What's new

Recommend me a midlife crisis dirt bike

I haven't owned my WRR long and have only used it on pavement and gravel roads so far (need new tires before hitting single track). Before I touch dirt, I'll be getting knee braces and something like the Alpinestars bionic v2 jacket; I don't bounce back from accidents like I used to and want the protection.

Don't go to knee braces until you have to. Only reason for them is a weak knee. They are responsible for lots of hip injuries because of limited knee movement.

OP: go buy a ktm 300 xc-w. Get the suspension setup for your weight, add a rekluse, and have fun.

Shitty heavy trail bikes are just that. They are cheap because they're heavy and slow. The ktm dominates for a reason. Wide power, adjustable power valve for a big hit or smooth. Xc-w will be the wide ratio gear box for 5mph or 100mph.

Oh, and the ktm will be fun for years. Anything else will get traded for a bigger bike shortly after you realize how slow they are. Happened to my buddy who said "man there are a bunch of tough trails up there". When I left him in the dust he realized they were so tough because he was on a 300lb 250, and I was on a 230lb 360 with real suspension. I was cruising over and through stuff in 3rd at 50mph while he was crawling in first at 15mph.

I'll make yer choice really easy, you are welcome
AA34FD3F-1E6B-438B-9F0B-4F177163E2C3.jpeg

Don't go to knee braces until you have to. Only reason for them is a weak knee. They are responsible for lots of hip injuries because of limited knee movement.

OP: go buy a ktm 300 xc-w. Get the suspension setup for your weight, add a rekluse, and have fun.

Shitty heavy trail bikes are just that. They are cheap because they're heavy and slow. The ktm dominates for a reason. Wide power, adjustable power valve for a big hit or smooth. Xc-w will be the wide ratio gear box for 5mph or 100mph.

Oh, and the ktm will be fun for years. Anything else will get traded for a bigger bike shortly after you realize how slow they are. Happened to my buddy who said "man there are a bunch of tough trails up there". When I left him in the dust he realized they were so tough because he was on a 300lb 250, and I was on a 230lb 360 with real suspension. I was cruising over and through stuff in 3rd at 50mph while he was crawling in first at 15mph.

XCW will only go 90 if you go up to a 15t front sprocket. It then does not like to rock crawl. If you leave the stock 13t on it's a mountain goat but tops out a little over 60.

It also has supercross suspension valving. The Huskys are way more comfortable on the trail. Seats on both are not meant to be sat on.

Still a light great handling bike.

I haven't owned my WRR long and have only used it on pavement and gravel roads so far (need new tires before hitting single track). Before I touch dirt, I'll be getting knee braces and something like the Alpinestars bionic v2 jacket; I don't bounce back from accidents like I used to and want the protection.
If you don't have to knee brace I wouldn't
Unfortunately I have cadaver knee parts now and require braces

I hate them

But I will admit that I am scared to ride without them

....still hate them

Kawasaki KDX 200 with KIPS. Ultimate trail/Enduro bike.

Built on a KX 250 frame, just built a lil HD in certain areas of the frame. Mine was a blast.

Full on KX,CR type bikes do well on the track or open spaces but are not that great for trail/Enduro type riding due to their powerband being so powerful at the onset of it kicking on.

I've raced with them all and I like the KX model for its raw power and reliability but it has it's place.

Kawasaki KDX 200 with KIPS. Ultimate trail/Enduro bike.

Built on a KX 250 frame, just built a lil HD in certain areas of the frame. Mine was a blast.

Full on KX,CR type bikes do well on the track or open spaces but are not that great for trail/Enduro type riding due to their powerband being so powerful at the onset of it kicking on.

I've raced with them all and I like the KX model for its raw power and reliability but it has it's place.
I agree on the KDX if you can get an H model (95+), they're a little soft stock but some suspension and carb work goes a long way. My '95 is about as built as they get and it rips

PXL_20210227_202348935.jpg

Year and a half later. . . . .

day 1: The bike was missing a seat, cylinder head exhaust hanger, and side plastics. The bike came with Excel Takasago rims w/ Talon hubs, FMF fatty & Bills shorty silencer, V-Force reeds, and the stand.

20210716_202336.jpg

Stripped down, cleaned, and de-badged. I had local PD run the VIN before buying parts. VIN came back clean and I got it titled.

20220402_134329.jpg

A full engine rebuild was required. Shrapnel was in the bottom case which lead to a discovery that 4th gear was dinged. Top end received a Wossner 68.5mm piston (+2.1mm over stock) and the bottom end received a Hot Rods kit. 4th gear was replaced, too. Black Friday drunkenness lead to buying a Polisport plastics kit, grips, hand guards, f/r brake pads, 13t and 50t sprockets, and a chain. Finishing touches will be installing carb vent hoses and the rest of the black Friday haul. The silencer isn't USFS approved, so that'll be dealt soon.

20221205_194408 (1).jpg

Didn't look super close at the pictures.
The 500AFs are cool, but not worth anywhere near what they command.

The 250 should be a great bike as long as you aren't too fat. Prefer the simpler, lighter 2 strokes to the newer 4 strokes.
Old XR type 4 strokes suite my riding style best though.
Good bike.:smokin:

Didn't look super close at the pictures.
The 500AFs are cool, but not worth anywhere near what they command.

The 250 should be a great bike as long as you aren't too fat. Prefer the simpler, lighter 2 strokes to the newer 4 strokes.
Old XR type 4 strokes suite my riding style best though.
Good bike.:smokin:

6'5 ~275#, lol.

nice looking old cr. I missed the year, mechanical pv or newer than 01?
I bought an 01 and threw the bank at it. trying to replace a 300xcw. Gold valves, suspension sent off. woodys rebuilt the wheels, put tubeless in them. big bore hot rod kit, carb, pipe, flywheel weight. all new black plastics, seat, every thing was done to it. rode it in one harescramble and promptly bought a new 300xcw. :lmao:

ive always been a honda guy, hence my user name. but I should change it to orangekoolaidnut now. :laughing:

about my brothers size. he rode the same bike, when we rode.

i didn't see suspension on the list. might have missed it. getting the suspension dialed to your size would be a high priority if it where mine.

That's in consideration for round 2 mods. Round 1 is making it go, stop, turn. . etc. Round two, if I decide to go that route would be throwing money at suspension, skid plate, and other shoulda bought a KTM mods.

Cool to see you got a project. Shameless plug if anyone is looking for a Yamaha 450FX, I've been on the fence on selling mine. Never ride it. Brand new tires and ready to ride with a rekluse clutch and all. Come take it :laughing::homer:

That's in consideration for round 2 mods. Round 1 is making it go, stop, turn. . etc. Round two, if I decide to go that route would be throwing money at suspension, skid plate, and other shoulda bought a KTM mods.
next to having a running bike, suspension is the most important for a big guy.its not expensive, definitely the best bang for the buck

racetech is who we've used, rebuild and install yourself, its not hard at all.

Got it running this evening without much drama. Break-in heat cycle #1 of 3 has been completed. Planning to complete cycles #2 and 3 tomorrow. Looks like the project is on schedule to complete before the official start of winter- just in time to put it away for a couple months, lol.

Nice find. I've been looking around for a small cc bike to rebuild.

Top Back Refresh