What's new

Rudy

CMT2.0

Member Number
Well this is my first build thread. More making it for me so I remember everything I've done and how I did it.

Story of Rudy, 1994 Toyota pickup 2wd 22re with AC. Got it for a commuter car while I built my first crawler ended up rolling it on some local trails. Pushed the cab out and kept driving it. After awhile put it back to stock and sold it to a buddy. Just month or so I got him back to start my new build. My old setup was beat and the the turbo motor died..

The build plan, w56, 23 spline single case with 4.7 and twin sticks, 63s out back, 3 link front with fox air shocks, 35/37'' tires, 5:29s, spools, hydro assist, and stay around 3000-3500 pounds...

Started with a fabtech lift, 31, and 4.10/locker

Old setup, died shortly after this flop. Spun a rod bearing
image_55417.jpg

photo55408.jpg

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

Last edited:
Now starts the rebuild of all my old drivetrain components. I had a r150 with a r151 bell housing but sold it thinking I would just buy a built crawler but that didnt happen. Rebuilding a w56. New bearings, synchro's, reverse gear, and a 21 spline to 23 coupler...

photo55401.jpg

IMG_20210330_220619_812.jpg

IMG_20210330_220619_827.jpg

IMG_20210330_220619_851.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for marlin to ship the parts I need to rebuild my front axle and transfer case. Got bored and fitted an old headache rack.
Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_PXL_20210125_212142606.jpg Views:	0 Size:	376.3 KB ID:	365488

Good luck on the marlin order. I ordered a solid pinion spacer from marlin on 1/7/21.

​​​i still haven't received it, and I'm only like 4 hrs from them

The Marlin waiting period seems crazy. I'm new to the Toyota world and I've read enough in the last few months that it seems like a nightmare for everybody. There isn't a single mentioning out there where someone got parts from them within a reasonable amount of time. It took Summit Racing 3 days +2 due to Fedex for me. Anyhow, looks like an interesting build. Good luck.

The Marlin waiting period seems crazy. I'm new to the Toyota world and I've read enough in the last few months that it seems like a nightmare for everybody. There isn't a single mentioning out there where someone got parts from them within a reasonable amount of time. It took Summit Racing 3 days +2 due to Fedex for me. Anyhow, looks like an interesting build. Good luck.

I haven't had any issues with Marlin's ship times in over a year. I've made 5 or so orders in the past year and all were at my door within 7 days. A few years ago I considered myself lucky if an order arrived in two weeks.

Got part of my order yesterday. Hopefully get them setup this weekend. Did take 2-3weeks to ship

photo56510.jpg

What, no mention of the Laredo?? :flipoff2:

Whenever you get to the hydro assist stage let me know what size ram you're looking at, I have a spare TG ram that's just been sitting under my trucks back seat

I haven't had any issues with Marlin's ship times in over a year. I've made 5 or so orders in the past year and all were at my door within 7 days. A few years ago I considered myself lucky if an order arrived in two weeks.

Marlin creating a UPS label when they process your order is bullshit. I get a shipping notification, then a week later saying a part is on back order. How about creating the label when the shit is ready to ship out?

Got the high pinion third built with 5:29, spool, and a fancy triple drilled yoke. Slammed it in the TG ifs width housing with some RCVs. I just tore my transfer case apart to reseal it and swap the out put shaft..Are my pictures work? I'm new to all this so let me know.

Screenshot_20210418-195604.png

Screenshot_20210418-194504.png

PXL_20210419_030132929.jpg

Is your 21-23 spline coupler from Davez? How was the install? Press fit, or slip fit?

Yep, slip fit. Wish it was press. Kinda sloppy
Thanks. I've been debating on that piece, but I think I'll just stick with 21 spline. I also have the fear that now the t-case input is stronger than the trans output, so if something breaks it will be inside the trans instead of the t-case. Who knows though.

Thanks. I've been debating on that piece, but I think I'll just stick with 21 spline. I also have the fear that now the t-case input is stronger than the trans output, so if something breaks it will be inside the trans instead of the t-case. Who knows though.
Yeah I'm afraid of that too. Working with the parts I have. Would like to run an automatic but can't seem to find one that will bolt up and not be a turd.

Yeah I'm afraid of that too. Working with the parts I have. Would like to run an automatic but can't seem to find one that will bolt up and not be a turd.
You could get a "V6 adapter" or whatever it's called from Advance or TG and run that case behind an A340 which is pretty decent.

You could get a "V6 adapter" or whatever it's called from Advance or TG and run that case behind an A340 which is pretty decent.
What a340? Might have to do a little more research on that

Pulled a few late nighters after work and got the transfercase resealed, and swapped the out put shaft. Pretty pumped to have this all bolted together. The old output was one that got swapped in at KOH years ago. Hopefully this weekend I can finish the front axle and get Rudy in the shop and on jack stands.
PXL_20210421_045121592.jpg
PXL_20210422_043758516.jpg
PXL_20210422_054633711.jpg

Last edited:
Front axle is 80% done. Still needs the steering finish, locking hubs installed, and steering stops.

Here's the build on it...

HP third/5:29/Spool
Rcv shafts
TG ifs housing/stud eliminator kit
Trunnion eliminators
High steer/ARP studs/3/4 hiems
V6 calipers/ fj rotors
Chromoly hub gears/ARP stubs
PXL_20210428_010833745.jpg

Last edited:
Got a day of work in. Finished the front axle and put the truck on stands. Next drop out the 2wd stuff and get the 4x4 trans in so I can start the rear. I'm sure it will take me a few weeks to cut everything off.
PXL_20210508_231113084.jpg
PXL_20210508_233217094.jpg

This build is awesome to see. My first vehicle was a 2wd white standard cab toyota. 16 years later and I'll be bringing it back home in the coming weeks. I had thought a bunch on reworking it just like your doing here. Thanks for posting updates! I'll be following along:beer::beer:

What a340? Might have to do a little more research on that

Rig is looking good!

So I would honestly call Trail Gear, Marlin, and Advance Adapters to ask about trans compatibility. All 3 make gear drive case adapters for 2rz/3rz/5vz trucks but some places only say R151 manual compatibility, and some also say A340F auto compatibility. Marlin also makes one for an A340H with the goofy hydraulic case from 3vz trucks.

Of course, lead times these days range from "not available" to "who the fawk knows" to "yeah that's the last one on the shelf" so that's another reason to call and check. Maybe Marlin was ahead of the game years ago by already being delayed on everything? 😂

Rig is looking good!

So I would honestly call Trail Gear, Marlin, and Advance Adapters to ask about trans compatibility. All 3 make gear drive case adapters for 2rz/3rz/5vz trucks but some places only say R151 manual compatibility, and some also say A340F auto compatibility. Marlin also makes one for an A340H with the goofy hydraulic case from 3vz trucks.

Of course, lead times these days range from "not available" to "who the fawk knows" to "yeah that's the last one on the shelf" so that's another reason to call and check. Maybe Marlin was ahead of the game years ago by already being delayed on everything? 😂
Yeah that's what I was seeing. I'll just keep it basic with the manual

Man the early to mid 2000s were even worse when you had to call them and sit on hold all day. The parts were kind of in stock, but you were sitting on hold for days on end to talk to someone! I used to call inchworm to order marlin parts because they could get them and someone always picked up the phone!

I about lost it on them in 2010 when I paid for overnight shipping on a dual row bearing to IL So I could go on a wheeling trip and they just flat forgot to send it. Hey I got a free t shirt out of it and they reimbursed my shipping fees.

Back on topic, cool build!!

Man the early to mid 2000s were even worse when you had to call them and sit on hold all day. The parts were kind of in stock, but you were sitting on hold for days on end to talk to someone! I used to call inchworm to order marlin parts because they could get them and someone always picked up the phone!

I about lost it on them in 2010 when I paid for overnight shipping on a dual row bearing to IL So I could go on a wheeling trip and they just flat forgot to send it. Hey I got a free t shirt out of it and they reimbursed my shipping fees.

Back on topic, cool build!!
Oh man a free shirt! Lol.

Got the suspension off and transmission out. Time to start cutting. Is the plate on the back of the motor different from 2wd to 4x4?
IMG_20210515_173835_544.jpg

Plate on the back of the motor is the same. I’ve been in the fuck Marlin crowd since 2006. They flat out lied to me over a $3500 order and made me wait a month for my shit. Fuck that wrinkly old cock sucker and his kid. A simple V6 adapter from Trail Gear will get you a gear drive case behind an A340F auto. That’s the route I’m going.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh