What's new

Rock Lizard/Weekend Ultra4(?); blown LS, 40s, tons, bypasses, etc.

That's what shock tuners told me too.
So I went lighter and the thing felt loose as a mofo and was slapping the bumps hard.
When I had a firmer tune, it "felt better" inside.
Maybe snivilous is in the same boat?

if he has 20s stacked that much id be considering other options.

this is my first concern in the front. i want to know where the piston is in relation to this tube transition. he also needs shims on the coilover.

1714406924347.png

this is my first concern in the front. i want to know where the piston is in relation to this tube transition. he also needs shims on the coilover.

1714406924347.png
I guess I didn't write down the shaft length last time I have them apart, but I think the piston is ~2" below that transition point.

What's the concern with the stacking of the 20s?

I also don't follow your "valving is too firm and your tubes are too open", do you mean I should be looking at closing the bottom tube instead of valving it stiffer?

And if it wasn't obvious, they're all 2.5" shocks

Fair.
Removing the shims in the coilovers is when I lost all low speed and it started feeling like shit.

Haven't done much with the buggy this month. I pulled the body panels and sprayed it off and looked it over and fixed the front brake line, that was about it. Poor thing got wickedly rusty from being towed through endless rain and snow going to Vernal. It's almost tempted me to finally paint it.

1716996371045.png

I had some friends from up north go to Sand Hollow a couple weeks ago. They just had some Toyotas, but I hadn't taken the buggy out since the race so decided to bring it out for a chill day and get some miles on it.

1716996471254.png

No one wanted to wheel until the night, so I ended up taking a couple people for a sprint around Sand Hollow. Nothing exciting but I think I got 50 miles or so on it. The only thing that was weird was one or two points the engine got a slight hiccup like it lost fuel pressure. But I had a full tank, and it was so fast I didn't have time to see fuel pressure drop. One person thought maybe it was a vapor lock issue, which is possible but seems unlikely since it wasn't that hot and last year I had it out in a lot hotter weather (albeit not with the big engine).

I need to swap the filler neck, so I'll pull the hydramat and pickup and see if something has disintegrated or is leaking. But otherwise it was fine!

1716997093171.png

Otherwise we just ended up doing Double Sammy and playing around on some of the offshoots while the Toyota guys slowly made it through.

1716997164582.png

1716997213352.png

1716997231704.png

And that wraps up anything I've done with the buggy!

Today I registered for the next Bonneville Offroad race which is in Grand Junction in a couple weeks. I have a list of higher priority things to do, and then some things to do if I'm not overly lazy. I wouldn't have any issue using it as is right now, the buggy seems happy and working great.

I did just order a 2-turn orbital from Howe to replace my 3-turn. They also recommended increasing my caster to like 7deg which I'm at 4deg right now I think. Otherwise they said there's not much I can do to improve the steering feel. I also bought another Superduty Master cylinder after messing with my other one and figuring out how it worked until it was destroyed, now I know how to get it to plug and play with the iBooster so want to get that installed too. If I can make the braking more firm and the steering faster I think that will help a lot. I have some other minor things I need to do, the spare tire carrier needs to get reinforced since it's starting to crack, I need to unbend the hilift since apparently it ran into a rock and got bent, maybe fix the boost bypass valve, etc.

The Grand Junction race is another ~160 mile desert race. From what I've seen there's no whoops, it's mainly just two track and dirt trails, actually closer to a rally stage probably. Should be a fun and chill race, see if I can make a few tweaks so I'm not the absolute slowest vehicle out there hahaha

Haven't done much with the buggy this month. I pulled the body panels and sprayed it off and looked it over and fixed the front brake line, that was about it. Poor thing got wickedly rusty from being towed through endless rain and snow going to Vernal. It's almost tempted me to finally paint it.

1716996371045.png

I had some friends from up north go to Sand Hollow a couple weeks ago. They just had some Toyotas, but I hadn't taken the buggy out since the race so decided to bring it out for a chill day and get some miles on it.

1716996471254.png

No one wanted to wheel until the night, so I ended up taking a couple people for a sprint around Sand Hollow. Nothing exciting but I think I got 50 miles or so on it. The only thing that was weird was one or two points the engine got a slight hiccup like it lost fuel pressure. But I had a full tank, and it was so fast I didn't have time to see fuel pressure drop. One person thought maybe it was a vapor lock issue, which is possible but seems unlikely since it wasn't that hot and last year I had it out in a lot hotter weather (albeit not with the big engine).

I need to swap the filler neck, so I'll pull the hydramat and pickup and see if something has disintegrated or is leaking. But otherwise it was fine!

1716997093171.png

Otherwise we just ended up doing Double Sammy and playing around on some of the offshoots while the Toyota guys slowly made it through.

1716997164582.png

1716997213352.png

1716997231704.png

And that wraps up anything I've done with the buggy!

Today I registered for the next Bonneville Offroad race which is in Grand Junction in a couple weeks. I have a list of higher priority things to do, and then some things to do if I'm not overly lazy. I wouldn't have any issue using it as is right now, the buggy seems happy and working great.

I did just order a 2-turn orbital from Howe to replace my 3-turn. They also recommended increasing my caster to like 7deg which I'm at 4deg right now I think. Otherwise they said there's not much I can do to improve the steering feel. I also bought another Superduty Master cylinder after messing with my other one and figuring out how it worked until it was destroyed, now I know how to get it to plug and play with the iBooster so want to get that installed too. If I can make the braking more firm and the steering faster I think that will help a lot. I have some other minor things I need to do, the spare tire carrier needs to get reinforced since it's starting to crack, I need to unbend the hilift since apparently it ran into a rock and got bent, maybe fix the boost bypass valve, etc.

The Grand Junction race is another ~160 mile desert race. From what I've seen there's no whoops, it's mainly just two track and dirt trails, actually closer to a rally stage probably. Should be a fun and chill race, see if I can make a few tweaks so I'm not the absolute slowest vehicle out there hahaha

Show/explain how to fit the SuperDuty master cylinder with the iBosster when you have a chance.
Thanks

Do you need any pit support? I can bring everything to pit for a 4400 car.
I don't think so, it's about the most low budget operation known to mankind. If there's anything seriously screwed up then we'll just call it. With that said, if you feel like driving the 4 hours from Longmont you are more than welcome to come hang out and I'll accept any help and tools :grinpimp: but don't have the mindset this is some big operation, it's purely for fun and the only reason it's a 4400 is because I like big tires and cool shocks. I'd hate for anyone to come out and the thing breaks a mile in, since I've been on that side of lots of effort and going across the country and it sucks absolute ass.

When I was at sand hollow a couple weeks ago, while I was loading up this other guy pulled onto his trailer too and is like "I thought I heard a 4400 out there", I thought it was hilarious since the only thing that would make someone think that was the DUCT TAPED "4401" on the sides :lmao: I just like to see how I can stack up and push the buggy, but let's be real, it barely qualifies as a racecar and any racing is purely for fun. There's a race in Wendover in July, and hell I might not even go to that because it sounds hot as fuck hahaha. I'm the guy the big names shit on because I show up to participate :flipoff2:

I don't think so, it's about the most low budget operation known to mankind. If there's anything seriously screwed up then we'll just call it. With that said, if you feel like driving the 4 hours from Longmont you are more than welcome to come hang out and I'll accept any help and tools :grinpimp: but don't have the mindset this is some big operation, it's purely for fun and the only reason it's a 4400 is because I like big tires and cool shocks. I'd hate for anyone to come out and the thing breaks a mile in, since I've been on that side of lots of effort and going across the country and it sucks absolute ass.

When I was at sand hollow a couple weeks ago, while I was loading up this other guy pulled onto his trailer too and is like "I thought I heard a 4400 out there", I thought it was hilarious since the only thing that would make someone think that was the DUCT TAPED "4401" on the sides :lmao: I just like to see how I can stack up and push the buggy, but let's be real, it barely qualifies as a racecar and any racing is purely for fun. There's a race in Wendover in July, and hell I might not even go to that because it sounds hot as fuck hahaha. I'm the guy the big names shit on because I show up to participate :flipoff2:
So you are saying you are a “hobby racer” :lmao:

Top Back Refresh