What's new

S@W .357 trade for a 9?

Trashman

Trainwreck
Member Number
I have a GP100 and S@W .357. (686)

Basically both the same, stainless 4" barrell. I like the GP better myself, but they are both great.

I am consisering trying to trade the 686 for a concealable 9 of some sort but I havent found a clear value on a 686. One person offered me a Derringer (in 38)😄

I havent gotten into the gun life enough to really know values well. I would like a Shield, SIG 365 (probably over mines value) or similar type gun. Even an SP101 or LCR maybe.

I like my GP100, but concealing it sucks. I dont need two .357s and my current fun money is going too my truck build for now.

Looking at gun broker for 30 seconds, your gun is selling for about the cost of 2 shields or more :laughing:

I paid $550 for my 365xl with 3 mags and a (pos) holster.

You should be able to get a new shield for under $400. Why not just go buy one and hang onto the treefiddysebben? Edit: just read the last sentence :homer: even if you get rid of the 686, you shouldn't trade it straight across for a cheap cc pistol.

For example

Reactions: DMG
Looking at gun broker for 30 seconds, your gun is selling for about the cost of 2 shields or more :laughing:

I paid $550 for my 365xl with 3 mags and a (pos) holster.

You should be able to get a new shield for under $400. Why not just go buy one and hang onto the treefiddysebben? Edit: just read the last sentence :homer: even if you get rid of the 686, you shouldn't trade it straight across for a cheap cc pistol.

For example

Thanks for the info!

The values I looked at said $400-$1000.

The Shield I saw (used, Performance Center) was approx $460.

Ill do some more research on values.

I dont have an issue keeping it persay, but already having a .357 I like, I like the idea of trading the 686 for some more variety.

There is one in Vegas for about $650. If you’re trying to trade for a compact 9 I think you’re going to have a harder time finding a buyer than buying a compact 9. A shield is like $500 so if you want to sell that $686 for $500 let me know.

Thanks for the info!

The values I looked at said $400-$1000.

The Shield I saw (used, Performance Center) was approx $460.

Ill do some more research on values.

I dont have an issue keeping it persay, but already having a .357 I like, I like the idea of trading the 686 for some more variety.

Local places can be wierd, I get they can't compete with giant online stores, but the shield plus is $400 new almost everywhere

I'm not a gun appraiser by any stretch, but unless that thing is completely beat, it should be worth way more than $400 when a new one is almost $1k.

I've always wanted a sweet wheel gun in 357 or 44. I'd really consider trading you for the 365xl, but I kinda promised it to my wife.

Its not beat. Not sure how the ding got on the handle (noticed it after our last trip, this one was in my bag in the trunk though. The GP was in glove box)

The GP fits my hand much better, so maybe this one just needs a different grip.

Last I had checked pricing (its been a long while since I had priced out .357s) they were approx $6-700 new.

I didnt realise these had gone up so much, I figured $400...

I had gotten this on a trade deal. I bought my GP100 maybe seven or eight years ago.

20221225_123903.jpg

Keep your wheel guns they’re harder to replace . Buy a 365 or 320 and call it a day !

Got me, I dont know a lot about them specifically.

I was told it is a "J frame 686"

The 686 is an L Frame FYI. Larger than a J Frame.

If you were closer I'd put a fair amount of cash in your hand for it, as would many guys. If you list it open market, price it at $800 and don't take less than $700. Maybe a bit less if you want to make a deal for a friend.

The 686 is an L Frame FYI. Larger than a J Frame.

If you were closer I'd put a fair amount of cash in your hand for it, as would many guys. If you list it open market, price it at $800 and don't take less than $700. Maybe a bit less if you want to make a deal for a friend.
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

No problem!

I've found that Ruger VS S&W usually falls to ergonomics and hand shape/size. I have long fingers and Ruger ergos don't quite work for me, but S&W does. Stock for stock Rugers tend to have better triggers but that's easy to change on a S&W with an Apex spring kit and a little polishing. The older Smiths have way smoother triggers than the new guns though, and they only get smoother with use.

Got me, I dont know a lot about them specifically.

I was told it is a "J frame 686"

Open the cylinder. Look left side of the gun, in front of the cylinder just below the barrel. Should be stamped 686-#

Then search gun broker for a used 686-4 or whatever it is.

I forgot, it said it was a 686 "non dash" not a J frame

I forgot, it said it was a 686 "non dash" not a J frame
It’s worth at least $750 and if you get a fanboy who is in love with them you could probably sell it for $900. Even with the ding on the handle. I hear much love for the pre-lock revolvers but never seem to hear about buyers.

put that on 24hourcampfire and i bet it would go pretty quick for $750-800

Last edited:
I'll trade you for a p365 today.

Should be able to easily get 700 for it then buy your choice of smaller 9mm for ccw.
The micro 9s p365, hellcat, ect. Really are great for carry. With the money left over you could get a few spare mags, holster and ammo.

Looking at a Kimber Micro 9 literally right now.

Looks badass.

I'll trade you for a p365 today.

Should be able to easily get 700 for it then buy your choice of smaller 9mm for ccw.
The micro 9s p365, hellcat, ect. Really are great for carry. With the money left over you could get a few spare mags, holster and ammo.
I havent held the Hellcat yet.

Tried a Glock months back at the range. Didnt do anything for me.

Looking at a Kimber Micro 9 literally right now.

Looks badass.
I wouldnt be surprised if they trade you even up for that kimber. That 686 should bring $800 pretty easy. If you were local Id trade a sig365xl and a couple hundred bucks for it.

I wouldnt be surprised if they trade you even up for that kimber. That 686 should bring $800 pretty easy. If you were local Id trade a sig365xl and a couple hundred bucks for it.
It was while I was perusing Cal Ranch. I dont think they buy used.

Boris might make you a deal over at Desert Eagle in PV.
I havent been there in a while.

Same with J@G. Havent been there since before moving in 2018.

Usually I go to Insight. I like Double K in Dewey as well, nice folks.

I havent been there in a while.

Same with J@G. Havent been there since before moving in 2018.

Usually I go to Insight. I like Double K in Dewey as well, nice folks.
I went in to Bills Trading Post one time, and it was full of old Fudds just hanging out, and the owner was rude as shit to me. Never went back.

Top Back Refresh