What's new

RamCharger steering upgrade...

RedNeckRea

nothing to see here
Member Number
Loc
Ontario, CA
I'm really trying to avoid the "other" site in order to prevent giving them any ad revenue.

"search newb!" doesn't really work here because we haven't been around long enough. any thoughts to starting irate "FAQs"?

the search on ramchargercentral brings the suck because I haven't figured out a way to search specific subforums.

want to dump the stock push-pull steering on the front d44. plan is to go cross over and hydraulic assist. hoping to find parts list, suppliers, do and dont, etc. then once I get everything I need I can come back here and do a detailed write up.

who has a good reference saved for me to read?

https://ramchargercentral.com/articles/?cat=2

Several tech articles on RCC, but I agree the site navigation is different. I followed the homemade hydro assist article when I did mine, but I broke a fitting off the box wheeling and went with the end cap from DIY4x and drilled and tapped the top cap when I swapped out the box https://diy4x.com/product.php?produc...cat=249&page=2

Duane

if I had been able to find that list of articles I'm not sure I would have even posted here 🤣

my gut was to go with ORD for the crossover steering parts and then Redneck Ram for the hydro assist. unless I can get talked into other companies because of reputation or $$$ hopefully I'll be able to come back and update with the installs before my thanksgiving run.

dodge connection steering box brace is good to add also it will help from the frame cracking and stiffen it up.

Jungle on RCC also sells a nice brace kit as well as a kit to box the frame at the steering box for added strength.

dodge connection steering box brace is good to add also it will help from the frame cracking and stiffen it up.

Jungle on RCC also sells a nice brace kit as well as a kit to box the frame at the steering box for added strength.

The PO of the rig boxed the frame from basically the front shock mounts back to the rear axle. I'll have to look into adding the bracing/boxing to the steering portion as well. Thanks for the tips!

How effective is adding a borgeson shaft with the ujoints at both ends at taking some of the play out of the steering? Victim I’m messing with is a 93 Cummins 3/4 4x4 with 440k miles.

I've always found the slop to come farther down stream than the rag joint. Usually replacing the coupler on the steering box with a u joint and making sure the box mounting isn't loose or cracked has helped the most with my trucks.

Duane

That coupler seems to have a ton of play in it. The rag joint was torn when I took it off. New shaft sitting here. Problem is the rest of the truck is falling apart around it. But it’s an old man’s truck, and he plans to die before buying another truck.

The Borgeson is way to fix the sloppy factory joint. The rag joint is fine for 99% of owners, if it's shot, replace it. The two U-joint version will only work with certain columns, mostly tilt columns, that have a splined, removable flange for the rag joint. Most columns have the flange welded so a bit of fab would be needed to use the two U-joint version.

This truck had the removable end for the rag joint. I ended up having to cut the shaft down maybe 2-3 inches, I didn’t measure, just marked it. It basically has all the cab mounts collapsed so my thinking is that everything has sagged down. It seems to have helped with the play in the steering, but there were no miracles performed. This particular truck spends most of its time idling around at 15 mph with the air on full blast and farmer talk radio cranked to the max.

Top Back Refresh