What's new

Skittles aka: Timber Tiger

i can only see the one, but your front diff keeps throwing me off for the other :laughing:

I'm I'm seeing things correctly I believe you can see it in the very bottom of the winch mount just above the upper link triangle.

Cool pic. I've always l dug this rig.

Fucking thing carries tires like Krunch did with leaf springs.

I am on the fence with air shocks. I may throw a set in and see how well they work stacked up against the ORI’s. I think I could use a lot more travel, I get hung up on everything it seems, chasing these fuckers with portals now.

Fucking thing carries tires like Krunch did with leaf springs.

I am on the fence with air shocks. I may throw a set in and see how well they work stacked up against the ORI’s. I think I could use a lot more travel, I get hung up on everything it seems, chasing these fuckers with portals now.

is that with water in the tires?

Only in the front

makes me think it is a weight transfer, suspension design issue. though, i'm not really sure it is an issue as long as it is stable and the tire on the ground isn't losing traction. you only get so much weight to play with, would having the rear tire touch the ground with very little pressure, say from just a droppy suspension, give you any more forward progress than having one tire with that extra pressure from having all the rear weight on it?

i'd rather carry a tire, personally, and have something i was confident in the stability of

If there is one thing I hate, it’s ball joints...

20t isn’t touching this fucker....

F5C56AC1-243C-4E71-8F65-4A4A23E1D122.jpeg

makes me think it is a weight transfer, suspension design issue. though, i'm not really sure it is an issue as long as it is stable and the tire on the ground isn't losing traction. you only get so much weight to play with, would having the rear tire touch the ground with very little pressure, say from just a droppy suspension, give you any more forward progress than having one tire with that extra pressure from having all the rear weight on it?

i'd rather carry a tire, personally, and have something i was confident in the stability of

The one nice thing about a ton of droop on a pure crawler is letting the winches out when you get belly hung.

Stubs, are you getting full droop with the ori's? One downside of them I have read about is loosing a bit of droop because of the lower pressure. Wilson had them for his LJ, but he also had air bumps and sway bars in order to tune them how he wanted.

I wonder if running less lower pressure and adding a sway bar could help with what you are talking about.

I am getting all the droop you can out of ORI’s. I might be able to get a bit more if I get crazy on tuning them.

No need for air bumps, no one I know runs them anymore for what we do.

I hate sway bars. Hell, I did ORI’s because I didn’t want to put them on my car.

I may get into air shocks and sway bars but not at the moment. I will say that it makes driving much more technical when chasing everyone in my group who has rear steer, 4d 2’s, and portals... making me a better driver I guess??

I’ve been interested in ori’s but I’ve wondered if buggies don’t have enough weight to make them “work” if that makes sense. I know some of your group has ran them in the past and are now on air shocks. What do they say?

A couple guys I wheel with run them and all liked them for what they are. But not doing extreme stuff you are and all full bodied.

I am getting all the droop you can out of ORI’s. I might be able to get a bit more if I get crazy on tuning them.

No need for air bumps, no one I know runs them anymore for what we do.

I hate sway bars. Hell, I did ORI’s because I didn’t want to put them on my car.

I may get into air shocks and sway bars but not at the moment. I will say that it makes driving much more technical when chasing everyone in my group who has rear steer, 4d 2’s, and portals... making me a better driver I guess??

I wasn't suggesting air bumps, I don't see the benefit for a crawler.

Why would you go to air shocks and sway bars instead of tuning the ori's to work with sway bars?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were getting at?

I've always enjoyed having the underdog rig also. It makes it that much better when you follow a more capable rig and even more so when you make something they can't.

My retort I guess would be why have sway bars with ORI’s?

That’s like wearing slip on galoshes over your rubber boots.

My retort I guess would be why have sway bars with ORI’s?

That’s like wearing slip on galoshes over your rubber boots.

sway bars serve a different function than shocks/springs/struts.

sway bars add in stability by using weight transfer to force one side to act on the other side, in a sense, you would be going to lower pressure on the ORI to give it more force to shove the hanging tire down and use the sway bar to bring back in the stability to keep the tire up. Seems like you could get pretty close compromise by just playing around with the ORI pressures and valving or just let it be soft when cornering. Especially with water in the tires, you can lean the body way the hell over and it isn't going to tip

So I have a leaky long tube axle seal. While doing my normal bandaid fix I seen that my upper ball joint was not in the best shape. After some struggle bus due to being a idiot I removed and replaced it.

Made some basic strike pads and installation is easy cheezy now.

288FF1A1-78FE-4A57-9105-091B3F7354BB.jpeg

D6F2AA05-FF5B-43E7-94E9-7B71E6497C46.jpeg

So I have a leaky long tube axle seal. While doing my normal bandaid fix I seen that my upper ball joint was not in the best shape. After some struggle bus due to being a idiot I removed and replaced it.

Made some basic strike pads and installation is easy cheezy now.

Just curious

Why not do BJ eliminators?

I guess because I’m cheap and don’t see a need for my application. the one that wore out was in the knuckle when I built the axle 4 plus seasons ago.

Last few trips drove me nuts... had a squealing alt. belt. Last trip it got so bad that it stopped charging at times.

I relocated my alternator because of upper link issues and you can see the bracket I made. I was using a #7395 belt but it was right at the end of the tension limit. I replaced the belt with a # 7390 (next size smaller). It’s a way right fit, actually have to loosen up the bracket just to fight the belt on but at least it’s got plenty of room to tighten.

1AC6A405-1A8A-4933-A734-84488B6FB527.jpeg

So get your tires off the ground, remove the valve stem, and fill. don’t forget to pop the hose off every now and again to release the air as you fill.

160C9A74-4FCB-4382-A4E7-486BCC7601E7.jpeg

great looking truck :)

How much water do you put in? like 1/2 way full? As much as you can get? Just curious. I'll never need water in my tires :laughing:

Top Back Refresh