What's new

Recommend me a 4wd desert truck or buggy under $200

KungFooMASTA

El Stupido
Member Number
Loc
17 miles West of Murdock KS
For Christmas my son wants an rc car. I asked him what kind, he said one like his rock crawler but one that goes fast.

Right now he has a Temper 1/12 Crawler it is pretty slow but crawls good. He is only 9 so really anything that goes at least 20mph is fast enough. Something he can rip across the yard or whatnot.

I looked on Amazon but it is hard to believe any of those reviews so that is why I asked here. Im not going to the big town to the hobby store this year. Im not putting up with the dempanic mask bullshit. So I want to order online.

I know most of you will post up things over $200 and say just get it. But this wont be his only expensive gift so Im not spending more than that on an rc car till I know he is into them. He has had his crawler 3 or 4 years and probably only has 2 or 3 hours on it.

The `Honda Powered Kids Buggy`

(Might be a tad over the $200 though).

f405e5e59c61d29f6ff489758ae04606.jpg

craigslist
sort by price
usually there's a subaru, explorer or s10 blazer on there under 500
sawzall the back out into a pickup box
ignore the fact that you went 300 over budget
profit in that you have a useful vehicle rather than an RC thing that'll sit in the closet

Maybe try Radio Shack or a similar electronics store.

My wife got me an RC car for my birthday last night from the local electronics store.

No idea what it cost though.

Try a traxxas 1/16 slash or e revo. Or if you want a little bigger the traxxas telluride. You should be able to find a slightly used one on eBay for $200. I have a brushless Telluride and a brushless 1/16 e revo and the e revo is a ton of fun. And my 6 year old drives it no problem.

He just saw a commercial with a Mega Monster Grave Digger and said that is what he wants. That makes it easy enough for me. Thanks anyways guys. Now I cant blame you all when he is disappointed. :flipoff2:

Radio Shack??

Ok Boomer, what fucking year are you in?

I miss old radio shack 😭 and I’m technically a millennial. I lived in a town in Wyoming in the early 90’s with 1000 population that had two gas stations, one mom n pop grocery store and a RadioShack. The real deal, they had bins of resistors and stuff to build your own circuits. Had a huge selection of R/C stuff in stock, I could fix my stuff over the counter when I broke it.

Traxxas Stampede was a solid classic I always had. Brushed motor and some decent "old school" non-LiPo batteries should do the trick.

We have a radio shack but it does not have any rc cars. It does have the bins with resistors and stuff. Last time I was in there was about 10 years ago buying a few diodes. It is attached onto a furniture and home store so I doubt it could stand by itself I think they are a Verizon store too but every time I go they say they cant do whatever I need and say to go to the big town big verizon store.

Traxxas Stampede was a solid classic I always had. Brushed motor and some decent "old school" non-LiPo batteries should do the trick.

My friends little brother had one. It was pretty much a rustler with bigger tires. I didnt like it since it was 2wd and to heavy for the weak stock 540 motor. Im sure it would be fun now with a brushless motor and lipo. But those Rustlers had terrible steering/suspension geometry and wouldn’t turn for shit.

Specs? Is that running the axles right out the transaxle?

Sammy axles, honda civic transaxle.

It`s from the old site, username draggbody. There`s a 40 page build thread if you care to read up on it. It`s a cool buggy, I wish I had more time to do something similar.

Seems like covid has killed inventory on a lot of RCs.

If you can find a stampede 4x4 with the brushed motor and standard NIMH batteries, it would fit the bill. I have given several to my nephews and friends kids and they hold up to a ton of abuse.
The 4x4 stampede is based off of the slash with taller suspension. Once he gets better driving it, you can upgrade to a brushless motor and lipos.

You could easily swap on a gravedigger body.

Get him a 2wd Arrma Granite Voltage with some decent NiMH batteries and a good LiPO capable charger. It will put you right at or just over your budget. My almost 5 year old has probably put 40 hrs on his in the past year with very minimal problems.

If he’s into it and you want to upgrade him you can get a 3S BLX Granite.

The 4x4 Granite Mega seems like a good deal, but you will end up upgrading it and wishing you had just started with the 3S.

That is what I was wanting to find. But he was real excited about that Mega Grave Digger on the commercial. I ordered one but realized after I did that its only 2wd. I watched a few videos online kids seem to really enjoy them the adults aeem to like them too. I am used to higher quality RCs so Im sure I will be let down but its not for me. I think it will be one of those toys that gets played with a few times then set in the corner with the rest of his junk.

I think If I get him a Slash or something maybe he would get into it more.

Sammy axles, honda civic transaxle.

It`s from the old site, username draggbody. There`s a 40 page build thread if you care to read up on it. It`s a cool buggy, I wish I had more time to do something similar.

Thought it looked familiar wasnt sure it was the same one. Thats why I was thinking straight from the transaxle to the axles.

1202202110.jpg

Got this for my oldest boy a few years back. He is 12 now and still loves it. Especially after I got a good Lipo battery and fast charger for it this year.

I know the OP said he already figured out what to get his son. But thought I would go ahead and post just in case somebody else is interested in somerhing similar.

We did up till a few years ago or so.

The guy that had worked there forever acquired it and changed the name to Clearlake Electronics.

So now its basically a Radio Shack with a different name.

i used to love radio shack. memories..

That's funny, I just now clicked on your link and realized it's the same one I posted. The battery and charger it comes with are not great. I finally upgraded his this year to a Lipo and fast charger/maintainer and it lasts alot longer and seems to go faster.

Btw, I ordered my son's from Summit Racing. Can't remember how much it was from there. But I do know it was free shipping.

Top Back Refresh