What's new

Ratcheting wrenches - what is your preference?

threadkiller

Member Number
Loc
Santa Rosa
I'm needing a new set of ratcheting wrenches. GearWrench, Tekton, or Icon. Thinking I want the flex head, but might be better off with offset. If you had to choose, which one would pick?

Harbor Freight.

Ratcheting wrenches are a speed tool. You'll never use them to break the real tough shit loose so you don't need the quality fit and strength that you (sometimes) get by spending more.

I bought some gearwreches for black Friday and they seem cheaper then I remember them being. Is it me or does anyone else notice that they have a bulbous open end part on most ratcheting wrenches?

I’ve got some jeager ones off Amazon. They were fairly inexpensive and they work well

JAEGER 24pc IN/MM TIGHTSPOT Ratcheting Wrench Set - MASTER SET Including Inch & Metric With Quick Access Wrench Organizer - Our standard in combination wrench sets from gear to tip Amazon.com

Been runnin gearwrench, loacal place had them for decent price . They work but sure arent anything to brag about

Brought a set of flex head gear wrenches around the time they first came out. Collision shop. I have replaced the 10, 12, and 13 a dozen times each over the years, but they have held up better than expected.

I have mastercraft which were OEM'd by Gearwrench back in the day...they've been fine. I have flex and solid. If I were buying again I'd be doing solid offset reversible. The flex are rarely more useful but the solid sometimes run into something flush. Reversible because you have to think ahead to make sure you don't back yourself into a corner.

I bought some gearwreches for black Friday and they seem cheaper then I remember them being. Is it me or does anyone else notice that they have a bulbous open end part on most ratcheting wrenches?

Yeah, I bought a set back in 2019 and noticed that. Significantly more bulky than my Armstrong wrenches.

I don’t think I agree with the above assessment on cheap ones. My Armstrong wrenches get all the use. My gear wrenches stay in the box.

I'd buy flex if I had to only have one set. I keep a set of flex heads and a set of reversible offsets in my cart at work, there are some times where the flex works against you.

These are an excellent addition to your tool box, not a replacement for normal length ratchet wrenches but I beat the shit out of these in a professional environment with pretty minimal breakage considering all the dumb shit I do to them.

I'd buy flex if I had to only have one set. I keep a set of flex heads and a set of reversible offsets in my cart at work, there are some times where the flex works against you.

These are an excellent addition to your tool box, not a replacement for normal length ratchet wrenches but I beat the shit out of these in a professional environment with pretty minimal breakage considering all the dumb shit I do to them.

What's with the 18-18:confused:

I Have gear wrench in flat, offset reverse, and flex head, and use the flat versions the most. That could be because I bought them first and became comfortable with them - and they are in my main box. The others are in tool bags in trucks - but I haven't wanted to swap them out.

I have just about every flavor of gear wrench they made....but they're close to 20 years old now. Never had a problem with them and I think I've only broken one...and it was the goofy 4-way reversible one. I've heard a lot of complaints about the newer stuff so I'm guessing quality went down. I'd probably go with the mid-line ones at HF if I were buying today.

I've got a set of standard length Gearwrench that I have had for 20+ yrs. Only broke the 14mm once. Love them and they were the first tools I ever bought. Later bought a set of swivel head, not my cup of tea and are rarely used. I bought a set of standard Husky a few years ago and the heads on the ratcheting side are larger and get in the way often. Always seemed like Gearwrench had the smallest form factor, but I have not shopped in a while.

I've been buying Joker ones, I like the rachet on them. Have a few gearwrenches as well but they are more bulky. And also have broke several. No breaks on the Jokers yet.

Mine are straights, never messed with flex stuff. Maybe should get a set.

I've had primarily gearwrench for years and years. Any more if I need another one I just buy whatever I come across first.

If I was buying a set today I would probably buy one of the Taiwanese ones like mountain or Icon. 99% of my use is straight wrenches but I have the flex heads as an in case.

I can give a shit what wrench it is, just want it to work
I have the actual Craftman wrenches that I have been using for 30+ years now

(the new Craftman ones are not as good)

Gear Wrench flex ends. Have had them for about 20 years. Have worn out maybe 2 wrenches in that time, 1/2" and 9/16".

I have 2 sets, the older ones are normal, newer ones are huge, to the point of often not usable on stuff like hydraulic fittings.

OG craftsman are my go to ratchet wrenches. Bought them 25+ years ago and haven't broke one yet. But, I'm not abusive towards them either. That's saved for my regular wrenches.

Lowes kobalt is garbage.

Purchased a Pittsburgh 3/8 at harbor freight for a throw away job. It's honestly my go to ratchet and works great. This is working in places that destroys tools, not your normal automotive type of work

You should start doing tool review's on youtube too. You sound qualified

I bet they's shiny an not a scratch on em:flipoff2:
I wish they were still shiny. :flipoff2:

Couple of em give me fits to switch direction cause the little lever dealio gets hung up now though.

Don't be a mongoloid with yer tools and clean em when you're done and they'll last longer. Learned that from old school heavy equipment mechanics I worked under when I was a lad.

Many tools will last longer if non impact sockets are not used as impact sockets.Keep tools cleaned up.I remember in my teen years guys I knew would grunge up sockets and they would barely work on a bolt without going cockeyed.Never cleaned their tools,leave them out in the yard.Then want to borrow mine when they lose them.Nope.No way.

Top Back Refresh