What's new

Rattle_snake's Speed Metal Garage - 34x40x12 shop build

rattle_snake

Fuckwits
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
Disclaimer: It is understood here that it is cool to build a rig in a car port or tent using only a 110v welder and a grinder. But fuck that I'm old now and wanted a shop with a lift and HVAC, so I built one.:flipoff2:

Posting this to irritate the disorganized slobs with my overly clean and waste of time OCD shenanigans'. Yes you can build the same rig in a cluster fuck of parts and junk, but that's not me. So onward with incoherent rambling and associated fuckery.

Bought an acre+ on a county island in Chandler in 2014 with asperations, hopes and dreams of building a shop.
jYWjOYNfcITUAcOtRtxA=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Designed my own building, permitted, and got stated. Ripped out the fencing and trees for dirt work.
slRqwED9cjodbmrHSGjg=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

100 tons fill to build pad above irrigation plane
43rgJvGS4vrqv7epILNg=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

sub'd concrete, footer for mono slab.
Yb1HufGPueRBNJZb2MYw=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Expensive mud that eventually cracked.
K9vxSoBHmaVRLKEggugA=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Had a crew frame in one day and finish the next. I would have done a shiity job over 6 months. Kids and job and stuff.
jgfIfi-FgyDqFRlsJfKA=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

U6VUS2ITls2lVoMmTLAA=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

My new playroom
m2P_IjC9wepiG3KN83mQ=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Sub'd lathe and stucco. I hung all the doors
04SZTRvIE_6NeBSpfykg=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Roof foamed. I painted exterior, built scuppers, drains, vents, ect.
Basic structure done. out of money. Shit load of work to go. Plus a shit load on house, barn/horses, ect.
Jy6Hv5Nyv5NHLiCdoeUg=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Did basic electrical for permitting purposes. Lighting
Si7fcSQ-3zjjHo5jBN4A=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

220v Exhaust fan on timer/speed control, intake vents to use with all doors closed.
3Krr8qz4d7V1pFRjToNw=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Moved shit in and went to work. built some cabinets, storage. Hot as fuck in summer, but better than no shop.
dKd55k-KQPYfxqEqZ0gw=w1024-h579-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Year or two later, the bank account bounced back and I started on finishing inside. Ripped out all conduit and rewired to plastic/romex. Blow in insulation and drywalled ceiling. Installed a used lift.
CxtegSibw8t4NymK90AQ=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Put in batting on walls and drywalled. Fuck drywall, pain in the ass, piece at a time moving shit back and forth.
WHDDM_LbbQMEPKT3P3gA=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Lower 4' get sheet metal, and fab wall geta 8' of 26 ga mild steel. Not SS, no it won't rust here :flipoff2:
dvUkhrNTkbEY9VgeXUbg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Steel and drywall behind is removable for wall access, future wiring.
HbBAVtCdN_kyu9d3_5xw=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

mud, tape, paint. Back to usable shop again.
-EiUyiUjZw3E1KNK4xRg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Air system in blk pipe
eHtsFbSCgQz_V7hRhoKA=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Comp outside on pad
0sAEuxpvWraQYUCrxVK1Q=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3 wall vented shack.
mdeejaJH-InHeUbP0UCqA=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

'69 Mach1 hood for awing, '67 F100 tailgate outdoor workbench with air, power, lighting.
FtoLZes90DiaIMykYP_Ag=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Material rack. Would not do it this way again.
oCzrrtePFI7ffYeqbngg=w1008-h756-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Shallow cabinets
mdMjRWIL5k3i6OOp11qg=w1008-h756-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Bare metal finish doors.
XmYVDRolodJcuvIscRBA=w1008-h756-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Heavy duty overhead shelving/storage with train tracks on ceiling.
o__lkNiRKBtoC_PPCfbw=w1008-h756-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Built a workbench with HF 44s
85u0aujAEoxk8GSNUeAg=w1008-h756-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Installed my own HVAC, Dual 18k mini's
h8Kfej6-Qg0DCwhNxusyg=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

clean side...
drvy4JCVB9N4EKBqzvXA=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Built a welding table. Dirty side...
gKeDwrOrPzV8mp1Z8aLg=w1283-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

fab table
-iBexO9bErLl_Y6kvvvg=w1052-h789-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Outdoor shop sink. Not like it will freeze :flipoff2:
KBa9A5ACR5E-kUIwV8iWQ=w552-h736-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Internet wheelers shall assume too clean to be working shop, so :flipoff2:
air, 110v, 220v on lift, both sides
7XHIwtDSBR3cJRu-U9fB=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

No spills haha
7G-8x0wS3sLppvkttv6_=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Grinding curtain to keep boat from catching on fire.
s4twulmfC8N3sWjcNcuV2=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

V96Ilv7AU-jGMMGb2vC7=w1920-h865-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

plasma table
euXd1_s-30bYsV7kcs2g=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

latest audio system additions. 3400 W.
AO7vp8wKQ7nxqGH8kBM6g=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

refurbed blast cabinet
JmhvjSn52c3ddpGazjhog=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Finger break and stand
qyMStMDrlqJCSoV5LIp8g=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
man I need a grinding curtain. :laughing:

How much did the electrical and air set you back not counting the compressor?

I don't remember exactly, and since I did it all twice, twice what it could have been.:laughing:
also 2016 dollars not the ones today worth half as much.

$600-ish in lighting
Maybe another $800 wire/panels/receptacle/boxes/conduit/beer

Compressor I've had since 1998, guessing $1000 today. 100' Blk pipe, fitting/regs/filter/reels/hoses 6-700?

Total cost of phase 1 dried in was about $37 sq/ft. Phase 2 with A/C finished interior, 50/sqft. Then there was some tools.....

Material rack. Would not do it this way again.

Any reasons why? I've got some of my materials stored that way. Seems to work well for lighter stuff.

Bare metal finish doors.

Tube steel? Or something else?

Installed my own HVAC, Dual 18k mini's

I see those are Daikin. Did you have a hookup to get them? Other than charging the system, it's not like it's rocket surgery, but I'm not quite sold on the DIY models and would prefer name brand equipment. Getting the equipment for a DIY installation has been an issue for me, though.

Everything looks great! Like gt1guy, my issue was starting to fill the shop as soon as it was enclosed and then trying to go back and do things to organize and such got exponentially more difficult.

Well done Sir. I hate you in a completely jealous way but, well done.:flipoff2:

I had big plans to make my shop really cool. The second the power got turned on, all my awesome plans went right out the window.
Thanks. Same about your blue jeep. :flipoff2:
You have the sickness worse than me, so I feel better about myself reading your posts.

I spent 2 years working my ass off non stop and was burned out by the time the basic structure was done. Then I bought my 72 Ford project truck, but had rest of life to catch up on. Looking back I should have just took a loan and done it all at once. Hire out the insulation, drywall. Grind floor, densifier, ect. Perhaps I am a control freak.

but

I have extreme commitment phobia of even the stupidest shit like where to place each receptacle, how many, which branch, exact spacing, even symmetry. I couldn't commit to HVAC, plumbing or electrical during permit phase. After spending a year or so working in the shop I knew what I wanted and where to put it.

I moved all my shit around so many times, sometimes back in and out of the attached garage. Everything ended up on wheels. What a waste of time and effort, but I am good at that.

Any reasons why? I've got some of my materials stored that way. Seems to work well for lighter stuff.

Tube steel? Or something else?

I see those are Daikin. Did you have a hookup to get them? Other than charging the system, it's not like it's rocket surgery, but I'm not quite sold on the DIY models and would prefer name brand equipment. Getting the equipment for a DIY installation has been an issue for me, though.

Everything looks great! Like gt1guy, my issue was starting to fill the shop as soon as it was enclosed and then trying to go back and do things to organize and such got exponentially more difficult.
I used uni-strut and bolt on brackets to support change/additions, should be most-bestest way? No. What I found is that I needed 100 brackets, and they are a pain to make compared to just welding on one piece. Really need a bracket at every stud at every vertical level to support any length of material.

Door frames are 1x3 rec tube, .063 or so.

Yes, I have a hookup. Got everything at cost. I can walk in to any commercial-only HVAC house and buy what I need under their business. My buddy did leak test and final checkout, I worked on his jeep for trade.

Exponentially more difficult, yes. Patience isn't one of my character traits.

shop isn't big enough:grinpimp:

nice build :beer:
Thanks.
Preaching to the choir. There is no 'big enough' shop. Even if you have two.
then there is reality, money and the CFO.

With many easements, right-of-ways and set-backs I was left with 14' of space. Fail. Drew up plans to make attached addition, not worth the money. Ended up getting easement from county to get +20 ft, for 34' wide. I would choose 40 wide and whatever deep, but this is what I had to work with. Going deeper like 50' didn't seem to add that much value to me. 34' wide is very tight to park 3 across.

An additional dedicated wood working shop would be nice. And another building with 3-4 clean parking spaces. And a shade structure for tractor, boat, campers.

Current status. Gave the HF mill some love, paint job. New age cabinets over the bench.
3J5U55WrYMqb_z3NFgJw=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Can get a door open between trucks but tight.
NdLL4sNyzTcB0dVVS3MA=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Out of space but can move stuff around as needed when lift not in use.
eUSV35SHdwUCkRRMDNWA=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

7 years later landscaping is done. Not a fan of the fake protruding logs, but added to match home.
q8dG1IGDCZwqnx5nGubQ=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Same about your blue jeep. :flipoff2:
You have the sickness worse than me, so I feel better about myself reading your posts.

I spent 2 years working my ass off non stop and was burned out by the time the basic structure was done. Then I bought my 72 Ford project truck, but had rest of life to catch up on. Looking back I should have just took a loan and done it all at once. Hire out the insulation, drywall. Grind floor, densifier, ect. Perhaps I am a control freak.

but

I have extreme commitment phobia of even the stupidest shit like where to place each receptacle, how many, which branch, exact spacing, even symmetry. I couldn't commit to HVAC, plumbing or electrical during permit phase. After spending a year or so working in the shop I knew what I wanted and where to put it.

I moved all my shit around so many times, sometimes back in and out of the attached garage. Everything ended up on wheels. What a waste of time and effort, but I am good at that.

Simply put.......you care and it shows. All your hard work paid off and you have yourself a bad ass shop.

I used uni-strut and bolt on brackets to support change/additions, should be most-bestest way? No. What I found is that I needed 100 brackets, and they are a pain to make compared to just welding on one piece. Really need a bracket at every stud at every vertical level to support any length of material.

Ok. I used a system like this and at first glance thought that was what you had: Amazon.com
I did go every stud and it works reasonably well. A lot sturdier than I was expecting.

Door frames are 1x3 rec tube, .063 or so.

That's beefy for doors! I approve!

Yes, I have a hookup. Got everything at cost. I can walk in to any commercial-only HVAC house and buy what I need under their business. My buddy did leak test and final checkout, I worked on his jeep for trade.

I need to find something along those lines. I know one guy, but not quite well enough and I'm not sure of any common ground for trades.

Exponentially more difficult, yes. Patience isn't one of my character traits.

But well worth it in the end. Looks great!

That is a fine looking shop :smokin:

How tall is your ceiling, and would you go higher if you could've, now that you've been in there for 7 years?

Thanks. Ceiling is 12'. The code here is that an aux building cannot be taller than the home. For the 8k lift, 12' is more than enough. For a 10k lift, it would limit height under lift with trucks/vans. But if you pay to heat/cool, taller is more expensive. I would have gone taller if I could. 16' would support a mezzanine, 12' doors.

Bureaucratic.
To get around height restriction make building attached to home, aka 'addition'.

Some cities/areas have sq ft restrictions also, which would really suck. Work around is usually the same as above.

Added a chassis on wheels and water drain/pump system to plasma table.
suLCW7wkwd2p6jmjb3-Cw=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Made a dimple die for flush bar sink drains.
3PHn_-GTKCFGFDUStEHGA=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Added switched and non switched receptacles for pump and CNC 'puter, and other stuff (blast cab, vac)
rVB-Lm_usrDEMTaWuq7Fw=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Homebrew fluid system. Cheap pump, filter, check valve and one manual valve allow fluid to be drained or pumped back through drain. 15 gallon RV tank to net 13 gallons usable. Fill/drain time is 1.5 min.
9ki1YAJ1fBDXtH40LK_g=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Attachments

• 9ki1YAJ1fBDXtH40LK_g=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
    9ki1YAJ1fBDXtH40LK_g=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 12
  • rVB-Lm_usrDEMTaWuq7Fw=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
    rVB-Lm_usrDEMTaWuq7Fw=w722-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
Such a cool shop and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us all! Anything new to add?

Hopefully your water table stays water tight for longer than mine. After a couple of years the seam between the two halves leaks like a sieve, literally gallons of water per minute pouring on the floor.

Toying with the idea of raising the table rails so I can make a deeper water pan, that has no seam, or converting to an air table with suction to the outside.

Such a cool shop and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us all! Anything new to add?
Thanks. No, not much new. Working IN the shop not ON the shop.
I’m officially jealous!
Thanks. Took a long time to get here.
Hopefully your water table stays water tight for longer than mine. After a couple of years the seam between the two halves leaks like a sieve, literally gallons of water per minute pouring on the floor.

Toying with the idea of raising the table rails so I can make a deeper water pan, that has no seam, or converting to an air table with suction to the outside.
Haha, no it is already leaking. Not too bad, I can fill, cut and drain table without it leaking much. Plan is to weld the center seam. Someday.

Top Back Refresh