What's new

Rear engine 2-seat chassis kit?

patooyee

Member Number
Loc
NWFL
Are there any good ones out there for a 4-cylinder drive train?

And to add further difficulty, any for IFS?

Interested In both IFS and SFA options.

I don't think I've ever seen any rear engine chassis kits or any IFS options. I think its just not popular enough for anyone to make a kit.

Are you looking for compact crawler size? Jimmys4X4 and Tribe16 has rear engine IFS chassis’s sorted out. But they’re probably on the plus size of things for a trail wheeler.

Only rear engine chassis I know of available at all is Jesse Haines single seat comp buggies. All the two seaters in compact trail chassis I can think of are meant for front engine.

Are you looking for compact crawler size? Jimmys4X4 and Tribe16 has rear engine IFS chassis’s sorted out. But they’re probably on the plus size of things for a trail wheeler.

Only rear engine chassis I know of available at all is Jesse Haines single seat comp buggies. All the two seaters in compact trail chassis I can think of are meant for front engine.
Yes, compact.

Old SXOR car is the only one I can readily think of, and it ran the LS for all the vroom noises.

Tydes former 6-shooter now pea shooter is another example of a single seat rear engine that takes advantage of small, compact 4cyl engine size, and is pretty well dialed after almost 2 decades of iterations.

Patooyee, Years ago you stated you were selling the buggy spend more time with family.
Does this thread indicate the chassis in question is for the next generation? Hopefully so.
Glad to see you active again.

Patooyee, Years ago you stated you were selling the buggy spend more time with family.
Does this thread indicate the chassis in question is for the next generation? Hopefully so.
Glad to see you active again.
Family is still priority. I haven't had a shop worth working in for the past decade or so. I recently built my own shop though, so yes, I'd like to tinker in my little spare time. I'll never be as into buggies as I used to be. I don't even have that desire anymore. I can't help the desire to tinker and build though. Trying to deny that would be akin to committing suicide. It has been satiated with family toys for the past years. (Boat, motorhome, 4-seat RZR.) The plan never was to be completely without a rig forever. It was to be without for a long time, for sure. And I'll still be without for a long time. This post represents a minimal commitment to start tinkering on a buggy with no timeline goal in mind. :)

I built this one years ago after being inspired by CrawlDaddy's rig at the old place.
Love a rear engine for pulling the heat out the rear in the summer.
Hated the way it climbed. Water in the fronts made an improvement.
Sold it to a friend who still wheels it.
Not a 4 cyl but pretty small with long legs.

20220519_171403.jpg

Family is still priority. I haven't had a shop worth working in for the past decade or so. I recently built my own shop though, so yes, I'd like to tinker in my little spare time. I'll never be as into buggies as I used to be. I don't even have that desire anymore. I can't help the desire to tinker and build though. Trying to deny that would be akin to committing suicide. It has been satiated with family toys for the past years. (Boat, motorhome, 4-seat RZR.) The plan never was to be completely without a rig forever. It was to be without for a long time, for sure. And I'll still be without for a long time. This post represents a minimal commitment to start tinkering on a buggy with no timeline goal in mind. :)
:lmao:

After having played with the rzr for a few years. Do you consider it’s massive shortcomings hopelessly irreparable? How hard would it be for you to draw up a front suspension that doesn’t suck ass? Since the whole front sub frame comes out by itself. I’d like to make a whole new one as a drop in with better geometry and real steering.

IMG_2814.jpeg

Oh so glad to see you back buddy!! Can't wait to watch you tinker.

After having played with the rzr for a few years. Do you consider it’s massive shortcomings hopelessly irreparable? How hard would it be for you to draw up a front suspension that doesn’t suck ass? Since the whole front sub frame comes out by itself. I’d like to make a whole new one as a drop in with better geometry and real steering.

IMG_2814.jpeg
My RZR does fine for what I do with it. I just trail ride and trail bomb. I try to keep it in one piece so I don't have to spend money or time repairing it. It's street legal so we enjoy riding around in nice weather with it as well.

I have zero confidence that I could do better than Polaris. 🤣

My RZR does fine for what I do with it. I just trail ride and trail bomb.

I have zero confidence that I could do better than Polaris. 🤣
No it doesn’t and I’m 1000% confident you could do better!!! 😉

When you build your IFS trail rig I guarantee you’ll do better than Polaris did. A retarded ape could probably do better with water color on an easel. The Polaris is so sloppy it has no camber gain. The steering on all SXS’s are unacceptably weak.

Been playing around with this. Set up for 108 wheelbase, 80" track width with 37" tires. This shows it with an a ecotech and a corvette 4l60 with a torque tube but changed to traditional engine backwards behind the seats.

Attachments

• Resized_20240222_145006.jpeg
    Resized_20240222_145006.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Been playing around with this. Set up for 108 wheelbase, 80" track width with 37" tires. This shows it with an a ecotech and a corvette 4l60 with a torque tube but changed to traditional engine backwards behind the seats.
That's a really interesting concept. But I guess I made the mistake of calling mid engine (what I really wanted) a rear engine.

Is this what everyone thought I was asking for?

I always assume mid engine when people say rear engine. Nobody in our game wants the engine behind the rear axle.
I can think of a few weirdos that do, it’s definitely a little unorthodox but a rear engine rig on the trails is an absolute riot and eye opener

I've been playing around with this as well. Trying for something cross between a 4ws rock buggy and a sxs. Just something fun, not a racecar! Thinking 37s, lightweight V6, 8spd trans and maybe a 241 or 242 t-case or..... Packaging is an issue. :flipoff2:
Fun Buggy Pic4.jpg

Top Back Refresh