What's new

Skipper's First Sailboat Race

rugger

TheOrginalMiataGuy
Member Number
Loc
Roanoke, VA
I had my first sailboat race as a skipper last weekend. And, it was my first time racing my boat that I've had for a year and have been sailing it for 7 months. I've raced two seasons as crew on another boat. Mine is a S2 7.3, by the way.

19260.jpeg

It was nearly a total loss when I got it. It was what one thinks of when you say "free boat". :laughing:

So, here's to christening her as "Mink" pouring rum on her bow, taking rum and tequila shots and then finishing her first race in 2nd place only being beat by a seasoned J27 and crew.

I had my first sailboat race as a skipper last weekend. And, it was my first time racing my boat that I've had for a year and have been sailing it for 7 months. I've raced two seasons as crew on another boat. Mine is a S2 7.3, by the way.

19260.jpeg

It was nearly a total loss when I got it. It was what one thinks of when you say "free boat". :laughing:

So, here's to christening her as "Mink" pouring rum on her bow, taking rum and tequila shots and then finishing her first race in 2nd place only being beat by a seasoned J27 and crew.
nice boat-- what's the size of it?

One of these days; I might just say "fuck it all" and sail away... Maybe sail off the edge of the Earth thingy...:homer::homer:
OP Nice boat....Congrats on you race! I have always been nervous about sailing bow to bow.. :smokin:

It's PHRF based on location.
Not much they can do. :smokin:
And my sails are blown out. They might be fucked if I get sails. :smokin::laughing:
Or put Baltoplate on instead of ablative (after fairing the hull first) :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Yeah, im trying to make your life suck in labor and maintenance for that extra .1kn

Saturday is our final set of races.

I'm solidly in 2nd place if I don't fuck up. Winds should be light. We rock in these conditions and should have the advantage over those that don't sail well in light winds.

Congratulations In advance Captain.:flipoff2:

And "Free Boat??"

The most expensive boat I've ever had was a free one.:lmao:
It's not too bad. I could have bought a boat in sailing condition for what I have in it now. But, I have learned every system and touched everything on the boat. I'm about $3500 into it now and that includes a $700 autopilot. It's really not that bad.

It's not too bad. I could have bought a boat in sailing condition for what I have in it now. But, I have learned every system and touched everything on the boat. I'm about $3500 into it now and that includes a $700 autopilot. It's really not that bad.

It's like shooting sports. It's expensive, but as I point out to people, it's cheaper than motorsports

I'm dying over here. Waiting for results.
Last races of the series were Saturday.
Pretty sure we had podium finishes for all three races. Last race a J27 cleaned up the entire field i. Super light wind. I think that she was picking up some really high wind.

There was another S2 7.3 racing with us.
He talked my ear off afterwards at the social and wants me to teach him some trimming lessons. I took it as a great compliment for being a first year sailor.

Top Back Refresh