What's new

Recommend me a midlife crisis dirt bike

I agree with others for cruising the trails with the kids a DRZ400 or a XR400 would be a good bike

It's one thing to ride dirt bikes your whole life, it's another thing to just hop on one in your 40s.

Not saying he can't do it, but your comparison is kinda apples to oranges.

I've ridden bikes throughout my life, just never owned my own or rode regularly enough for me to consider myself a novice or better rider. Currently when I ride dirt roads and the back yard with the kids I'm borrowing my BIL's '78 Honda XL250S. I could continue to ride that at my leisure, but I'm ready for my own.

It's one thing to ride dirt bikes your whole life, it's another thing to just hop on one in your 40s.

Not saying he can't do it, but your comparison is kinda apples to oranges.

The old man took a 20-25 year hiatus from riding, got back on a bike when I got my first, he was 46. Letting your age limit what you do is silly.

Yz 250. Blast to ride, and takes a beating. Mine is down for a long overdue overall after who knows how many hours. Top end let go and piston scattered on the last ride so looks like a full rebuild. My buddy who I bought it from and had it since new said he doesn't even remember the last top end he did, we're guessing probably 3 or 400 hours of hard riding.

Crf230. I'm 6'4 220 lbs and have no problem with it. A little more power to pick the front end up when cruising would be nice, but by no means a deal breaker.

Don't buy a small girl's bike. Crf230 is probably the most boring bike you could possibly get. A cr80 is a more exciting bike than that.

Now, OP, don't be a bitch, get an old yz490.

I ride my bike 3 times a week around the track i have at the shop to stay in shape.....I'm 45. Its alot more fun than forcing myself to go to a gym. If you can't handle riding a dirt bike for a few hours without being sore for days, then thats your body telling you to get off your ass and exercise.

I did buy a SxS at the beginning of the year but only to short course race it. I'd still be doing MX races on a dirt bike at 45 but with my current job and responsibilities, a cage, helmet and 5pt harness has become a necessity for the kind of fun I want to have. Growing up sucks. :laughing:

Michigan single-track is 24" wide anyway. It's in the woods.

He's looking for a lightweight bike that has trail (tractor) power that also skims across sand. The single-track is basically a sandy rut for most spots.

Narrowing the handlebars is pretty common. It's pretty tight.

RgRCvto.jpg

There are SXS capable trails but they're pretty limited. Doing the Big O is pretty much the 'salvage the weekend' activity for downstate.

gigdQJZ.jpg

Big O in the snow:

jvFrtRn.jpg

Big O is the cadillac of single-tracks, you can run up there for an afternoon on the weekend.

Here's Evart, never done this one.

PHmXBol.jpg

The 450s and stuff can easily do it, it just seems like the guys on 250s and 300s are having a lot more fun.

I suck at all this and don't even own a bike anymore. But it's tight, technical stuff and the northern trails get decent elevation changes. SxS and ATVs are excluded from much of not most of it.

Last edited:
Michigan single-track is 24" wide anyway. It's in the woods. As I predicted the thread would descend into a listing of everyone's favorite bikes.

He's looking for a lightweight bike that has trail (tractor) power that also skims across sand. The single-track is basically a sandy rut for most spots, there are other areas and shared ATV/motorcycle trails.

It's all trees and he needs bark-busters and no signals or any of that shit.

I am by far not an expert, I'm barely competent and only rode for a couple of years a few years ago, after having a bike as a kid. But lugging even a modern 450 through the single-track gets to be a chore, fast. People still use them but 250s, the KLR 300/klx 230, KTM 300 are extremely popular for a reason.

A hi/lo beam headlight, talight light with brakelite, enough generator to power it, a horn, and DOT tires will get you past a police inspection for street legal. Get a rearview mirror for the helmet last I knew.

Then a motorcycle endorsement.

He also needs bar bark-busters, not the plastic paddles. Narrowing the handlebars is almost a must on a couple of trails.

He knows this already but I'm just saying.

WTF are you talking about if you're by far no expert? :rolleyes:

I have a CRF250L, it's heavy and a dog in stock form. You'll have to put $1500 into it to get any power and you'll still be left with suspension that is soft and bottoms out.

I recommend more bike if you're going to ride single track, you'll hate this thing on the first real hill you climb.

I wish I would have bought the 350exc.

Can't really go wrong with a DRZ400S. Reliable, street legal, not as big or heavy as a 650 dual sport.

But not as light and nimble as a real dirtbike though, but as big as you are I think you would be fine.

Seriiusly, look at a Yamaha WR250R. Fuel injected and has as good of power as the DRZ, but better parts and whatnot.

A KTM exc350 are awesome but $$$. A brand new Honda CRF450L would be great too (basically street legal race bike) but they want almost $13K and good luck finding one used.

The Yamaha is basically the best mix of cost, reliability, performance, and maintenance.

...Those long stages get unenjoyable fast. You're tall and big so you're going to have to work harder anyway, this is a system where smaller people have a distinct advantage.

​​​​​​Too Tall Mike Bell was a motocross rider for Team Yamaha & his height was credited to become a Supercross star.

Be a "motor mouse" to be a legit achiever :lmao:

To the Eman~ find a reliable bike & hit those trails with the boys :beer:

Run as fast as you can, jump and do an over the shoulder tumble at full speed over the curb into the front lawn. Stand up and smile.

It you enjoy that, go out and buy a dirt bike. Just buy a cheap one >450 and have fun this summer. You will know what you want.

At 45, I'm seeking my first dual sport or enduro to enjoy Michigan's trail systems with my teenaged kids. The kids are each riding a '05 & '06 Honda CRF150F that I got from a friend last year. I'm ~6'5" @ ~275#. I'd plan to buy used this fall-winter or whenever a really good deal presents itself. If given the option, I'd choose reliability over speed. Being street legal is positive, but not a requirement as I won't be driving it to work. Budget, probably somewhere around $5k but preferably less.

What say ye' Irate?

I have a KX 500 and a WR 426. The 500 is for "OH My Fawking God!" and the 426 is great on the trails. Doesn't blow the tire off like the 500. Just pulls and spins some. If you ride where there's altitude, the smaller bikes are serverlly lacking. In Colorado I'd have to pin a 250 size bike to get it to climb up above 8,000ft. Big bikes work MUCH better.

Last edited:
Seriiusly, look at a Yamaha WR250R. Fuel injected and has as good of power as the DRZ, but better parts and whatnot.

A KTM exc350 are awesome but $$$. A brand new Honda CRF450L would be great too (basically street legal race bike) but they want almost $13K and good luck finding one used.

The Yamaha is basically the best mix of cost, reliability, performance, and maintenance.

You can get decent power with exhaust and power commander. I bought mine used and the old guy that had is before me had already put the stuff on.

I have a KX 500 and a WR 426. The 500 is for "OH My Fawking God!" and the 426 is great on the trails. Doesn't blow the tire off like the 500. Just pulls and spins some. If you ride where there's altitude, the smaller bikes are serverlly lacking. In Colorado I'd have to pin a 250 size bike to get it to climb up above 8,000ft. Big bikes work MUCH better.

No worries about altitude. Mt. Arvon, the highest point in the state, is just shy of 2000ft. Like evernoob mentioned, the northern lower peninsula trails are mostly fine, loose sand that hangs in the air when it's dry.

Thanks for the feedback so far, all.

Get one that starts with an H, husaberg, Husqvarna and get a big fucker! 500 minimum! Then record yourself riding:stirthepot::flipoff2:

​​​​​​Too Tall Mike Bell was a motocross rider for Team Yamaha & his height was credited to become a Supercross star.

Be a "motor mouse" to be a legit achiever :lmao:

To the Eman~ find a reliable bike & hit those trails with the boys :beer:

I'm unathletic and fat, and I do the trails. Of course tall people can do it.

Of course someone should pick a bike and go out, I said as much.

But taller people have a harder time on bigger bikes on 24" single-track.

Jesus fuck someone back me up. I'm saying the sky is blue and IBB is looking at me weird. Buncha couch-driving faggots I guess.

Rock bouncer = couch.

I've ridden bikes throughout my life, just never owned my own or rode regularly enough for me to consider myself a novice or better rider. Currently when I ride dirt roads and the back yard with the kids I'm borrowing my BIL's '78 Honda XL250S. I could continue to ride that at my leisure, but I'm ready for my own.

Are you happy with riding the XL250? Do you feel you need more bike than that? The CRF230F would be a good match. Actually it will have a bit more power, better suspension and handle better than the XL250. MSRP is a bit over 4k brand new. It would defiantly be a step up from the XL, without being any more work to ride and have fun on.

It's way too easy to say "I'll just get a 450 motocross bike and not turn the throttle all the way". It just doesn't work that way. They're made to be on the gas hard or on the brakes hard, period. They don't handle good just cruising around. My YZ450f sucked on tight single track just goofing around with friends but, it was great on a motocross track if I kept on the gas.

Don't buy a small girl's bike. Crf230 is probably the most boring bike you could possibly get. A cr80 is a more exciting bike than that.

Now, OP, don't be a bitch, get an old yz490.

You shut your whore mouth with the yz490 talk.:flipoff2: I had a '83. Power of a 490, powerband of a 125, nonexistent brakes and handled like shit. There was literally nothing to like about it. Broke the frame on it and blew out my ACL. Fuck those things. There were probably more "injury forces sale" with those than the old TM400's.

Are you happy with riding the XL250? Do you feel you need more bike than that? The CRF230F would be a good match. Actually it will have a bit more power, better suspension and handle better than the XL250. MSRP is a bit over 4k brand new. It would defiantly be a step up from the XL, without being any more work to ride and have fun on.

It's way too easy to say "I'll just get a 450 motocross bike and not turn the throttle all the way". It just doesn't work that way. They're made to be on the gas hard or on the brakes hard, period. They don't handle good just cruising around. My YZ450f sucked on tight single track just goofing around with friends but, it was great on a motocross track if I kept on the gas.

You shut your whore mouth with the yz490 talk.:flipoff2: I had a '83. Power of a 490, powerband of a 125, nonexistent brakes and handled like shit. There was literally nothing to like about it. Broke the frame on it and blew out my ACL. Fuck those things. There were probably more "injury forces sale" with those than the old TM400's.

The WR250 is far more street legal bike for only a little more money.

​​​​​​

Honestly man, WRR hands down.

I've got four years and thousands of getting my DR650 setup right. I'd trade it off for a setup WRR in a heartbeat.

If your woods riding, you want an enduro or trail bike, not motorcross. Even they are different, especially weight between the enduro and trail bikes.. I rode in the woods of Alabama and Florida. Hare and Hound stuff. So tight the bars of the bike won't clear. A WR or equivalent is what you want. Suspension is softer all around as you're not doing doubles and triples, steering, even steering angle is tuned and setup for riding slower through tight stuff with quick turning. I also had a KTM 300 for that stuff. Many Enduro bikes have a heavier flywheel and tuning for low rpm riding along with provisions for powering electrical for lighting. Then the electric start on newer bikes is pimp. Helps a lot when stuck in the mud above the footpegs.

Motorcross bikes have a taller 1 st gear and shorter top gear, Close ratio. Ratios are wider on trail, enduro bikes, so dabbing and picking your way through tight stuff, logs, tree roots is easier with a lower 1st and 2nd gear. Tires with low pressure is the key and I strongly suggest a Rekluse clutch. Makes life so much easier. Yes, you CAN ride a motorcross bike in the woods, I have ridden my KX 500 in it, but I promise you, it is WORK. That's why I have a WR. It so much easier and you don't sweat near as much. Don't forget the bark busters and wear your gear. Trees will knock the hell out of you as you will find out.

The WR250 is far more street legal bike for only a little more money.

​​​​​​

That looks like it could be a good fit too.

OP just sounds like he'd be better off without a full on motocross or enduro bike. Which looks like enduro is now called cross country.

There's also the tt-r230 from Yamaha. Pretty much the same as the CRF230f but in blue.

Yea, I feel I need more bike than the XL250. The XL250 is adequate for putting around the yard or dirt roads. It's way under-powered and quite a beast to keep balanced in flat sandy trails.

Yea, I feel I need more bike than the XL250. The XL250 is adequate for putting around the yard or dirt roads. It's way under-powered and quite a beast to keep balanced in flat sandy trails.

If the XL250 feels way under powered, then any of the new 230's would probably only feel like a bit of an improvement in the power department.

That Yamaha WR250R the others have mentioned sure looks like it would fit the bill. It actually looks like a pretty cool bike.That's going to be a big bump in power but, it would be way more manageable than the way a full on motocross bike puts out its power. Plus it has a far better suspension than any of the 230's do.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dual-sport/models/wr250r

Honda's version. Looks like it weighs a lot more than the Yamaha.

https://powersports.honda.com/off-road/adventure/crf250l

Everything is a beast in the sand.:flipoff2: Keep your weight more to the rear. The bike is going to dance around under you, let it, just keep squeezing the bike with your legs. Don't move too far forward in the turns, a neutral position is better in the sand.

Good luck riding with kids. Yesterday I did around 20 to 30 miles on OHV trails on my XR650R chasing around a guy on a 850 sportsman ATV. I'm 58, 6'2", 275 lbs, don't exercise much and my hands regularly go numb from carpal tunnel and the other guy is around 50, retired office worker, skinny and trains for half marathons regularly cycling and running. I am durable as hell though, had 1 minor go down on a steep downhill sandy washout that I barely hit my knee on the ground. My leg muscles feel a bit sore today, more noticeable than the minor abrasion I got when I planted my knee in the dirt and tore my pants, which were just jeans not my padded riding pants. I had no plans on this tent camping trip to go hitting trails fast, just thought I'd be riding it to the store mostly. Pretty much not that fun a time for me but I survived fine. He openly admitted he couldn't do it on a bike but it didn't make me like going faster than I wanted to chasing a maniac on an ATV. At the end of the day he got way ahead and lost me and I casually made my way out of the trail system with no further issues.

Last edited:
Good luck riding with kids. Yesterday I did around 20 to 30 miles on OHV trails on my XR650R chasing around a guy on a 850 sportsman ATV. I'm 58, 275 lbs, don't exercise much and my hands regularly go numb from carpal tunnel and the other guy is around 50, skinny and trains for half marathons regularly cycling and running. I am durable as hell though, had 1 minor go down on a steep downhill sandy washout that I barely hit my knee on the ground. My leg muscles feel a bit sore today, more noticeable than the minor abrasion I got when I planted my knee in the dirt and tore my pants, which were just jeans not my padded riding pants. I had no plans on this tent camping trip to go hitting trails fast, just thought I'd be riding it to the store mostly. Pretty much not that fun a time for me but I survived fine. He openly admitted he couldn't do it on a bike but it didn't make me like going faster than I wanted to chasing a maniac on an ATV. At the end of the day he got way ahead and lost me and I casually made my way out of the trail system with no further issues.

I haven't owned my WRR long and have only used it on pavement and gravel roads so far (need new tires before hitting single track). Before I touch dirt, I'll be getting knee braces and something like the Alpinestars bionic v2 jacket; I don't bounce back from accidents like I used to and want the protection.

Good luck riding with kids. Yesterday I did around 20 to 30 miles on OHV trails on my XR650R chasing around a guy on a 850 sportsman ATV. I'm 58, 6'2", 275 lbs, don't exercise much and my hands regularly go numb from carpal tunnel and the other guy is around 50, retired office worker, skinny and trains for half marathons regularly cycling and running. I am durable as hell though, had 1 minor go down on a steep downhill sandy washout that I barely hit my knee on the ground. My leg muscles feel a bit sore today, more noticeable than the minor abrasion I got when I planted my knee in the dirt and tore my pants, which were just jeans not my padded riding pants. I had no plans on this tent camping trip to go hitting trails fast, just thought I'd be riding it to the store mostly. Pretty much not that fun a time for me but I survived fine. He openly admitted he couldn't do it on a bike but it didn't make me like going faster than I wanted to chasing a maniac on an ATV. At the end of the day he got way ahead and lost me and I casually made my way out of the trail system with no further issues.

I had a 2001ish XR650r with the powerup kit and it was a pig in the woods. It was twice as much work as my DRZ or WRR in tight single track. Fun in more open stuff, though.

Top Back Refresh