What's new

School me on a vise.

Yota Up

Dull man
Member Number
Never had a vise and it's time I got one.

What things to look for, what to avoid?
Swivel base, is that a must have or whatever?

What things to consider before mounting it on my bench? I expect I should try to have as much room to the left and right of it, away from drill press and miter saw and grinder?

Looking to buy one used, either off CL, FB, or a garage sale. Not sure how much I should expect to spend. Any old school gems to keep an eye out for?

Wilton X however many.

There’s a lot of stuff I get away with from Harbor Fail but their vises aren’t one of them. Find a used American made Wilton and you will pass it on to one of your grandkids, and they their grandkids.

Last edited:
I guess serious answer...I went with a 6" Yost, this one to be exact: Amazon.ca

Nothing too fancy, has been decent enough, jaws are a bit sloppy on alignment and those vise mounted bending/brake things don't fit on very nicely, but clamps well and hasn't given me actual trouble. Of course the prices have doubled, I paid $118 for it back in 2016.

Wilton X however many.

There’s a lot of stuff I get away with from Harbor Fail but their vices aren’t one of them. Find a used American made Wilton and you will pass it on to one of your grandkids, and they their grandkids.
Pretty much this. My wife bought me a USA made Wilton machinist vise a few years ago for Christmas. Built like a tank and about the size of one as well. No kids, so it's up for grabs when I die:flipoff2:
My Vise

Pretty much this. My wife bought me a USA made Wilton machinist vise a few years ago for Christmas. Built like a tank and about the size of one as well. No kids, so it's up for grabs when I die:flipoff2:
My Vise
Jesus Christ! I knew a wilton was expensive, but almost 2000 dollars? Wow. OP I suggest buy used from flea market, yard sale, estate sale, etc.. find someone who doesn't know what they have lol.

My Vise
Dibs? Very nice. I’ve been abusing my 4 1/4 one for about 25 years already. My dad has a big one, 8” that’s probably as old as I am. I’ve seen friends break brand new harbor fail ones because they are shitty chinesium cast. Meanwhile we’re putting cheater pipes on the handles of our Wilton’s and using them as anvils and they are still square and solid.

Jesus Christ! I knew a wilton was expensive, but almost 2000 dollars? Wow. OP I suggest buy used from flea market, yard sale, estate sale, etc.. find someone who doesn't know what they have lol.
I don't know for sure what she paid since it was gift, but it was several years ago prior to Build Back Better economics.

I bought a Wilton in a 2nd hand store in Yuma for $80, the gal that was running the place definitely did not know what she had. But I'm sure if I wanted a set of used dishes or a blender, she would have had me.

Wilton are nice but $$$.

I've got a #6 Record(made in England) that's served me pretty damn well. Got it basically new from a buddy for $50. His shop was gonna toss it because it wasn't needed anymore. :shaking:

search on cl for "vice"
eventually you'll find one or ten
You're not wrong. I see plenty of new items show up when I spell it that way.:laughing:

Just saw a rusty old Wilton. They want $1,500 for it.:eek:

Make friends with someone that works for a big outfit that has an unlimited budget.. my Wilton came from the power co.that burns the forest down every year.. the handle was bent a bit.. they threw it in the scrap bin.

How picky should I be about a swivel base? I see a bunch with and a bunch without.

Is it a big deal and must have or whatever?

I would get a swivel base if it’s bolted to a table.

Growing up, we had a vise that was mounted to a very heavy duty grinder pedestal sit in a concrete filled tire. No swivel base required there.

I have an old non-swivel wilton, mounted on the corner of the welding table for more options with odd shaped pieces. Works well enough I wouldn't replace it.

I have a vice that is a dedicated grinding pedestal
it does not swivel

I have another vice that is mounted to the work bench, it swivels

I will x2 on being friends with people that work for shops with deep pockets, I scored a 14" vice because the jaws (replaceable) were wore out and someone took them off and never replaced them, I scooped that thing up quick

Go with the fireball DIY. But you do have to have a welder and know someone that can cut the pieces if you don’t have them.
image.jpg

Swivel base is nice, unless you are really reefing on something. Then a solid base is great. Also depending on what you are doing a post vice is the tits.

Top Back Refresh