What's new

Project Duke - 72 J4700

lpukas2

Maintains those stupid things that fly
Member Number
Loc
Vail, AZ
I am going to try my hand at a build thread. Unfortunate its nothing crazy, just a resto mod. I've been on this site and the old site for a bit and have done everything but body work, so this could be interesting. Wife is currently going back to school so progress maybe slow. Lots of time on my hand but low on funds...... Wife is all into this one and is the one that named it Duke.

I am a Jeep person, own a built TJ minus a decent engine and had a YJ back in High School. So during covid while in-between houses and living in a shit apartment. I found a 2012 5.7 hemi in PHX with everything and I mean everything to drop it in my TJ minus the engine management. Fast forward to 2021, I found myself not wanting to touch my TJ anymore, I craved a new project. I found this 1972 J4700 in PHX around the beginning of 2022 and said fuck it.

So here is where we begin..............

Have to start with the plans right! Goal is a daily driver that is easy to work on and capable. Small lift with 33s?, wife doesn't want another big vehicle and wants to keep it looking like a farm truck. Took a month to talk her into the drive train swap.

Eagle head 5.7 hemi - bump it up to around 450HP with MDS delete, cam, lifters, intake (6.4 with injectors), exhaust, and tune. Plan on running the Holly Terminator X.

Dodge NV4500

NP205

Dodge Dana 44 front for open knuckle and disk brakes on hand, swap 4.10 gear set from closed knuckle 44. Swap out to manual lock outs.

Dana 60 SF rear, 410 gears (factory), clean up and throw in a limited slip

Swap out front springs to post 74 J20 and move them under the frame to level the front, they don't make springs for pre 74 any longer.

Try and keep the 3/4 ton rear springs if I can get bushings for them

Learn how to do body work :smokin: - repaint to factory color code

Original plans was to get it driving. Changed out some fluids, rebuild the steering box, and started digging into the wiring. The dana 60 looked good and the T18 had some metal but over all not bad for 50 years of abuse. Drove it around and found that something is up with the clutch, throw out bearing? It sat for 6 months and when I finally went to move it into the garage found the fuel pump was shot after all the fuel evaporated in the AZ summer. Swapped pumps and got it into the garage minus the bed I pulled off. Speaking of the bad clutch, my driveway is steep and proceeded to fish tail all they way up it due to the clutch.

So here is the photo dump leading up to tonight. Started with removing a BS aux tank and a massive farmers trailer hitch off it. Gutted the doors, the first one took a bit to figure out how the glass and small window came out. The truck is from NM and I could have filled a sandbox full of the red dirt that fell out of it. Plan on having the whole thing blasted to see how bad and how far the cancer goes.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • SZBT4291.JPG
    SZBT4291.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Weekly update..... Frame is down to the drive train and cab is stripped.

I fucked up on the stand for the cab, didn't make it so the engine hoist could go under it and its too tall:mad3:. Luckily it was just made out of scape I had laying around.

Got my bead blast cabinet up and running.

First order of business is figuring out how to media blast the cab. Buddy gave me a small pressure pot set up but that will take forever.

What gas tank to run, I want an in tank pump

Find front springs and start locating the dodge 44

Find a 02 down TJ or any XJ power steering box

Clean up the frame and start on the frame boxing

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

Friday update...... haven't done shit.

After I got it pulled apart my thoughts went in too many directions. So first order of business is the drivetrain mock up, front axle and spring relocations. Going to ignore the cab for the time being. For the life of me I cannot locate used 74+ J20 front springs for mock up:shaking:

On another note.

Scored a 97 Dodge NV4500 and should have a 205 shortly. I was originally looking for a Dana 300 and those are fucking hard to find now days.

I remember building my TJ and getting half the parts used off the old site, cant find crap nowadays or maybe its just Az.

Top Back Refresh