What's new

Scope for mini 30?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
So please keep in mind I know very little about scopes or what im even talking about.

I just picked up a mini 30 and would like to be able to hit something paper plate sized from about 200 yards.

I like my basic red dot on my cheapo AR but with no magnification I seem to be limited to about 130 yards litterally shooting paper plates. I like the way the gun is set up and really dont want to change it... so onto the mini 30.

What site/scope/optic thing do I want. One thing that is semi important to me is that it can take minor bumps and bruises without being thrown off. It may be a year between shots but when Im scrambling for it to shoot a coyote id prefer it to be somewhat accurate.

all depends on what magnification you want. budget?

this wouldnt be bad if you wanted a lower power scope

all depends on what magnification you want. budget?

this wouldnt be bad if you wanted a lower power scope

No idea what magnification I want... thats why I said a paper plate at 200 yards.

Whats the deal with the 2x prism scope things? Are they like a fancy red dot?

Obviously cheaper is better but $200 is very doable and might be able to be convinced to spend more

Swfa makes pretty decent stuff as far as durability goes. The glass itself is far from high end. I have a pile of scopes from them and have no complaints. That scope I linked is generally going for $375-$400

Never messed with the 2x prism before. Looks like a 2x red dot. But I have no Idea.

So please keep in mind I know very little about scopes or what im even talking about.

I just picked up a mini 30 and would like to be able to hit something paper plate sized from about 200 yards.

I like my basic red dot on my cheapo AR but with no magnification I seem to be limited to about 130 yards litterally shooting paper plates. I like the way the gun is set up and really dont want to change it... so onto the mini 30.

What site/scope/optic thing do I want. One thing that is semi important to me is that it can take minor bumps and bruises without being thrown off. It may be a year between shots but when Im scrambling for it to shoot a coyote id prefer it to be somewhat accurate.
5.56 or 7.62x39?

Have 5.56
Want a 7.62x39

I like mine

I have become a fan of higher power scopes and at 200yds a paper plate is going to look pretty small at 4x, I know people use 4x all the time at 200 or beyond, but me I think 6x is about the going in spot. Primary Arms makes a 1-6x that has a BDC reticle for 7.62x39.

Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope Gen III - Illuminated ACSS-300BO/7.62x39

5.56 or 7.62x39?

Have 5.56
Want a 7.62x39

I like mine
Mini30 is 7.62
Mini14 is 5.56

What mini30 did you get? Is it the newer ranch rifle or the older style with the side mount? If the former any scope is fine just make sure you get the correct rings or a pic rails that mounts to the ranch rifle mount. If its the older style pass on the side mount they just suck unless you buck up for the expensive one. About $200 just for the mount. Then they come loose anyway.

Mini30 is 7.62
Mini14 is 5.56

What mini30 did you get? Is it the newer ranch rifle or the older style with the side mount? If the former any scope is fine just make sure you get the correct rings or a pic rails that mounts to the ranch rifle mount. If its the older style pass on the side mount they just suck unless you buck up for the expensive one. About $200 just for the mount. Then they come loose anyway.
I went completely blank on that....getting old sucks
Thanks

Mini30 is 7.62
Mini14 is 5.56

This kind
20221117_171905.jpg
20221117_171909.jpg

This kind
20221117_171905.jpg
20221117_171909.jpg

Thats the ranch style receiver. Easy to mount a scope and theyre solid. Id throw a regular 3-9x scope on it. Its not a real accurate rifle, about 2 moa on average so I wouldnt drop a lot of cash on one. Ive got 9 minis and another 8 m1 and m1As and 3 m1 carbines. Im a fan of the garand style action I dig the way the action feels while shooting.

I just liked the lack of turrets on the one you recommended. Have a 1-6 swfa sitting on the shelf. It's a badass scope for something. But most of my rifles are a 6x, or a 3-9. Have one with a red dot that needs changed

A 3x9 vortex would be my choice. It's not like you're going to be throwing the gun in the bed of the sami and running the Rubicon so most any half assed decent scope will work fine.

Paper plate accuracy at 200 yards with a mini 14 or 30 is pretty optimistic.:flipoff2:

I'll throw in another vote for the primary arms 1-6. It would be a good pairing.
Sig and burris also have a good reasonably priced 1-6 offerings.
SWFA makes a good and pretty stout scope for the money, but 4x is probably going to be a little low for 200 yards.

3-9 would work pretty well too and be less tacticool.

If you can find a discontinued Nikon P300BLK for a decent price grab it. The BDC subtensions work for 7.62x39 and 458s as well as 300BLK and it’s a nice scope.

Paper plate accuracy at 200 yards with a mini 14 or 30 is pretty optimistic.:flipoff2:

I'll throw in another vote for the primary arms 1-6. It would be a good pairing.
Sig and burris also have a good reasonably priced 1-6 offerings.
SWFA makes a good and pretty stout scope for the money, but 4x is probably going to be a little low for 200 yards.

3-9 would work pretty well too and be less tacticool.

Thats a litttle much. The minis arent subMOA guns but theyll easily do 2 MOA or sub 4" groups at 200yds.

Thats a litttle much. The minis arent subMOA guns but theyll easily do 2 MOA or sub 4" groups at 200yds.
The early minis are that bad. It is very well documented,
You aren't getting 4" groups with a mini at 200 yards. If you claim that you are, you are lying.

That said they are a fine rifle for what they are.
2 big Bronco, you get the first focal plane, or the second focal plane model?

Either one should work well with a mini30.:beer:

You aren't getting 4" groups with a mini at 200 yards. If you claim that you are, you are lying.

That said they are a fine rifle for what they are.
2 big Bronco, you get the first focal plane, or the second focal plane model?

Either one should work well with a mini30.:beer:

Is that statement from experience or internet folklore? Im out of town for thanksgiving. When I go back next week Ill take my two oldest minis to the range and run 100 and 200 yard groups. Fwiw one is a folder with a 16 barrel including the welded flash hider. Theyre both 1xx series rifles so I hope thats old enough. Both have 3-9 scopes ones a ranch the folder is a sidemount. Neither is a tack driver by any means but we'll see what they do.

Is that statement from experience or internet folklore? Im out of town for thanksgiving. When I go back next week Ill take my two oldest minis to the range and run 100 and 200 yard groups. Fwiw one is a folder with a 16 barrel including the welded flash hider. Theyre both 1xx series rifles so I hope thats old enough. Both have 3-9 scopes ones a ranch the folder is a sidemount. Neither is a tack driver by any means but we'll see what they do.
I can back up his statements with my own experience. Of a mini 14 and 30

Texas, are you backing up my statement or fed boy Stuck's statement?
The mini 14-30 is not and has never been capable of 4" groups at 200 yards.

Most ARs won't even shoot that.

If 2BB would post up his target at 100yards once his scope arrives, we can see factory accuracy of a mini 30.

I can back up his statements with my own experience. Of a mini 14 and 30
Like i said Ill take em out and record the results. Ive killed lots of groundhogs with the ranch out to 200yds. It was the goto tractor gun for years. Its a stock rifle, no custom work, no fancy struts. Ive never actually measured the groups on either of em. I do know that they are paper plate accurate at 200yds.

Texas, are you backing up my statement or fed boy Stuck's statement?
The mini 14-30 is not and has never been capable of 4" groups at 200 yards.

Most ARs won't even shoot that.

If 2BB would post up his target at 100yards once his scope arrives, we can see factory accuracy of a mini 30.

im with you on that i dislike a mini with a passion. minute of cow on a good day, was my experience with two different ones. i traded them off and went to an AR about 23 years ago.

Like i said Ill take em out and record the results. Ive killed lots of groundhogs with the ranch out to 200yds. It was the goto tractor gun for years. Its a stock rifle, no custom work, no fancy struts. Ive never actually measured the groups on either of em. I do know that they are paper plate accurate at 200yds.

your results may be better, who knows. i just know it wasnt for me. and i knew this long before there was a damn thing on the internet other than an AOL chatroom and a dial up connection.

Top Back Refresh