What's new

Skipper's First Sailboat Race

Fuck me. Spring series, first two races - first was an ABCD course. It was a good course with land obstruction between B and C. It was a clever setup. Winds were building and I had a shit helmsman. She simply would not do what I told her. She will not be invited back regardless of the 1st place that we took in that race.

2nd and final race was a downwind start and long run. Fuckin lady was shit. I'm now understanding why her J27 isn't wiping the field. Winds were 15 mph gusting to high 20s. Lot of main dumping going on and affecting point which didn't matter much since I couldn't get her to quit steering upwind with every gust. Fuckin pain in my ass. We had to beat back in those winds.
I could probably have finished better sailing solo.
Was she feathering up in the gusts to depower the boat? It's a solid driving technique so you don't have to constantly keep playing the main and finding proper trim every time. Backstay wailed on? Playing vang?

Outhaul looks good, more purchase is great. Can you run the cam cleat further forward and turn it 90 degrees so you're pulling aft to tighten it? If it's further forward you or your crew can reach it when the main is dumped for a downwind and forget to do it before making the turn around a mark. Right now, the driver has to do it or somebody has to clamber over the driver to do it.

Was she feathering up in the gusts to depower the boat? It's a solid driving technique so you don't have to constantly keep playing the main and finding proper trim every time. Backstay wailed on? Playing vang?

Outhaul looks good, more purchase is great. Can you run the cam cleat further forward and turn it 90 degrees so you're pulling aft to tighten it? If it's further forward you or your crew can reach it when the main is dumped for a downwind and forget to do it before making the turn around a mark. Right now, the driver has to do it or somebody has to clamber over the driver to do it.
No, she is a terrible student and listener. She owns a J27 and now I know why it doesn't win. Her attention span is like w hummingbird. Stay course and make minor adjustments in course to keep power in the sails while pointing. Nope, all over the place. I'm watching the bow move +/- a foot at a time. Ridiculous. I'd be sheeting and look up at the indicator. She adjusts quickly in response. No wonder, she has drifted from close haul to close reach or worse. She just doesn't fucking pay attention. And, dead serious, there was no feathering upwind. I get that. This was bearing upwind u til sails would luff. I've never been so happy to be done sailing.

I considered running that outhaul aft. All that it takes is another cheek block to turn it. Probably not a bad idea.

Oh, one more thing, she sends me a fucking email link about how to sheet properly in heavier winds. I'd be livid if she was ever going to be on my boat again. 😂

No, she is a terrible student and listener. She owns a J27 and now I know why it doesn't win. Her attention span is like w hummingbird. Stay course and make minor adjustments in course to keep power in the sails while pointing. Nope, all over the place. I'm watching the bow move +/- a foot at a time. Ridiculous. I'd be sheeting and look up at the indicator. She adjusts quickly in response. No wonder, she has drifted from close haul to close reach or worse. She just doesn't fucking pay attention. And, dead serious, there was no feathering upwind. I get that. This was bearing upwind u til sails would luff. I've never been so happy to be done sailing.

I considered running that outhaul aft. All that it takes is another cheek block to turn it. Probably not a bad idea.
I remembered that we had the cleat before a little block so when you pulled the line in the block, it would tighten and catch the cleat, to loosen it, you had to finger it between the block and pop it out of the cleat, but the line was always kept in line with the cleat. I confused myself writing this.....

I remembered that we had the cleat before a little block so when you pulled the line in the block, it would tighten and catch the cleat, to loosen it, you had to finger it between the block and pop it out of the cleat, but the line was always kept in line with the cleat. I confused myself writing this.....
1711389352639.png

Top Back Refresh