What's new

Pro boxing organization announces transgender category

It's in a sad state. I think the talent is there, but how do you revive it in a way to bring in the money again to retain the young guys without ending up like the WWF, still a shell of its former self by a long shot
Market the young fighters. The old dinosaur promoters knew their years were numbered so they quit caring about building up the next generation of boxers. Just ride the current crop into the ground and milk every last dime out of them. Well, the dimes have been milked.

People thought for years that they just needed a relevant, exciting HW again. Well, enter Wilder and Fury. Still didn't receive the sport.

I've always been a big MMA fan but that's kinda dumb to be honest. There's still a lot more money in boxing. The UFC's pay structure is fucked. Very little of the revenue is going to the fighters.
Yes, I'm thinking from a popularity standpoint not $$$. A dumb 19yr old is gonna steer towards the in thing. I can think of 20 friends off the top of my head that watch UFC. One that watches boxing.

Yes, I'm thinking from a popularity standpoint not $$$. A dumb 19yr old is gonna steer towards the in thing. I can think of 20 friends off the top of my head that watch UFC. One that watches boxing.
True. They need to expand the Ali Act to include MMA.

I gotta say though, the Spencer Fisher situation has cooled my MMA fandom considerably. Always loved that dude. Exciting fighter and about the only elite fighter from my neck of the woods. I think we all know what can happen with head trauma and fighters but it still doesn't truly set in until it happens to a guy you actually followed. Here was a small town nobody kid who actually made it to the big leagues and now he's flat broke and brain damaged because he never really made any real money and watching him admit that everyone was right when they told him he'd end up broken physically and financially when he decided to go into fighting was just heart breaking. He proved everyone wrong. He made it. But because of the pay structure of the sport he really didn't.

Agreed. There is a stupendous amount of $$$ floating around in it, and unfortunately only some of it goes to the top 1% of fighters.

Top Back Refresh