What's new

Ruger American VS Savage 110

Boons

Member Number
Looking at my next gun purchase and have it narrowed down to two rifles both in .308/7.62x51 for price and availability of ammo over 6.5 creed.
The Ruger American Hunter 20" barrel at $1100CAD
1641761982341.png

or
The Savage 110 Tactical 24" barrel at $1000 CAD
1641762036549.png

50/50 use for target/plinking at 100-500 yards and more than likely will find its way to some white tail deer at similar ranges. I'm familiar with the Ruger American line. own one and shot a few others and pretty impressed with them. I have no hands on with a Savage but I'm really interested in the 110 for the big bolt handle, longer barrel, accustock and seen some stellar reviews on the trigger and out of the box accuracy. I also hear the Savage quality and support is shit compared to Ruger. Anyone have first hand experience with either rifle?

I have the Savage 110 Tactical Hunter in 6.5. It shoots lights out. I’ve only shot 250yds and less. It will shoot as well as the shooter can. It’s heavier than I’d like, but it has almost zero recoil. I really like the adjustable stock, this way my son can shoot too.

I have the Ruger American in 6.5cm and the Ruger Hawkeye long range target in 6.5. They are both great shooters. The American feels a little loose almost sloppy but it is a serious shooter. I originally got it as the American predator and ordered the magpul stock later for the adjustibility. Ive only shot it out to 600yds but its a sub MOA gun. Ive shot the Savage and it seems to be as good a shooter as the American with a wee bit better fit and finish.

The Hawkeye is just flat out a better made rifle. It feels better, is smoother and is just so freaking accurate. Ive run it out to 1200yds and its just flawless. It out shoots my capabilities. It is more expensive though probably another $5-600 can.

In, as I’m shopping for the American ruger 308

I have an early Ruger American in 7mm-08. The stock feels cheap, and the bolt seems a little loose. The gun is very accurate. Would recommend for a budget rifle.

I also have a Savage 10PT-SR. It’s very accurate as well. I like it for hunting.

I would get the Savage for the 24” barrel.

Edit: Scotty not firsthand knowledge of these rifles.

Last edited:
I've got the Savage in 6.5 with a Vortex Viper PST on it. Probably have $1200 USD in the whole rig. The rifle is likely sub-MOA in the right hands. My experience is limited shooting past 200-300, but I was consistently hitting 6" plates at 500 last time out.

I've had both ruger americans and savages. I only have the Ruger now.

However the savage I replaced with a Tikka, the american is a different use case

Either way I found the savage to not be very smooth on the bolt and did not like the trigger. It was plenty accurate

How much is a Tikka T3 CTR in Canadia? That would be my first choice over the Ruger or Salvage. Pop a $15 spring in it and go to town.

How much is a Tikka T3 CTR in Canadia? That would be my first choice over the Ruger or Salvage. Pop a $15 spring in it and go to town.
around $1500, whats the deal with the spring? Does it take proprietary mags?

One little spring takes it from a decent trigger to amazing

Mine takes acis, but it's got a mountain tactical bottom metal. Not sure on the stock version.

Savage is always by far the most accurate while factoring in price .

Based on what?
Based on the last several decades of tack drivers out of the box . I’ve had probably a dozen or more in the last decade or so all shot sub moa. I have had two of the 110s both great rifles just got bored with long range shooting . It’s hard to stray away from savage when so many trusted brands have fell to crap . Ruger is putting out some nice stuff now though and if you want something pretty savage certainly isn’t that which is where savage gets a lot of it’s hate based on their simplicity IMO .

So no side by side comparisons using same ammo same barrel length or anything? Just an 'I said so".

No. Sorry Stuck im just going off my experience. I’m not sure if you were expecting a full blown guns and ammo article or what but you can’t go wrong with either I’d imagine. I’d go with 6.5 if I were the OP I got bored with .308 pretty quickly .

6.5 isn’t on the shelves and it’s twice the money of 308 if it is. I just bought 500 rounds for .80 a round. I’m not an ammo snob and reloading doesn’t interest me. For shooting tannerite, yotes, whitetail and maybe the spawn of Fidel Castro I think 308 will keep me plenty entertained with money still in my pocket. I’m still on the fence, may look into a used Tikka but I’d rather put that extra money towards glass which I was thinking a Vortex Venom

6.5 isn’t on the shelves and it’s twice the money of 308 if it is. I just bought 500 rounds for .80 a round. I’m not an ammo snob and reloading doesn’t interest me. For shooting tannerite, yotes, whitetail and maybe the spawn of Fidel Castro I think 308 will keep me plenty entertained with money still in my pocket. I’m still on the fence, may look into a used Tikka but I’d rather put that extra money towards glass which I was thinking a Vortex Venom
Youre going to put a red dot on it?

Yes in the factory stock it takes Tikka mags, in the KRG Bravo chassis I have it takes AICS. And yeah the trigger spring makes it feel like a Timney or Triggertech.

Wound up with a Savage in .308 with a 20” barrel. Did a quick camo job, tossed on a vortex diamondback and M4-72 muzzle brake. Will probably put some rounds through it tomorrow weather pending. First impressions are the bolt feels like shit and can easily bind on the back of the receiver, hoping this is just a break in thing.
AE420A05-B6CB-4C87-B478-5E1B8E201707.jpeg

Wound up with a Savage in .308 with a 20” barrel. Did a quick camo job, tossed on a vortex diamondback and M4-72 muzzle brake. Will probably put some rounds through it tomorrow weather pending. First impressions are the bolt feels like shit and can easily bind on the back of the receiver, hoping this is just a break in thing.
AE420A05-B6CB-4C87-B478-5E1B8E201707.jpeg
Nice gun, and I like the cup.

Mine was rough at first. It gets better.

Nice camo job. Sponge?

Yes, first go at it and I'm happy with it. Was surprised on the quality of the stock, especially the aluminum bedding.
I’m going to do mine when it warms up.
I can’t put my finger on it, but there is just something about the way it fits/feels that I really like.

Finally got it out and put 55 rounds down range after forgoing the Vortex and mounting on a Primary Arms 3-18x50 with their ACSS 308 specific reticle. Took 5 rounds to zero it at 100 yards. Then played with the some M80 and finished off by grouping 5 rounds of 150g Sako Hammerhead and 5 rounds of Federal 110g Hornady Vmax. Going to stretch out to 500 yards tomorrow and play with reticle and see if the sub-tensions match up.
1B06F2DD-F456-4AAB-8D12-CEDDB5FA1420.jpeg
5AF2B377-9192-4CAD-B474-2786A1AC87D6.jpeg
99FA691B-207E-4AD1-9B48-E2EE56078A32.jpeg
95E6DDDE-9D72-41A4-8FBC-5E4EDD4A1A8E.jpeg
8A99A8AF-B3E8-4C8D-A017-B1D0D3494459.jpeg

Top Back Refresh