What's new

Ratcheting wrenches - what is your preference?

Are there any ratcheting wrenches configured with a fixed box end same size as the ratcheting end? I rarely grab a second wrench to bust the fastener loose instead of abusing the ratcheting end.

Are there any ratcheting wrenches configured with a fixed box end same size as the ratcheting end? I rarely grab a second wrench to bust the fastener loose instead of abusing the ratcheting end.

Look for "double box" ratcheting wrenches. All the big companies seem to make them.

Gearwrench calls them "Gearbox" but everyone else just calls them double box.

1705589646477.png

Gearwrench Straights, bought them in 2001. Still kicking, weekly use.

I have normal and stubby ICON reversible ratcheting wrenches. I have had to warranty 3 of them, overall they feel pretty cheap and crunchy. I won't be buying more.

I have a bunch of Husky non reversible wrenches that are built like tanks and I have never had a issue with them.

Older Gearwrench wrenches seem nicer than the newer versions. I have had Wright tools ratcheting wrenches in my Amazon cart for a couple years but have not pulled the trigger because I have MAC Precision Torque combo wrenches that I really like so I am inclined to try their ratcheting wrenches (I only buy used and wait for good deals).

Blue point angle reversible bought before Snap-On actually made them.

They've never let me down and are supplemented by some straight straight Tekton wrenches.

I found a 10mm reversible flex head in a belly pan, pretty nice to have for a specific front cover job we have.

Older Gearwrench wrenches seem nicer than the newer versions. I have had Wright tools ratcheting wrenches in my Amazon cart for a couple years but have not pulled the trigger because I have MAC Precision Torque combo wrenches that I really like so I am inclined to try their ratcheting wrenches (I only buy used and wait for good deals).
The Mac ratcheting wrenches are my every day wrenches for the last 8-9 years, only ones that have been replaced are ones I've lost and one flex head that the flex got annoyingly loose on. I wouldn't say I'm abusive but I do tend to use stuff to its full capability and they have done well.

Look for "double box" ratcheting wrenches. All the big companies seem to make them.

Gearwrench calls them "Gearbox" but everyone else just calls them double box.

1705589646477.png

Broke the box end on my gearbox GW 18mm today. Grabbed my Matco long double box and it broke loose no drama This is the warranty part in why I said GW, I didn't break the ratchet. I can get it warranted near anywhere though.

gearwrench, specifically the gearbox ones
there are no others that I would even consider

if you're buying combo wrenches you don't want a fat ratcheting end that'll fit nowhere

Broke the box end on my gearbox GW 18mm today. Grabbed my Matco long double box and it broke loose no drama This is the warranty part in why I said GW, I didn't break the ratchet. I can get it warranted near anywhere though.
I've broken the box end on a couple, but mainly because I do really dumb shit with them and they've got nice really thin box ends for good clearance

also the offset of the fixed box end tells you which direction the ratchet end goes, it sticks out in the direction that the bolt is gonna go

I have 3 1/2 year old straight gear wrenches up to 1 1/8" at work. I haven't broken one yet though try and remember not to break things loose with them. They get covered in gold slurry regularly working on pumps at work and haven't locked up yet. I need to order 1 1/4" and 1 5/16", bigger than 1"/ 24mm ratcheting is rather hard to find.

I gound a Duralast under the hood of a car awhile back. It's 4 sizes on 1 wrench, 10mm, 12mm, 13 and 14mm. It's kinda short, you're not breaking much loose with it but it's handy to keep around.

I gound a Duralast under the hood of a car awhile back. It's 4 sizes on 1 wrench, 10mm, 12mm, 13 and 14mm. It's kinda short, you're not breaking much loose with it but it's handy to keep around.
I have that one and the larger version of that (15, 16, 17 and 19 I think?), they live in the bag in my car for junkyard runs.

Aaron Z

I have that one and the larger version of that (15, 16, 17 and 19 I think?), they live in the bag in my car for junkyard runs.

Aaron Z
I have the gear wrench versions - 2 in sae and 2 in metric. The fwd/rev selector broke off one and I think that's the only gear wrench I've broken out of the 50 or so pieces I own.

I have the gear wrench versions - 2 in sae and 2 in metric. The fwd/rev selector broke off one and I think that's the only gear wrench I've broken out of the 50 or so pieces I own.

I'm half tempted to grab some for my trail bag since they are pretty small. I don't think they are a replacement for anything but they are handy AF.

I'm half tempted to grab some for my trail bag since they are pretty small. I don't think they are a replacement for anything but they are handy AF.
Yep, they are great to snug fastners down (or get into tight spaces), but I wouldn't use them to break something loose.

Aaron Z

I usually have them in my junk yard picking bag, which doubles as one of my trail bags. Both of which I try to keep as light as possible so a wrench that weighs a little more than a single wrench but serves as 4 is a good fit. But you'll run in a a lot of places where they just don't fit.

I usually have them in my junk yard picking bag, which doubles as one of my trail bags. Both of which I try to keep as light as possible so a wrench that weighs a little more than a single wrench but serves as 4 is a good fit. But you'll run in a a lot of places where they just don't fit.

Found em for $29 with a bunch of driver bits so I grabbed some for the trail rig tool roll.

Snap On is the best, best if you don't wrench for a living probably anything with a lifetime warranty. No warranty no deal.

Question for the group! I have a 10 year old set of Gear Wrench, metric wrenches. They have a step on one side of the ratcheting end, so they only go on one way, and then stop. Makes it so the wrench doesnt slide down the bolt/off the nut. Anyone know the term for this feature?
Ive wanted to pick up a set of standard ones, but never been able to find the key word for said feature...and in turn never found how to search out a set!

Question for the group! I have a 10 year old set of Gear Wrench, metric wrenches. They have a step on one side of the ratcheting end, so they only go on one way, and then stop. Makes it so the wrench doesnt slide down the bolt/off the nut. Anyone know the term for this feature?
Ive wanted to pick up a set of standard ones, but never been able to find the key word for said feature...and in turn never found how to search out a set!

Shallow broach is the term for sockets

Top Back Refresh