What's new

Run it or take it back mini split?

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Picked this mini split up new in box, didn’t notice brown tape over a hole top edge of the box from I believe a careless fork lift douche nozzle. Get it home and open it up to discover the hole, great, what did it do to the unit?

After pulling the plastic sheet off I see the cooling fins smashed in this area. After looking deep in that area, I’m about 90% on taking it back for another new unit. My fear is what damage to the tube is there you can’t see? How long until a small leak shows up when it’s 120* outside? I could work on straightening the fins out with a fin comb I have but not sure I want to waste my time on something new like this.

Is it that bad or am I overly worried about it?

IMG_4442.jpeg
IMG_4443.jpeg
IMG_4444.jpeg

Looks like the major force missed the tubes.
How long will it take you to fix it?
How long will it take you to return it?
Whichever is shorter is what I’d do.

But I would lean towards return simply because why should I fix something I bought new?

Maybe they’ll offer a discount for you to keep it also. Home Depot did that for me when I found a tear in the netting of a yard sweeper I bought.

Sucks since it’s new but I wouldn’t be concerned with that damage. I work on plenty of units that have had a much worse encounter with John Deere and just keep going.

Why would you even start this thread?
Did you willingly buy "damaged goods'? Sounds like "no".
Take the shit back and get the quality you expected for your purchase.

Jesus..............
Typically no, but I was on the fence of this one. This fawking thing is very heavy and I’m much weaker than I used to be for some reason, age I guess. I bought it from Home Depot which is around 20 min from me, I did this because of fear something like this would happen from buying from an oddball website selling these things.

I took it back and had them order a new system in. Someone looking for a return that’ll more than likely be discounted will buy it I’m sure.

Move on to the next thing to do.

Typically no, but I was on the fence of this one. This fawking thing is very heavy and I’m much weaker than I used to be for some reason, age I guess. I bought it from Home Depot which is around 20 min from me, I did this because of fear something like this would happen from buying from an oddball website selling these things.

I took it back and had them order a new system in. Someone looking for a return that’ll more than likely be discounted will buy it I’m sure.

Move on to the next thing to do.
:beer:

Since you bought at HD, did you tell them they get to deliver the replacement?
Since you're a gimp, and all. :flipoff2:

being the tool whore you are trying to be. I cant believe you dont have a comb for straightening that shit out.......................:flipoff2:

Even a guy like me, who stores his wrenches like this has a comb for straightening out fins :flipoff2: Tool whore? More like a want to be wannabe Tool whore. :flipoff2:
IMG_5477.jpeg

I would not be able to sleep at night if my tools looked like that.

Seriously, that is what my nightmares looks like.

I have 2 sets of each (SAE, Metric) both kept in wrench holders

Ugg, just had a shiver down my spine even thinking about having to work like that.:shaking::shaking::shaking:

I would not be able to sleep at night if my tools looked like that.

Seriously, that is what my nightmares looks like.

I have 2 sets of each (SAE, Metric) both kept in wrench holders

Ugg, just had a shiver down my spine even thinking about having to work like that.:shaking::shaking::shaking:

lol.... mine all look like that. when im doing something, i just want to rifle through the drawer, get what i want and go fix what needs to be fixed. when im done, i will wipe the oil grease off them, dump them in the SAE or Metric designated drawer and move on with my day.

who has the time to organize all those tools like that?

lol.... mine all look like that. when im doing something, i just want to rifle through the drawer, get what i want and go fix what needs to be fixed. when im done, i will wipe the oil grease off them, dump them in the SAE or Metric designated drawer and move on with my day.

who has the time to organize all those tools like that?
These, saves time plus you can see that all the wrenches are accounted for when you put them back.

1716209067560.png

The fins don't bother me a bit, it's the potential for as hairline crack in the 4th rate Chinese 0.00007mm wall aluminum/dirt alloy tube behind it that will start pissing on 4th of July, just in the other side of the 47 day return window.

So I'd take it back

The guy that buys the open box version for $130 will probably get 7 years out of it :laughing:

Top Back Refresh