What's new

Recommend me a good shotgun for clays

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
I've got a home defense shotgun that doesn't cut it when I go with my buddies to shoot sporting clays. I almost always end up using one of theirs instead of my own, and myself and other people will occasionally grab mine for fun, but rarely hit shit. I don't hunt, don't plan to, just want something decent with a longer barrel and I guess semi-auto?

What's a good place to start?

Currently have a Remington 870 tactical 7-round that has a fixed cylinder choke if that matters. Would rather keep that the way it is and just get a new shotgun for clays.

Put a 28 inch barrel on the 870 for shooting clays. Swap back to the shorter barrel after.
I think I'd still bring out the 870 with a short barrel for fun. I also kinda sorta want something that auto loads because it seems to be an advantage when multiple clays are in the air at once.

I think I'd still bring out the 870 with a short barrel for fun. I also kinda sorta want something that auto loads because it seems to be an advantage when multiple clays are in the air at once.
Lots of auto loading options out there. Stay far away from the cheap Turkish imports.

Looking around, I did notice a ton of names I hadn't heard of for shockingly low prices. Thinking I should avoid those if I'm getting semi auto since they could be more prone to jamming? Especially since I'll probably not clean it as often as I should.

New or used?

My son was using a 870 pump and doing fine, he won an winchester SXP and loves it, they are cheap brand new.

I have an 1187 I bought for $400 used and they are simple, dependable auto loaders. 26" barrel I use for sporting clays, 5 stand, and skeet. Soft shooting, light and easy to swing.

28" barrel seems like the best for every event.

As mentioned, nothing wrong with swapping barrels for these events. Nice vent rib barrel with removable chokes are fairly cheap.

New or used?

My son was using a 870 pump and doing fine, he won an winchester SXP and loves it, they are cheap brand new.

I have an 1187 I bought for $400 used and they are simple, dependable auto loaders. 26" barrel I use for sporting clays, 5 stand, and skeet. Soft shooting, light and easy to swing.

28" barrel seems like the best for every event.

As mentioned, nothing wrong with swapping barrels for these events. Nice vent rib barrel with removable chokes are fairly cheap.
New or used is fine with me. Not sure what problems to look for with used though.

New or used is fine with me. Not sure what problems to look for with used though.
I can't speak for other brands, but the remington 1100 and 1187 are the easiest shooting semi autos out there. Every part is available.
If they don't cycle it is just a couple o-rings that need replaced. Cheap repair kit available most anywhere.

On my 1100 I have never had to replace them. I shot trap for a couple years with it so it has thousands of rounds and not a problem.

My 1187 I just bought a couple years ago I put seals in when i bought it as just a precaution. Not had any problem with it yet either, but not very many rounds through it yet.

I have a remington 1100 trap model 20 guage you are welcome to play with. If you like it maybe we can work something out.

I like the current Yildiz Legacy, Academy brand, 12 ga I’ve been using for skeet, trap, and bird hunting. It was priced right so why the hell not. If money isn’t an issue then get a Benelli or some high end shit and let the gun do all the work.

My 870 seems to be the most reliable with my shit shooting.

I tried a benelli M2 20ga a while back. One of the few shotguns that I don't hit my cheek with when I shoulder the gun. It just fits me. I will own one of them someday. Was looking at a Benelli montefeltro 20ga at the store the other day. Kinda whippy feeling. Be a badass lil gun for snap shots at birds in the brush but I gotta hunch that thing would take alot of focus to keep swinging after the shot.

Seems like the Franchi shotguns are pretty well thought of. Decent price as well

Have a winchester select energy over under shoulders and shoots well for me. It's made by fn.
Have a 28" bbl cz 912 gas operated semiauto I use for pheasant and clays that I shoot really well. It's actually made by huglu in turkey. Copy of a beretta. Probably get ride of it and get an a400 beretta eventually.

I like the current Yildiz Legacy, Academy brand, 12 ga I’ve been using for skeet, trap, and bird hunting. It was priced right so why the hell not. If money isn’t an issue then get a Benelli or some high end shit and let the gun do all the work.

My 870 seems to be the most reliable with my shit shooting.

I've seen several fail during shoots. I wouldn't own one.
Have Turkish shot guns , over unders
ATI
Have in 12 and 20
They are awsome guns

Hmmm. They are ok guns for the money. Awesome guns I would disagree with.

Harry Johnson, listen to me now and hear me later, Winchester Super X Model 1. One of the greatest auto loaders of all time.

If not that, then a Benelli M1 Super 90.

If you want to go higher cost, a used Benelli Super Sport

mighta been aim surplus that had some used ones in stock without barrels for $500
police models with pistol grip stocks (probably had short barrels) but still, seemed cheap, and then you're free to get a 36" full choke fudd barrel for it

mighta been aim surplus that had some used ones in stock without barrels for $500
police models with pistol grip stocks (probably had short barrels) but still, seemed cheap, and then you're free to get a 36" full choke fudd barrel for it
Havnt priced a benelli barrel have you ?

I've seen several fail during shoots. I wouldn't own one.

Hmmm. They are ok guns for the money. Awesome guns I would disagree with.

Harry Johnson, listen to me now and hear me later, Winchester Super X Model 1. One of the greatest auto loaders of all time.

If you want to go higher cost, a used Benelli Super Sport
What makes a awsome gun in you eyes?

In my eyes it is value for the money. Looks, weight, and you point it and goes boom.
I had used it in the field and trap for years.
Have 6000 plus rounds thru it. Neve a hiccup.

To me that makes a awsome gun.

Top Back Refresh