What's new

Project: Midnight Panic

Damn Tacoma is close to home for me.

And wheels. Tell me more. I assume you made them. I have been going back and fourth on making a set for my F450.... I can get the barrels and have centers laser cut, but how hard is it really to get them 100% true, not warped and are they hub centric? I am worried laser may not be quite good enough for hub centric wheels.

what the specs on the trailer? That looks awesome. Did it start out as a moving van trailer and get converted to RV?
It's 48ft long, 102" wide, It was built by Competition Trailers out of Texas, (I'm not sure if it started out as a production trailer, then converted, or ordered as a blank slate double drop, & then built)
Bitchen looking trailer. How's the inside set up?
Inside is a double deck setup, (stacker for more than one car) obviously that won't work for me, so the lift gate & 20ft of the upper deck will be removed, From the side doors forward there are stainless top work benches with drawers under them, then overhead cabinets above,
Everything above the kingpin is lounge area, along with a toilet & full size shower,
I plan on taking what's left of the upper deck (12 ft or so) & making that the bedroom area,
And wheels. Tell me more. I assume you made them. I have been going back and fourth on making a set for my F450.... I can get the barrels and have centers laser cut, but how hard is it really to get them 100% true, not warped and are they hub centric? I am worried laser may not be quite good enough for hub centric wheels.

I think you would be fine with a quality laser cut center & hub centric, as far as running true, I've found working from a flat surface, & having a handful of spacers the same length to hold the center at the correct backspace makes it pretty easy, a few tacks & a guy can use the truck jacked up on one corner to check runout,

I think you would be fine with a quality laser cut center & hub centric, as far as running true, I've found working from a flat surface, & having a handful of spacers the same length to hold the center at the correct backspace makes it pretty easy, a few tacks & a guy can use the truck jacked up on one corner to check runout,
Thanks. Thoughts on using them on DD type vehicle and killing busses of nuns? Its a 15k F450.

Well, you can buy factory ones made in Indonesia,
Or you can take your time, be patient, & build a nice set,

I've built a few sets of wheels, I would not have an issue running them down the road, & causing an accident would not be a concern,

If in doubt, over build them.

Well, you can buy factory ones made in Indonesia,
Or you can take your time, be patient, & build a nice set,

I've built a few sets of wheels, I would not have an issue running them down the road, & causing an accident would not be a concern,

If in doubt, over build them.
No factory ones in the size I want :lmao:

Thanks tho. Appreciate the input

Any updates?
Unfortunately no, I haven't done a thing on this project, The new trailer turned out to be way more of a job than I had planned, so far it has ate up most of my summer, & I'm not even close to having it ready.

I cut most of the second level out of the trailer, removed all of the lift gate assembly, replaced the messed up door header, & notched the rear structure of the trailer enough that an Axletech rig will now fit through the doorway, then I used a combination of new, 2"x3"x .188" wall rectangular, 2"x2"x.120 wall tubing, & some of the 2"x3"removed from the upper level to build a new door frame,

IMG_3120.jpg

While the new door frame was out for powder coat I stripped all the original flooring, inner fenders, & access panels out of the back. extended the inner fenders forward so that my longer wheel base rigs would fit on the hauling surface, added more structure for hauling the heavier rigs, & then used the 3/16" aluminum removed from the upper level to build new floor plates & access panels,
IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

Next I dropped off all the new panels & picked up the door frame. Then the wife & kiddo came down for a few hours one morning & helped with a little painting,
IMG_3206.JPG

Part way through the process,
IMG_3207.JPG

The new floor plates/panels were coated with a non-skid/grip coating, & once they were done they were either riveted, or bolted into place depending on location, (a couple panels are removable for access to suspension, brake parts, or air tanks)

The door frame was brought in & after a little over 200 rivets had a new exterior skin installed,
IMG_3192.jpg

The door was then flipped over & insulated,
IMG_3195.jpg

The center portion of the door was recessed by using 2"x2" tubing, the reason for this was so I could use 3/4" plywood where the door will not be driven on,
After the plywood was cut & fit, it got a liberal coating of bed liner, & bolted into place,
IMG_3205.jpg

The outside edged of the door will get aluminum tread plate repurposed from the original lift gate, once I get the parts cut,

Next up will be completely re-wiring all the AC & DC power throughout the trailer, moving a couple cabinets around, re-insulating, & skinning the inside of the trailer where you can see I have it stripped out. Then on to reworking the lounge area & bathroom, along with building a bedroom on what's left of the second level,

So in short, I doubt I'll get to work on the truck project much before winter time,
I guess at least when I do get back to it, I will have a trailer that can haul it.
IMG_3194.jpg

Yup, this is like a written version of Binky/Escargot with :usa:toys.

Great work, always excited for updates. In for a trailer threat too.

This thread delivers pretty good if you just need a Leroy fix.

This thread delivers pretty good if you just need a Leroy fix.

You don't think we know about that? lol

Top Back Refresh