What's new

Reloading

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
I've been going back and forth on getting into reloading for about a year now. At first I thought it was just a simple remove primer, pop in new primer, fill with power, pop on new bullet while I have a beer. But obviously its a lot more involved than that.

Looked at the Dillons. The 650 and the 750. Went back and forth on it. Iunno. Not looking to start my own factory.

This past year I've invested a quite a bit into hunting. Would be nice to have something I could reload 30-30 with. I've got, oh, about 2000 brass from the 30-30 alone. I've got buckets and buckets of 9mm and 223. Just sitting there. Was thinking start off with the 30-30 and go from there.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Sup...s%2C150&sr=8-1
911eEd6uS0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If I got that, a digital scale, a tumbler, and the powder/primers/bullets that should cover the basics right? After all set and done this is looking like an ~$600 starting point.

Perhaps a Lee setup would be better? If I could pop out a few dozen rounds in a night that'd be neat. Right now I just crank a few hours of Call of Duty. I think tinkering at a bench would be a more productive way to spend my time.

Can't help much. Been looking at doing this for a couple of years myself. I think want a progressive press though.

I do shotgun shells. That is stupid easy and fast. Little harder to get excited about smaller rounds.

If you want precision then single stage is what you want. But for 223 and 9mm, its less important so you want progressive for the speed and convenience. You can run a progressive as a single stage, but not a single as progressive. Something to think about.

Even for 30-30 I think progressive would be fine.

Good luck getting started with 9mm, there are very few small pistol primers (or any pistol primers really) available.

I run all Hornady stuff. MAny of my reloading friends run and love Dillon. Some Mark7s and some that run both red and blue (Hornady and Dillon).

They all work, it just depends on what you long term goals are. Do you plan on automating in the future? Do you want tool head type change overs (all dies and powder ameasures come out as a unit) or bushing change over (each die and powder measure can be individually changed or removed with a quick twist to complete specific tasks if wanted) or threading everything each change which means more adjustments?

I'm just looking to start off with basic 30 30 rounds. Just really for hunting. We'll see what comes of it later on.

But looks like for not much more, I can do a Dillon. Lookingat like $1000 to get started it seems.

No. You dont need a $1k to get started for 30-30. You dont need a digital scale. The beam scale works just as easy. For a begin er that doesnt know if its worth it go to LEE. For shouldered cases buy either a single stage or turret press kit and the die set you need. Turret press is nice because you run it lime a single stage but you set all of your dies in the disk (turret) and move it to the die you need. Then when you change caliber you swap out the disk for another one with the new dies already set.

LEE classic turret press kit is $300. Die set is $40ish. Box of 100 150g .308 bullets is $35ish, 1000 cci200 large rifle primers is $40, 1# of imr4895 is $30. $450 and you have the basics to start reloading. Additionly youll need a set of calipers and a deburring tool. Maybe a gauge. Eventually youll want an annealing setup, and a primer pocket tool, but you have enough brass not worry about that for a while.

I use LEE pro1000 progressive presses for my pistol cartridges. I have a seperate one for 9mm, .40, and .45. Everything is automatic except for placing the bullet. I do that by hand because I look into each case for short powder loads. There are auto placers but I think that leads to sloppiness.

For rifle I have two Hornady and an RCBS on the bench and a couple others sitting in the corner. Im only loading 6.5cm right now and have three singles running. 1 for decapping and neck sizing, 1 for setting the bullet, and one to crimp and I hand prime all shouldered cases. There a primer ram on the presses but I think the hand primer is better. I use three presses so I dont have to change out dies between functions. Thats my way not saying its the best or even right just the steps I use. It works for me. My handloads in my rifle give consistant .75" 5 shot groups at 200yds.

Before anything buy one of the big reloading books and read read read.

Chronos are nice but not needed for your basic 30-30 hunting load. Just ladder load test for group size consistancy at a 100yds. Once you get into precision youll need to know your speeds.

No. You dont need a $1k to get started for 30-30. You dont need a digital scale. The beam scale works just as easy. For a begin er that doesnt know if its worth it go to LEE. For shouldered cases buy either a single stage or turret press kit and the die set you need. Turret press is nice because you run it lime a single stage but you set all of your dies in the disk (turret) and move it to the die you need. Then when you change caliber you swap out the disk for another one with the new dies already set.

LEE classic turret press kit is $300. Die set is $40ish. Box of 100 150g .308 bullets is $35ish, 1000 cci200 large rifle primers is $40, 1# of imr4895 is $30. $450 and you have the basics to start reloading. Additionly youll need a set of calipers and a deburring tool. Maybe a gauge. Eventually youll want an annealing setup, and a primer pocket tool, but you have enough brass not worry about that for a while.

I use LEE pro1000 progressive presses for my pistol cartridges. I have a seperate one for 9mm, .40, and .45. Everything is automatic except for placing the bullet. I do that by hand because I look into each case for short powder loads. There are auto placers but I think that leads to sloppiness.

For rifle I have two Hornady and an RCBS on the bench and a couple others sitting in the corner. Im only loading 6.5cm right now and have three singles running. 1 for decapping and neck sizing, 1 for setting the bullet, and one to crimp and I hand prime all shouldered cases. There a primer ram on the presses but I think the hand primer is better. I use three presses so I dont have to change out dies between functions. Thats my way not saying its the best or even right just the steps I use. It works for me. My handloads in my rifle give consistant .75" 5 shot groups at 200yds.

Before anything buy one of the big reloading books and read read read.

Chronos are nice but not needed for your basic 30-30 hunting load. Just ladder load test for group size consistancy at a 100yds. Once you get into precision youll need to know your speeds.

Good stuff. That Lee kit seems to be out of stock.

This is probably a piss poor time to even look into this, huh?

First, reloading is not cheaper than buying factory rounds. So many people have gotten in to it over the last 4 years that supplies are becoming short and more expensive. The Dillon 750 is the new 650. They dont' make the 650 anymore. Parts are interchangeable, but you'll be buying a brand new old model if you get a 650 from a dealer. If you're looking to load a few rounds a night (read 100 or less), then a single stage press will be fine. It'll give you a more intimate knowledge of why things go together like they do. There is also less error associated because each step is separate. On a progressive, it's easy to run out of primers or let your powder get low if you don't pay attention. 30-30 will be fine on a single stage press. But for bulk loads (9mm and .223) a progressive is the way to go. Once it's set up you just run it. I float in and out of here almost daily. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a message. This is a good starter for about the same money and you get the digital scale. Hornady also offers a bullet rebate with their purchase.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012998011

First, reloading is not cheaper than buying factory rounds. So many people have gotten in to it over the last 4 years that supplies are becoming short and more expensive.

Is that really that case? Damn.

Just sucks because I must have four five gallon buckets of brass of like ten calibers. When my buddies and I used to shoot, I'd walk around the sandpit collecting all the brass. Its been sitting around for years and years now.

I just sighted in my Model 94 Winchester with Iron sights, but a buddy suggested a peep sight. So I ordered one. Going to sight that in when it gets here. Was thinking it'd be nice to have something to reload the 30-30 rounds I have. I've only got two or three boxes of it. But I have probably a 1000 brass at least. Just feels like such a waste with all the brass I have. Figured if I could get into for like $500, I'd use the brass, learn a skill, and gives me something to do other than video games after kiddo goes to bed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Challen...EAAOSw6hpfJZan

Is that anything to consider? Unsure what the "breech lock" means.

But yea, I'm not looking to bang out a thousand rounds a night. If I manged like 50 rounds of the 30-30 I'd be satisfied.

The main reason reloading is not cheaper is you will find yourself shooting more than before. The Lee press is a good start. Breech lock means it uses bushings to change the dies. You put the bushing in the press and lock it in, set up your die and lock it down. When you need to remove the die, you turn the bushing to unlock it and take it out. I find reloading rather relaxing.

Good stuff. That Lee kit seems to be out of stock.

This is probably a piss poor time to even look into this, huh?

Now is definitely a bad time to get into reloading. Primers are supposed to be extremely difficult to find. Haven't checked on reloading components in a while myself.

I really only reload for my large rifle calibers. Just haven't bothered for pistol or 556. If you are going for precision or ultimate accuracy then you can fine tune your loads to get the most out of a rifle, or pistol. In the case of your 30-30 it's probably not going to net you that much, but it will allow you to pick the exact bullet type and weight you want.

For my .270 I like 140 gr nosler ballistic tips at 2800 fps. I can't buy readily buy that combination off the shelf, so I load my own.

Case prep makes the most difference in super high accuracy for just making hunting loads I just do a full length resize and remove the primer. If there is any bur or issue with the brass I toss it.

Once you get into the swing of things you should be able to knock out 100 rounds in a few hours on a single stage press.

Start off with a single stage. you can load rifle, or pistol on a single stage. The progressive presses take a fair amount of setup and some tweaking to get running for each different caliber. Once they are running you can then crank out the rounds in less time.

Keep your eye out for someone's used setup, should save a bunch. My setup is a 40 + year old RCBS and still works great. You can always start off pretty basic and then add more better fancier components as you go.
The setup you posted is a good basic start.

And because I must. "What reloading setup does your dad see you in?"

For 9mm 223 and 30-30 any press will work. 30-30 ballistics fall off pretty quick so there is only so much accuracy you can get out of it. We worked out some killer varmint grenade loads in 223 for poppin ground squirrels on a turret press. Buddy and I went in on a lee turret press and each bought dies for different cals. We bought the turret press as a kit and came with a lot of small tools, powder pan, etc but ended up not liking the stuff that came with it. It seems cheaper to buy the kit, but the kit comes with all cheap funky tools.. you want precision, not cheap...

been loading on lee pro 1000, and load master.
never had a real problem with them, i only do pistol loads 45acp, 9mm and 38 special.
it suits my needs.
once you get them set up they go.

One thing from my post I forgot to mention. I said Im set up to neeck size for shouldered brass. Thats because Im reloading brass shot out of my rifle so its fireformed to my rifles chamber. If youre reloading brass from so.eone else always do a full case resize. Some people choose to full resize everything and thats ok. Its kind of a split on which is better. But ALWAYS full resize for strange brass.

Second handloading is much cheaper than factory loads. I can load 100 9mm for under $10. Thats a $100 per thousand. For my 6.5cm load its half of what a comparable Hornady 20 count box is. Im using Hornady 140g BTHP .264s with fed 210 prrimers with 39.1g of imr4350 or cci200 primers w/38g of imr4350. I have another load with H4350 but thats hard to find right now. You can find cheap factory loads but it doesnt give nearly the accuracy and they tend to get real sloppy past 600yds.

You can find supplies right now but you may have to hit a couple shops. Ive had no problem mail ordering anything BUT with powder and primers theres a $28-30 hazmat fee on top of shioping. If youre order 10,000 primers and 10lbs or more powder its not a big deal but for smaller amounts it adds up.

Midway and midsouth shooter supply have pretty decent prices on supplies. I just ordered more .265 bullets for the 6.5 and .308 bullets for my .300sav from midsouth.

One thing from my post I forgot to mention. I said Im set up to neeck size for shouldered brass. Thats because Im reloading brass shot out of my rifle so its fireformed to my rifles chamber. If youre reloading brass from so.eone else always do a full case resize. Some people choose to full resize everything and thats ok. Its kind of a split on which is better. But ALWAYS full resize for strange brass.

Second handloading is much cheaper than factory loads. I can load 100 9mm for under $10. Thats a $100 per thousand. For my 6.5cm load its half of what a comparable Hornady 20 count box is. Im using Hornady 140g BTHP .264s with fed 210 prrimers with 39.1g of imr4350 or cci200 primers w/38g of imr4350. I have another load with H4350 but thats hard to find right now. You can find cheap factory loads but it doesnt give nearly the accuracy and they tend to get real sloppy past 600yds.

You can find supplies right now but you may have to hit a couple shops. Ive had no problem mail ordering anything BUT with powder and primers theres a $28-30 hazmat fee on top of shioping. If youre order 10,000 primers and 10lbs or more powder its not a big deal but for smaller amounts it adds up.

Midway and midsouth shooter supply have pretty decent prices on supplies. I just ordered more .265 bullets for the 6.5 and .308 bullets for my .300sav from midsouth.

I'd probably be better waiting a little bit then, huh? Until after the election and things calm down a bit?

Man, I'm looking at 30-30 rounds right now, and its ~$1.50 a round.

I think cost savings is based upon what you are shooting vs how much you pay for components. Also, if you are ordering online, you bulk buy everything... you don't buy 1k primers... you buy 10k or more.

I think 9mm and 223 were 'loosing' propositions in terms of cost savings... I haven't looked recently.

I started with a Lee single stage for low volume shooting. I started with the simple 45acp except for small/large primer issue:homer: I could keep up with my training/practice. I would sit in front of the TV and hand prime the rounds. I also used the beam scale with no issues. I have thought about getting a different powder drop because the Lee one does "leak".

I finally upgraded to a Dillon 1050 progressive for my 45acp. It is similar to 650 and 750 except you don't have to push forward to prime a case... the 1050 is all pull downward. The push forward for primer is why I used a hand primer with the Lee press above. I haven't used it in a bit but I want to say I was doing 100 rounds in 10 minutes with a 'safe' speed. I've heard some people getting close to 1k an hour.

I dedicated the Lee toward rifle rounds that can be more picky on steps, powder, crimp.

When I started reloading with a Dillon 550 it was roughly 1/3rd the cost to make 45ACP rounds. Not including the tool up costs. And powder and primer have gone up since.

You can make better ammo tuned to your gun. It costs time.

I look at it like home brewing. You get what you want but part of the hobby must be doing the process to do that rather than getting a six pack at the store.

Yea, I've got the time at night after kiddo goes to bed. My basement has an awesome work bench area the PO put together. I've made it into an area where I built my AR. Works great. I figure instead of draining brain cells playing COD for a couple hours before bed, I could spend some time clinking away in the basement.

I'm really not dead set on making crazy accurate rounds for 1000yd shots or anything. Just something to use up the brass I've been collecting for like ten years. Looks like for ~$500 I can get my hands a little dirty. See what comes of it. Maybe build a PC from spare parts to bring down there so I can look things up.

Small pistol and rifle primers and bullets are exceedingly "difficult" to get right now. I can still get some powder but not the popular stuff like Unique and Bullseye (my go-to handgun powders). Before this most recent "panic" I was hard pressed (pressed, get it...) to reload 9mm and x39, 556 and .45acp cheaper than I could buy it. That has gone out the window, and regardless of pricing, I can still reload everything thing I need for the foreseeable future (I stockpiled quite a bit of supplies).

A beam scale will serve you fine as well as a Frankford Arsenal tumbler (i.e., you can cheap out on some stuff, no worries). You might want to look into a case length trimmer if you're reloading rifle (a hand crank Lyman is what I use). A decent caliper is required to measure OAL, too. A long time ago I used a single stage press and then a turret press and it took hours to reload 100 rnds. Now I use a RCBS Pro 2000 and can knock out 500 rnds in an evening with very little set up time, good for 9mm and 556 and x39 and .45acp, blah blah. Last time I counted I have seven calibers I reload and only one could be considered precision (.308 Win). For the few issues I've had with that press, one call to RCBS and they have ALWAYS shipped out any replacement part completely FREE (excellent customer service).

As far as neck sizing versus full length sizing I would add that if you're rocking an AR or other semi-auto rifle you should ALWAYS full length resize. For bolt/lever action then neck/shoulder sizing is the way. Almost all of my dies are LEE, high quality and, usually, the least expensive.

Woods where are you located? I have been able to find powder and primer locally but like I said I have to check around. I have a list of my locals that carry reloading stuff and when I need it I start calling. Usually when I find what Im looking for they will have other stuff as well so I buy ahead.

Theres no reason not to start now. Look around youll find the tools and supplies. Check Amazon they have all different kinds of presses, LEE, Hornady, rcbs in stock.

I did forget to mention the tumbler. I use an rcbs vibratory tumbler with walnut and nufinish. I thought about upgrading to a wet rotary with stainless media but mine works just fine.

Last edited:
Woods where are you located? I have been able to find powder and primer locally but like I said I have to check around. I have a list of my locals that carry reloading stuff and when I need it I start calling. Usually when I find what Im looking for they will have other stuff as well so I buy ahead.

Theres no reason not to start now. Look around youll find the tools and supplies. Check Amazon they have all different kinds of presses, LEE, Hornady, rcbs in stock.

I did forget to mention the tumbler. I use an rcbs vibratory tumbler with walnut and nufinish. I thought about upgrading to a wet rotary with stainless media but mine works just fine.

Northern New England

No big rush for me getting into this. I found a bunch of 30-30 online. That'll cover me for this hunting season. This'll probably be something I dick around with this winter. Gives me a chance to poke around for something used too.

I've been going back and forth on getting into reloading for about a year now. At first I thought it was just a simple remove primer, pop in new primer, fill with power, pop on new bullet while I have a beer. But obviously its a lot more involved than that.

With straight wall pistol ammo, it is just about that simple. Rifle ammo involves a few more steps.

Looked at the Dillons. The 650 and the 750. Went back and forth on it. Iunno. Not looking to start my own factory.

Perhaps a Lee setup would be better? If I could pop out a few dozen rounds in a night that'd be neat. Right now I just crank a few hours of Call of Duty. I think tinkering at a bench would be a more productive way to spend my time.

Dillon is the Cadillac. Lee is the chebby. I have the Lee Classic Turret. Satisfies my needs. The press itself is great, as are the dies, but the accessories tend to be kinda cheesy.

The Lee kit will do all you need for 30-30. So will the RCBS and Lyman. And you can reload that round way cheaper than buying factory ammo. You do not need 10,000 primers. :shaking:
If you have to pay hazmat to get your primers, the more you buy, the cheaper cost per primer. But you go ahead and by 1000 primers for $34 and the $25ish hazmat fee.

Same goes for powder.

If you have to pay hazmat to get your primers, the more you buy, the cheaper cost per primer. But you go ahead and by 1000 primers for $34 and the $25ish hazmat fee.

Same goes for powder.

It took me over 15 years to burn through 2,000 Fed rifle primers I bought at the store. If he adds the primers to a 1 lb or 8 of powder and some bullets it's not as bad as you make it. Sucks to be married to the wrong primer. Imagine having 9,975 of the worng shit. Alternate advice would be to store buy by the hundred to see what works better. In a lever 30-30 probably not important. Yes, If you have to pay hazmat . . . . . .

It took me over 15 years to burn through 2,000 Fed rifle primers I bought at the store. If he adds the primers to a 1 lb or 8 of powder and some bullets it's not as bad as you make it. Sucks to be married to the wrong primer. Imagine having 9,975 of the worng shit. Alternate advice would be to store buy by the hundred to see what works better. In a lever 30-30 probably not important. Yes, If you have to pay hazmat . . . . . .

The reason the 10k primers was brought up was to point out its better financially to look around locally to find the hazmat parts unless you plan on buying mass quantities. Thats why I posted the prices I did theyre all local prices without shipping or hazmat.

Some of us do buy primers by the 10k. I can go through 1000 primers a month. Between match days and range days 2-300 rds a weekend is nothing. I shot prs, 3gun and a few different pistol series before my move. I would buy several thousand pistol and couple thousand rifle primers every six months plus 10lbs +- of powder. Im not shooting competition anymore and Ive already gone through 400 primers in the last month.

yeah I hear ya. The OP was thinking about the 30-30. He will never in his or 10 lifetimes use the 10,000 primers in his 30-30 The weapon, and 4 more like it wont last that long. I know this is irate, and I know it's OSR, but one guy has to not pile onto the Dillon ya de dah and 10,000 round pack. After his start, after his entry and dedication is when he should think about a bulk purchase. Wouldn't you agree ?

yeah I hear ya. The OP was thinking about the 30-30. He will never in his or 10 lifetimes use the 10,000 primers in his 30-30 The weapon, and 4 more like it wont last that long. I know this is irate, and I know it's OSR, but one guy has to not pile onto the Dillon ya de dah and 10,000 round pack. After his start, after his entry and dedication is when he should think about a bulk purchase. Wouldn't you agree ?

Pretty much what I'm looking to do. See where it ends up.

I'll probably do the RCBS setup. Not now due to other projects, but it does look like for ~$500 I could get started.

Got this message from someone (not here):

If you are in the US, I have a deal for you. I have an RCBS press and a variety of small tools you'll need. I'll trade for some 30-30 brass just because I've been shooting and reloading the same 100 cases for 10 years. A d don't need the spare equipment. I can throw in a reloading book as well. Itll6 cut your initial expenses in half if not more.

I asked for more details and pictures. See what he's got. Sounds a little sketchy, but his history looks legit. See what happens.

I was out shopping this weekend. I could find pistol primers but nothing big for like 209s. No shot in sight. (I load 12 ga for trap and low pressure rounds for pre 1950 shotguns)

No powder. no bullets. Really nothing out there right now. On the shelf locally and forget finding ammo anywhere.

It is not the time to buy. But keep your eyes open and get what you can. Who knows if the election goes the wrong way these things will either disappear or not ever be available again.

Top Back Refresh