 6500lbs, 2000lbs for a bumper pull without weight distribution hitch :laughing:

Gvwr is just a suggestion, the lawman only cares about license and associated weight, well under all those

So it seems I found the ticket for flat tow.

Biggest gripe for all Ive found (until now) is they are either ON-OFF based upon 12v brake lamp signal, based upn inertia (surge) or a combination of the two. None are truely proportional, and none provide braking in all situations

I found this one.

There is an air brake and hydraulic brake version. As I understand it, both versions tie into the actual braking system of the tow vehicle, be it air line or hydraulic line using a proportioning valve. The braking effort is then communicated/sent to the TOAD and an air cylinder attached to the drivers seat and brake pedal applies brakes at the same levels of the tow vehicle.

Now I just need to dig in and check reviews..... But this may very well be the ticket.

im gonna derail this thread right here
agree. People gave me lot of crap when I added them to my car trailer. #1 best upgrade.
What size trailer and what shock? I was thinking of adding shocks to my trailer as well. Figured it couldnt hurt, and possibly help.

im gonna derail this thread right here

What size trailer and what shock? I was thinking of adding shocks to my trailer as well. Figured it couldnt hurt, and possibly help.

18’ dual 5200# axle car hauler. It’s all tube - made by Addicted Offroad for me years ago.

I used the cheapest shocks I could find at the time, which I think were delco’s.

These are the lower mounts. Amazon.com

Uppers are fabricobbled to the frame.

Huge difference in towing, especially unloaded.

Edit: link to thread. Start at post 25

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh