What's new

Sidedick sport build

Rolled it outside with blocks between the frame and axles, roughly at 4 inches of uptravel to full bump in the front. Other than the factory Toyota wheels, I absolutely love the look of it so far. Hopefully I can go to some machined finish method beadlocks in the future and ditch the wheel spacers.

20210825_152835.jpg
20210825_152822.jpg

Sweet!

Toyota axles are a great fit for these. I actually think the wms is exactly the same as an IFS Toyota rear.

If I had some Fj80s, I would have put them under the side shit, probably would have actually driven it by now too :laughing:

Finally received my shocks and bumpstops, the gen 2 locked off-road shocks are pretty nice units with standard dual speed compression adjustment, I also ordered the new style dual speed reservoirs for my gen 1 locked shocks. Now to get everything installed.
20211107_215754.jpg

Well, things got complicated fairly quickly. Getting the 2.5s to fit in the front is going to be a packaging nightmare 😂
20211126_221140.jpg
20211128_002813.jpg
20211128_005906.jpg
20211128_005918.jpg

Got the upper coilovers mounts welded in and threw the coilovers in there for effect.
My ugly ass for scale, I don't know why I love tiny vehicles.
20211129_224657.jpg
20211129_224126.jpg
20211129_224904.jpg

This statement is what immediately comes to mind when YotaAtieToo says mini truck axles are a perfect fit 🤣

Well, for something mild, that you don't want the whole tire hanging out, they're great. I would have done leafs for something like this.

2.5 c/o's are large on just about anything though. OP should have planned better :flipoff2:

I was well aware at the beginning that they were going to suck to package in there. I probably would have done 2.0s if I hadn't already had the 12" 2.5s. looking back I should have just sold them and gone smaller, but what is the fun in that? :laughing:

Also, putting two and two together, I realized the new locked off-road coilovers are just rebranded and actually made by carbon shocks. Closer inspection and more handling revealed that they are not as nicely finished as the gen 1s I already had, and the shitty black coating on them comes off WAYYYYY to easily. The spring sliders are just going to rip the shit off in no time mixed with a little dirt. That and the dust caps were not tight and there is air in the shocks, they make wooshy air sounds when cycling :mad3:

OH, and I ordered the new dual speed compression reservoirs for the front shocks to make them match the rear better, and was told they would ship out "right after sema"

Welp, still haven't seen those, more false promises from the guy who claims he has the best customer service in the industry.

I wish I would have known that the new ones I was getting wouldn't match the front, because now it's not going to look as nice as I originally wanted. Oh well, I can just upgrade to internal bypass kings in the future :homer:

I was well aware at the beginning that they were going to suck to package in there. I probably would have done 2.0s if I hadn't already had the 12" 2.5s. looking back I should have just sold them and gone smaller, but what is the fun in that? :laughing:

Also, putting two and two together, I realized the new locked off-road coilovers are just rebranded and actually made by carbon shocks. Closer inspection and more handling revealed that they are not as nicely finished as the gen 1s I already had, and the shitty black coating on them comes off WAYYYYY to easily. The spring sliders are just going to rip the shit off in no time mixed with a little dirt. That and the dust caps were not tight and there is air in the shocks, they make wooshy air sounds when cycling :mad3:

OH, and I ordered the new dual speed compression reservoirs for the front shocks to make them match the rear better, and was told they would ship out "right after sema"

Welp, still haven't seen those, more false promises from the guy who claims he has the best customer service in the industry.

I wish I would have known that the new ones I was getting wouldn't match the front, because now it's not going to look as nice as I originally wanted. Oh well, I can just upgrade to internal bypass kings in the future :homer:
I waited about 7 months for some air bumps from carbon, they ended up not being the ones I ordered(size or style.) and the adjusting rings came all banged up. pretty annoyed. glad I didn't order form them again.

Top Back Refresh