What's new

Reloading

Pistol cases are straight wall. They can be done very safely and quickly on a progressive press. There is very little resizing in the process. The cases generally dont need to be trimmed. The first stage decaps and sizes. The second primes and drops powder. The last sets the bullet and crimps.
Except for a 45acp where both small and large primers are used. It is way too easy for small primers to sneak thru. ~60 primers blowing up in a tube about 2 feet from one's head absolutely sucks:homer:

I place mine by hand and look into the case when I do it to make sure there is a charge inside. Its pretty hard to double charge a case because it will usually spill over or at least fill the case to the top but short charges or empty cases are just as bad. If youre runniing a fast string and get a squib you can stick a bullet in the barrel and that is no bueno.
Isn't this more of a result of powder choice? I usually pick my powders based upon the ability to overfill on a second ;)

Except for a 45acp where both small and large primers are used. It is way too easy for small primers to sneak thru. ~60 primers blowing up in a tube about 2 feet from one's head absolutely sucks:homer:

Isn't this more of a result of powder choice? I usually pick my powders based upon the ability to overfill on a second ;)

What powder can you double charge a pistol case with and not see it right off the bat? An overcharge is one thing, but usually on a progressive press the problem is squibs not over or double charges.

Thats why I double check all my brass before loading the press. I dont keep brass I dont load for. It goes in the recycling bucket.

It depends on the caliber. .380 is .3 grains from Min to Max on W231.

Anyone who sees small rifle or small pistol primers out there, grab them, I'll take them.

i been looking for spp for a while.
nonexistent, will be for the long run.
bullet manufacturers get first dibs before they go o wholesale. my lgs has had them on order for me for 4 months.
i have large and 209 in stock.

scored 800 small pistol primers and 500 large pistol primers.
stopped at garge sale today, saw they had a old mec 12 gage loader as i drove by so stopped in.
loader was already sold, guy who just got there before me. asked if he had anything else. set of 38 dies and primers in a steel ammo box. they are dated 2018.
says always kept in ammo box in dry area.
got dies and primers for 25.00.

scored 800 small pistol primers and 500 large pistol primers.
stopped at garge sale today, saw they had a old mec 12 gage loader as i drove by so stopped in.
loader was already sold, guy who just got there before me. asked if he had anything else. set of 38 dies and primers in a steel ammo box. they are dated 2018.
says always kept in ammo box in dry area.
got dies and primers for 25.00.

Awesome score!

Went to the local archery place today to get some arrows cut. The had large rifle primers in stock. Bought five packages of 100 for $4 each. Meh, not sure if that's good or not. For $20, what the hell.

Thats not a bad price at all. You should have bought all they had.

Top Back Refresh