What's new

Recommend me a good shotgun for clays

Hmmm. They are ok guns for the money. Awesome guns I would disagree with.
Speaking of ATI, We had a guy on our trap league with one. He bought an ATI like the second week of the first year of league.

Second year of league he was complaining of the lock up/receiver being loose. Figured it was just a faulty gun. Way too late for warranty at this point.
He went and bought another brand new ATI over under. Cheap enough so why not. He was pretty happy with it. Was shooting decent rounds with it.

Towards the end of the second year I decided to jump on the O/U bandwagon. The ATI was like $450. Why not right?

Found shop not too far from me that had one in stock thought I would go get it. When I got there and started handling it the shop owner says, you are not going to shoot trap with it are you?
I said actually yes why?
He said don't use it for trap the receiver will be worn out in a year.

lmao, that is exactly what happened to my team member. So did not buy.
At the end of year two my team member was already having problems with the ATI he bought earlier that year.

I think he has been shooting a tristar for a couple years now, seems to be holding up.

I also have a weatherby orion 1 that I don't shoot because it doesn't fit me, but another team member does and it seems to be holding up very well. That was just under $1000. But then you probably will spend another $400 in making it fit you right.

Speaking of ATI, We had a guy on our trap league with one. He bought an ATI like the second week of the first year of league.

Second year of league he was complaining of the lock up/receiver being loose. Figured it was just a faulty gun. Way too late for warranty at this point.
He went and bought another brand new ATI over under. Cheap enough so why not. He was pretty happy with it. Was shooting decent rounds with it.

Towards the end of the second year I decided to jump on the O/U bandwagon. The ATI was like $450. Why not right?

Found shop not too far from me that had one in stock thought I would go get it. When I got there and started handling it the shop owner says, you are not going to shoot trap with it are you?
I said actually yes why?
He said don't use it for trap the receiver will be worn out in a year.

lmao, that is exactly what happened to my team member. So did not buy.
At the end of year two my team member was already having problems with the ATI he bought earlier that year.

I think he has been shooting a tristar for a couple years now, seems to be holding up.

I also have a weatherby orion 1 that I don't shoot because it doesn't fit me, but another team member does and it seems to be holding up very well. That was just under $1000. But then you probably will spend another $400 in making it fit you right.
Nice to know, haven't had that problem, will keep in the back of my head.

I've seen several fail during shoots. I wouldn't own one.

Hmmm. They are ok guns for the money. Awesome guns I would disagree with.

Harry Johnson, listen to me now and hear me later, Winchester Super X Model 1. One of the greatest auto loaders of all time.

If not that, then a Benelli M1 Super 90.

If you want to go higher cost, a used Benelli Super Sport
Where the videos? After the first one I’d be recording anyone shooting one. Several times equals 4+ times. You have to have a video! :lmao:

Nice to know, haven't had that problem, will keep in the back of my head.
It was a really nice feeling gun. Shoots great. Just not built to handle the high round count of league shooting. He specifically bought it because it was so light and easy on his shoulders.

If you are going to do sporting clays, or trap, or skeet just a couple times a year and not serious about it then I think it is a decent cost effect alternative to what is out there.

But as many guns hold or increase in value I do not think the ATI O/U is one of them.

My son and I, pretty sure we will have shot over 12,000 rounds this year already between leagues, practice, 5 stand, and sporting clays. I reload so I don't pay attention much to round counts. Just try to keep the shelf full.
You have membership at $200 a year, $5.50 for every 25 birds.

If you are ever to get serious about league type shooting then spend on a gun that will last 50 or 100k rounds. You will be money ahead and a better shooter. Remingtons have always fit me well out of the box, no custom fitting required. Different for everyone, I know my 870 is over 50k rounds. Probably be shocked to know how many.

Shooting leagues would be more expensive than Golf IF they served alcohol. LOL

Where the videos? After the first one I’d be recording anyone shooting one. Several times equals 4+ times. You have to have a video! :lmao:
Lots of videos from TFB TV. James has tested them all including their newest M4 clone and they have all been piles of shit that struggle to get through a single magazine tube.

What makes a awsome gun in you eyes?

In my eyes it is value for the money. Looks, weight, and you point it and goes boom.
I had used it in the field and trap for years.
Have 6000 plus rounds thru it. Neve a hiccup.

To me that makes a awsome gun.
One that is made with quality materials and parts.

My Winchester 101 comes to mind. Probably made in the 70s. A couple hundred thousand rounds and during my wife's last year of women's shooting league, she broke a firing pin. I replaced pins and springs easily at home. Now, after that many rounds, it could use an action rebuild, starting to get loose and sloppy. And it can be rebuilt. ATIs are not worth rebuilding. Many to most smiths will not work on them. They are more of a disposable gun.

My BIL brought an ATI to the ranch, fresh from Academy. Wouldnt run 2 shells in a row without jamming. We tried 4 boxes of different kinds of ammo. They May do fine for you and your use but they aren't awesome guns, they are just decent enough for their low price.

What's there to video? 2 times, different gun, same guy John, had to pound out shells with wooden dowel rods. Ejectors completely shit the bed. 1st one he took back to academy, the gave him another gun. Did the same thing.

Jake, another coworker, had to finish two different sporting clay tournaments shooting my Superposed as he had firing pin issues. Hang fire or no fire. Those two separate times were the same gun. I think he returned it and got his money back. Again, what's there to video? I'm not a 14 year old girl who records everything she sees.

The Yildiz are shit and I've seen them be shit. If you gota good one, then you should feel lucky and proud

Bought the wife an 1187, 30 years ago, fits me great. 1100 also can't go wrong. Whatever you buy, fit is paramount to successful shooting. Good fit also helps with perceived recoil. Consult a professional at a busy gun club for proper fit, some guns can be fit for you with shims between stock and receiver. Shoot several at your club, most folks will let you shoot their gun if you are polite and observe proper safety procedures.

One that fits.

I like my 870s, but don't like how an autoloader feels while shooting it, especially the A5. They feel like they're falling apart in your hands, in my opinion.

One of the many B gun offerings in an O/U would treat you well, forever, and not lose value.

you can find a Benelli Montefeltro for around a grand or a Franchi Al-48 for around $700.. an 1187 or 1100 for a little less thank a grand. Benelli/Franchi is the lighter weight option. 1100s are pretty heavy in comparison.

Beretta A400.

My dad just gave me a Weatherby Orion. He bought it because it looked nice, let it sit in the vault for 2 years while he shot his A400's. Realized he'd never shoot it again because it isn't as nice shooting as the Beretta. It may have 500 rounds through it.

I cleaned one of his sporting guns. 23000 rounds of skeet loads and it was still running. He just
dropped some oil on the bolt time to time. :laughing:
Gas system was dirty as sin, but it was still going.

If you need a double barrel the Winchester 101 is the standard for cheap but well built and reliable.

Shotguns get crazy in a hurry.

What makes a awsome gun in you eyes?

In my eyes it is value for the money. Looks, weight, and you point it and goes boom.
I had used it in the field and trap for years.
Have 6000 plus rounds thru it. Neve a hiccup.

To me that makes a awsome gun.

You're just a cheap bastard :flipoff2:

6000 rounds isn't many. That's a good summer for me. :laughing:

Yepper
I am
Good for you

Just know that your hunting gun is not a clays gun.
What will take you 20 years to wear out, he could have done in 2 years if he gets competitive.

There's a reason the better guns cost more, they have easily replaceable wear parts. It's cheaper to scrap a cheap gun than fix the unfixable.

I haVe a Benelli super sport 30''. Pretty nice auto gun, exposed chokes, inertia driven=low recoil. My kid has shot it well and won his age group in the sun flower state games with it. Picked up a Browning Citori 725 high rib this year. Damn is it a nice shot gun. I didn't know how I would like the o/u and the recoil, but Im big (fat) enough that it doesnt bother me. Having different chokes on the same clay set has proven advantageous.

200961-benellisupersport_fs.jpg
25813-5977218.jpg

Whatever you choose, I’d do it in 20 gauge. For the clays range, being able to dump 50 shells in a small pouch is pretty handy. Recoil is FAR more comfortable to me, especially if you chose the magic of a 20 gauge gas auto. The gun will have a nice delicate sporty feel to it, you can easily shoot 200rds in a day without soreness, and if you’re going to walk a sporting clays range you’ll really appreciate the lighter ammo.

It might cost you a few percent in scoring. But anytime I lend a 20 to people (Beretta O/U or old ass Benelli Montefeltro) I convince them that it’s a better compromise than a 12 gauge.

I’ve never shot clays competitively but have shot a lot with friends and family. I’ve used a Benelli Nova 12ga, Remington 1187 12ga, Remington 1100 20ga, Remington 870 12ga, and a Mossberg silver reserve O/U 12ga. I absolutely love shooting clays with the Mossberg. It draws perfectly for me and I am very accurate with it.

Whatever you choose, I’d do it in 20 gauge. For the clays range, being able to dump 50 shells in a small pouch is pretty handy. Recoil is FAR more comfortable to me, especially if you chose the magic of a 20 gauge gas auto. The gun will have a nice delicate sporty feel to it, you can easily shoot 200rds in a day without soreness, and if you’re going to walk a sporting clays range you’ll really appreciate the lighter ammo.

It might cost you a few percent in scoring. But anytime I lend a 20 to people (Beretta O/U or old ass Benelli Montefeltro) I convince them that it’s a better compromise than a 12 gauge.

If you can find ammo.

99% of the stores around here only have target loads for 12ga. 20ga is more expensive if you can find it.

You can shoot 7/8 oz loads in the 12ga and get the recoil down to the same place a 20ga is.

Top Back Refresh