What's new

Shop in the woods.

Talk to Morton before figuring out your concrete. They are a pole barn type structure and will tell you what you need to have ready for them to build.
very nice and pretty pricey. My 44x32 priced out around $50k @ 44x30.

What I ended up doin was. A Carolina Carports 44x32 10’ walls.

Earthwork Foundation and slab $15k
Building $22k
Doors $8k

That is where I’m at now.
Click image for larger version Name:	3D0D8B77-30CF-4955-8DBE-87D3A0D459D7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	291.2 KB ID:	368460
Click image for larger version Name:	3D0D8B77-30CF-4955-8DBE-87D3A0D459D7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	291.2 KB ID:	368466 Click image for larger version Name:	41AE3FDA-363B-4C88-9977-0E973DB57025.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	326.9 KB ID:	368461 Click image for larger version Name:	3FEF8438-9770-47A4-BBD9-D8DC24986442.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	620.9 KB ID:	368463 Click image for larger version Name:	F3B634B7-C839-4935-8531-A1D1AADBEC7F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	368464 Click image for larger version Name:	6CDAC377-100A-4014-B5C3-F289ED09351D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	589.8 KB ID:	368465 Click image for larger version Name:	3D0D8B77-30CF-4955-8DBE-87D3A0D459D7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	291.2 KB ID:	368466

67FC03AA-58A6-431F-81A8-FDFAD1AACF9C.jpeg

Talk to Morton before figuring out your concrete. They are a pole barn type structure and will tell you what you need to have ready for them to build.
very nice and pretty pricey. My 44x32 priced out around $50k @ 44x30.

What I ended up doin was. A Carolina Carports 44x32 10’ walls.

Earthwork Foundation and slab $15k
Building $22k
Doors $8k

Yea, I need to call. I'm trying to email, but they keep getting kicked back as return to sender.

So it was $30k for the building and doors then. That gives me a idea on the budget then. I'm looking at $23k just for the concrete. So yea, looks like I'll be nearing the $80k mark then all set and done.

Thanks for those pics.

Yea, I need to call. I'm trying to email, but they keep getting kicked back as return to sender.

So it was $30k for the building and doors then. That gives me a idea on the budget then. I'm looking at $23k just for the concrete. So yea, looks like I'll be nearing the $80k mark then all set and done.

Thanks for those pics.

Yes 2x8’-6”x10’
2x8’-6”x12’ overhead doors
2x 36”x80” prehung doors
I got them locally Carolina did the openings to size. Carolina offers roll up doors but I wanted something that fit with the house better.

It’s a drive through garage so doors only on one end would be substantially less.

If you want anymore pictures or details let me know.

Yes 2x8’-6”x10’
2x8’-6”x12’ overhead doors
2x 36”x80” prehung doors
I got them locally Carolina did the openings to size. Carolina offers roll up doors but I wanted something that fit with the house better.

It’s a drive through garage so doors only on one end would be substantially less.

If you want anymore pictures or details let me know.

I'll just need to see about a taller building since I'm looking to get a lift in there.

Good stuff. Thanks man. :beer:

Make sure what ever building you put up your garage doors in the gable side. Do not put them on the eve side. You’ll thank me later

...and put the door under the beam sticking out of the garage so you can lift the head off your giant excavator that won't fit inside.

Make sure what ever building you put up your garage doors in the gable side. Do not put them on the eve side. You’ll thank me later

yea, that's on the list. As well as proper headers. :flipoff2:

I know a guy that's got a barn with lean to on either side of his driveway. All the snow lands in the driveway where he grabs it with the plow and pushes it elsewhere in one violent 40mph pass. :laughing:

Just got off the phone with Morton buildings. 18 month backlog. Not even taking new clients for about four months. Gave me some info, but that was it. I guess 30x42 is a more standard dimension they go with, but they go with increments of 6'. They'd love to sit with me and discuss plans though. He's going to call back in a month or two to follow up. Suggested I get the site work done, clear the land, level it off, but do not do anything with foundations. Gave me nothing on pricing as they have no idea how its going to turn out. They've had an increase of 24% on their costs since last Fall.

So looks like I have a bit of time to clear some room.

Who you using for concrete? Take it to PM if you want

Just got off the phone with Morton buildings. 18 month backlog. Not even taking new clients for about four months. Gave me some info, but that was it. I guess 30x42 is a more standard dimension they go with, but they go with increments of 6'. They'd love to sit with me and discuss plans though. He's going to call back in a month or two to follow up. Suggested I get the site work done, clear the land, level it off, but do not do anything with foundations. Gave me nothing on pricing as they have no idea how its going to turn out. They've had an increase of 24% on their costs since last Fall.

So looks like I have a bit of time to clear some room.

some of the same issues I ran into. Give Carolina carports a call or do an online custom build and see what they have to offer. Phone calls don’t cost you anything. Shrug.

Got another email from another company.

Thank you for your interest in our company.

Due to a large back log of work, sky rocketing material prices and shortages we are not taking on any more work this year.

Contact me if you have any questions.

:homer:

So this thing has been dead in the water for some time now. I dub around here and there with it. Couple weeks ago I took down seven trees, been working on processing those. I worked on it for half a day this weekend which sucked. As was explained in the GCC thread, a tree got hung up into another tree. Took something like 3.5h to finally get it on the ground. THat was a disaster.

All in all, doing the tree work by hand is a shit show. I'll be renting an ex for this. I need to get some dimensions first though. Between a narrowish driveway and low utility lines, I need to get one that works.

Quick video I slapped together tonight to show what I'm working with:
<iframe width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: none;" src="shop2"></iframe>

Welp. I guess I can't link BitChute?

That's the link there.

Either way, slow going. Not much motivation since buy any form of material is joke, nevermind getting someone out here. But that's where we are.

You won't have any issue pushing all those over with an excavator. Look for something that weighs around 40k.

Those Mortons are badass. Money no object, that’s what I would get.

You’re in New England… google Amish barn builder and research that. All the farmers around here get the Amish to come down from upstate NY or Pennsylvania and they are significantly cheaper than anyone else and seem to do a fine job.

Those Mortons are badass. Money no object, that’s what I would get.

You’re in New England… google Amish barn builder and research that. All the farmers around here get the Amish to come down from upstate NY or Pennsylvania and they are significantly cheaper than anyone else and seem to do a fine job.
Getting the Amish to come out here is iffy. I know of someone with a phone call out to an Amish builder and there had to be discussion to come this far, and Woods is further than me

Quick update. Just clearing more trees. Fucked up the tractor though. So now I have that to deal with.

Just, one tree after another getting hung up. :homer:

Just upgrade to a real thumb since you have a reason to do so and fuckton of trees to move.

Just upgrade to a real thumb since you have a reason to do so and fuckton of trees to move.
Like a hydraulic you mean? I had the hardest time looking for something would work...

Like a hydraulic you mean? I had the hardest time looking for something would work...

Make something that works. But make it alot beefier than that POS thumb you bought and welded on. That thing in no way looks sturdy built enough for the size of the machine you are running it on.

wow, not a lot done here. :homer:

So today's update:

Been chatting about this with others on here.

Looks like a GC may be the right choice for me. I am brand new into concrete and still wrapping my head around what needs to be done. Its not looking like its going to be cheap to knock this out. I'm going to work on getting a GC guy here or something to give me some ideas on what they can do.

I need the site work, concrete, and building framed and sheathed. After that, Dad and I can mostly do the rest.

Buy a (small) trenching/stump bucket for your FEL and let us know if that solves the "tractor doesn't have enough ass to take a bite out of the hill" problem. Because it seems to me that the only thing keeping you from just getting on with the damn project is that you don't have a machine that can take a good bite out of the hill.

It will be less yards of material moved (because you only have to clear the rooted top soil once, not twice, and don't have to build up around your slab) for you to just attack the hillside until everything is the same level as that rock.

Buy a (small) trenching/stump bucket for your FEL and let us know if that solves the "tractor doesn't have enough ass to take a bite out of the hill" problem. Because it seems to me that the only thing keeping you from just getting on with the damn project is that you don't have a machine that can take a good bite out of the hill.

It will be less yards of material moved (because you only have to clear the rooted top soil once, not twice, and don't have to build up around your slab) for you to just attack the hillside until everything is the same level as that rock.
I've got a grapple, and some of the rocks I'm trying to move on the hillside are 3/4 the size of the tractor. I can shift them around a little, but to move them entirely is going to require a completely different machine. I'd just rent an ex or a week, but not sure what should go where. I've got to price out what a guy that knows what he's doing to run a machine. that way he knew what material was good to move and what wasn't.

I'm not certain the material on the hill would even make for a good base on the foundation.

On a more serious note...
I've got a grapple, and some of the rocks I'm trying to move on the hillside are 3/4 the size of the tractor.
Do you own a good hammer drill? For $50 in wedges and a little BFH action you can make them into small rocks.

I've got to price out what a guy that knows what he's doing to run a machine. that way he knew what material was good to move and what wasn't.
In order to hire someone you need a detailed plan for how you want the site to be at the end of their work and you don't really have that since the details of that plan are pending what you find as you start prepping the site.

I'm not certain the material on the hill would even make for a good base on the foundation.
Another reason to just dig into the hill.

Top Back Refresh