What's new

Small tandem axle for small TOAD

IDASHO

Member Number
Hello all.

Im considering a small trailer as apposed to flat towing (for a variety of reasons) our soon to be TOAD 2-dor Chevy Tracker.

What Im thinking is an over-axled, but properly sprung trailer.
Tracker will weigh about 3k. Id like to leave another 1000lb for hauling additional gear as needed.
So I'm considering tandem 3000lb or 3500lb axles, with 2k or so leafs.
Looking to go tandem in hopes of limiting the pin weight on an already heavy tow vehicle. (custom truck camper)

Thoughts?
Any thoughts about such a trailer is welcomed.

Pic of truck & camper
2011 F250 4x4 with a custom camper.

53384686711_e094395420_b.jpg

Pic of tracker... still working on it. :laughing:

53187032570_a4db04a5cb_b.jpg

Proposed...

53516145884_f1730869b0_b.jpg

I spotted this one on marketplace the other day. Though according to the seller its fitted with a mis-matched set of axles.
One being a 2k, the other a 3k, and no brakes. Maybe add another 3k axle and brakes on at least one axle.

53536093055_08938abded_b.jpg

Single axle aluminum 5k trailer would be my vote all day long, keep the tongue long enough that it isn't a pain to back up with your current rig.

don't worry about the tongue weight, you wouldn't think twice about putting a dirtbike on a hitch back there, 5k trailer is going to be about the same thing.

however, what are your variety of reasons? tracker can be flat towed, they just recommend running it in neutral for about 5 minutes whenever you are getting fuel in the prime mover and a tow bar is easy to drag over all kinds of rough terrain. Regardless of what trailer you go with, flat tow will be lighter and easier for the F250 to deal with. Brakes on the flat tow don't matter at all.

I made exactly 1 trip using a tow dolly and have stuck with flat tow ever since behind the RV. Same vehicle with and without the dolly is a noticeable difference in how the weight is handled and far fewer issues without the dolly. I'm probably going to flat tow my F350 across the country even

Single axle aluminum 5k trailer would be my vote all day long, keep the tongue long enough that it isn't a pain to back up with your current rig.

don't worry about the tongue weight, you wouldn't think twice about putting a dirtbike on a hitch back there, 5k trailer is going to be about the same thing.

however, what are your variety of reasons? tracker can be flat towed, they just recommend running it in neutral for about 5 minutes whenever you are getting fuel in the prime mover and a tow bar is easy to drag over all kinds of rough terrain. Regardless of what trailer you go with, flat tow will be lighter and easier for the F250 to deal with. Brakes on the flat tow don't matter at all.

I made exactly 1 trip using a tow dolly and have stuck with flat tow ever since behind the RV. Same vehicle with and without the dolly is a noticeable difference in how the weight is handled and far fewer issues without the dolly. I'm probably going to flat tow my F350 across the country even

Thanks.

Make no mistake, I'm going through the issues in my head with every option.

5k single axle
6k tandem
flat tow....
(BTW there is NO way Id EVER consider a dolly :lmao:)

No matter which way we go there are legit ups and downs.

Reasons specifically against flat towing....

Every mile we put on the truck also goes on the Tracker.
Cannot back up without unhitching
Will need braking system for TOAD (cost + nonsense)
We have a fuel range of 450+ miles as is, and 200mile stops simply are not the norm.
The alternative to stopping every 200 miles is to unbolt the rear driveshaft and tie it up. (more nonsense)

Thanks.

Make no mistake, I'm going through the issues in my head with every option.

5k single axle
6k tandem
flat tow....
(BTW there is NO way Id EVER consider a dolly :lmao:)

No matter which way we go there are legit ups and downs.

Reasons specifically against flat towing....

Every mile we put on the truck also goes on the Tracker.
Cannot back up without unhitching
Will need braking system for TOAD (cost + nonsense)
We have a fuel range of 450+ miles as is, and 200mile stops simply are not the norm.
The alternative to stopping every 200 miles is to unbolt the rear driveshaft and tie it up. (more nonsense)

in my defense, the dolly was free to borrow, though I did have to put tires on it as they got wrecked on the journey :laughing: hence only 1 trip, made me solid to never buy one. :flipoff2:

for the miles, that's a meh, it's just wheel bearings at that point, not a big deal
absolutely can back up without unhitching, i've done it several times. Yes, i've even been in places where I shouldn't have been turning around and just shoved the front end over using the tow bar, steer tires hit their locks and do whatever, no big deal.
don't need a braking system for the toad, that's just absurd "rules" from the "man" about some horseshit. it's painfully obvious that i've just got magnet lights on my toad, thousands of miles across every western state, never a concern or hassle.
I sold my wifes 2002 tracker to a couple that were using it as a toad, 450 miles is fine, 200 miles is soft.
I agree the driveshaft thing is over-rated to unbolt

if you have any concerns on weight, aluminum frame 5k single axle trailer is absolutely the way to go. I've been very close to making the purchase and getting away from flat tow.

$25 craigslist tow bar, light fab for mounts, $25 harbor freight lights, pop it into neutral and go is pretty tough to beat though.

just wanted to offer some counter points. I look forward to the trailer build. Make it long enough you can see it while in the driver seat :smokin:

Just to play devils advocate

Benefits to flat towing.

Less wieght

Less cost

Better off-road ability? Trailers usually don't like rough roads all that much

Easier to turn around if you hit a dead end in bfe. Unhook and drive tracker.

Can have wife get in and help push you up steep grades :flipoff2:

To be honest, I've always preferred trailers. But for something like that, I'd strongly consider flat towing. A full float kit with locking hubs would be nice, not sure if anyone makes one or not.

I know nothing about tracker axles, but if I was thinking about flat towing I’d look into putting lockouts or flanges on both axles.

With the truck loaded up to travel what do your axle weights look like? I think that’s what it comes down to. All things being equal, I’d go with a lightweight trailer. Easiest way to have brakes under the tracker, easiest way to back up. Easiest way to carry a couple more water or fuel cans or whatever else you might need.

All good guys, thanks for the comments.

As for the truck, here we go...

Truck is a 10kGVWR truck, but we run over that. Just one more reason to flat tow :lmao:

53032235549_90a1d51b33_b.jpg

Loaded and wet we are typically between 10,500 & 11,500lbs With 6800lbs or so on the rear axle.
So are within axle ratings, but not my much. I keep the infrared thermometer handy :homer:

A few spec's from the ground up....

285/75r18 Toyo AT2's, rated at 4080lbs each
General Spring leafs (4400lb rated each) w/ airlift bags
General Spring coils (3300lb rated each)
KYB Monomax shocks all around
Dynatrac Freespin up front w/ Warn premiums

Should also me mentioned that to accommodate the 24" cross body box and maintain a 8' bed,
the rear of the chassis (and hitch) was extended 24". So over hang, and any porpoising via a trailer would likely be worse for the truck

29352969227_d0ae3158a0_b.jpg

With a heavy truck camper ANY additional sway and/or porpoising is bad... bad.... bad.... :homer:

Dual axle with shocks on it will not porpoise.

I tow a little single axle trailer I built for my Samurai! With shocks on it, it's very stable. Even with almost zero tongue weight by accident it hasn't done anything funny.

I tow a little single axle trailer I built for my Samurai! With shocks on it, it's very stable. Even with almost zero tongue weight by accident it hasn't done anything funny.
That’s my vote. You could get it dialed in for what you’re doing. Maybe use a weight distributing hitch.

I dont understand the point of the free spin kit on super duties?

Shocks!

Shocks on a trailer was something I had never heard of before until, I bought my ‘06 Vortex toy hauler, 2yrs ago. It’s a bumper pull 31ft with 3 axles and shocks at each wheel. Tows amazing! I don’t even run a weight distribution hitch. Just 90lbs in the air bags. Super stable.

I need to rebuild the springs/bushings/brakes on my 24ft flat bed. I’ll be looking at how put shocks on it.

Shocks!

Shocks on a trailer was something I had never heard of before until, I bought my ‘06 Vortex toy hauler, 2yrs ago. It’s a bumper pull 31ft with 3 axles and shocks at each wheel. Tows amazing! I don’t even run a weight distribution hitch. Just 90lbs in the air bags. Super stable.

I need to rebuild the springs/bushings/brakes on my 24ft flat bed. I’ll be looking at how put shocks on it.
Yeah, I don't know why trailers don't normally have shocks. It the single biggest improvement you can make.

Yeah, I don't know why trailers don't normally have shocks. It the single biggest improvement you can make.
agree. People gave me lot of crap when I added them to my car trailer. #1 best upgrade.

Not sure if he's still around but I believe @Meiser built a small single axle trailer to tow his flatie with. Maybe he'll chime in?

Edit: can't seem to get the tag to work so maybe he's not here or I suck at spelling

What about a landscaping trailer? The tracker looks like it sits high enough that the doors would clear the rails on the trailer. I think they're typically lighter than a car-hauler type trailer, and it would be easier to secure other stuff (gas cans, etc.). If nothing else, it might be worth it as a trial to see if it works/how you like trailering with the truck before going with a more "custom" trailer that would be harder to sell if it doesn't work out.

SteerAndStuff did you make one of these for the old Ibex? tho it had 8 lug wheels
Yes, I built a 14k rated, 1,320lb mini trailer tested to 100 mph. Well, I added center decking and front toolbox after initial weighing. Recently sold it to a buddy since I prefer to keep everything in the enclosed and recently rebuilt a 25' tilt deck flatbed. Here is a build thread on the mini trailer:

What about a landscaping trailer? The tracker looks like it sits high enough that the doors would clear the rails on the trailer. I think they're typically lighter than a car-hauler type trailer, and it would be easier to secure other stuff (gas cans, etc.). If nothing else, it might be worth it as a trial to see if it works/how you like trailering with the truck before going with a more "custom" trailer that would be harder to sell if it doesn't work out.

I always thought they would suck as a car hauler, until I got one for super cheap from 2bb. I actually really like the stupid thing. It's moved a bunch of different Toyotas and zuks, in luding 2 long trips with my 5k lb wheeler on it.

It's also been super handy for moving random shit with it's low height, big ramp and the side rail. Definitely a Swiss army knife trailer.

I dont understand the point of the free spin kit on super duties?
100% to get away from unit bearings in favor of serviceable hubs.
And in my book, worth every penny, especially running heavy as we do.

Top Back Refresh