What's new

POS rebuilt jeep

atoz2

Member Number
I wanted to document my trials and tribulations in rebuilding a jeep someone built a while back and some idiot got it in between and threw on every bolt on part imaginable incorrectly. I bought it because it had a 4.3 and 7004r. My 1 ton explorer is a manual, I wanted an auto so the wife could drive more and something a bit lighter and simpler. I love my explorer but it just wasn't as "grab and go" for short local runs and was maybe a little bored :cool2:

How I received it. OG owner did the 4.3 swap. Looks like a newer truck vortec block with an older 700r4 because computers were hard at some point.:beer:
j1.jpg

j2.jpg

Cage doesn't look bolt on.

I have one I am unfucking now. Carb'd 350, 700R4 and 231, 8.8 rear, 30 front.

They put the 8.8 in with a centered shaft, which means that they needed a spacer on one to center the wheels. They couldn't figure out the shifter or the cable for the trans, so they butchered it. Wiring was a mess, ripped out the dash for a CJ and then then couldn't figure out a lot.

I'd say you're lucky. :flipoff2:

Cage doesn't look bolt on.

I have one I am unfucking now. Carb'd 350, 700R4 and 231, 8.8 rear, 30 front.

They put the 8.8 in with a centered shaft, which means that they needed a spacer on one to center the wheels. They couldn't figure out the shifter or the cable for the trans, so they butchered it. Wiring was a mess, ripped out the dash for a CJ and then then couldn't figure out a lot.

I'd say you're lucky. :flipoff2:
It isn't terrible cage is bolted in. Also not tied to the frame! I will update this hopefully today. I've got my 8274 on it and swapped in some axles with air lockers!

Current long-term plan

Eventually I'd like to throw toyota axles under this. Mostly because I have never messed with them.

Ohh fun. Reminds me of my basket case I'm rebuilding now.

As I had never had a jeep before I decided to wheel it as is, open difs and Treps.
I already had a set of YJ axles with ARBs from a deal I made a while back. I was really impressed with where leaf springs and some gearing got me.
Was also loving the automatic, was completely new territory for me.
uqxu003a.png

j4.jpg

j6.jpg

j5.jpg

I quickly found out my harsh ride was the almost solid sidewall of the tires. I could airdown with little to no sidewall bulge. these were not going to work for snow wheeling.

I opted for a classic look. some AR outlaws15x10 and 35x12.5r15 Nexen Rodians.
j7.png

Last edited:
Not a whole lot to update!

Wife XJ decided to split on the radiator tanks. If it wasn't so clean, I would be upset, about 97k miles on the 99:flipoff2:.
j1.1.jpg

j2.2.jpg

3.3.jpg

I picked up a toy 4.56 rear axle from a buddy who said it was good. well turns out he is full of shit.:mad3:
t1.jpg

But on a plus not a local was selling a 8" toy ARB for $300. So overall I will say I ended up pretty even.:stirthepot:

t2.jpg

picking up a NP 241C locally for about $100. opens my options can run passenger differential if I want.

Might be just the persuasion I need for a Toyota front. but I am having no luck finding anything for less then $800-1k for a stock front.

Buddy has some late 70s power wagon axles I could have. so choices are available. With The toyota axles I could pretty much weld on some perches and be rocking. also prefer to regear toy axles. so we will see! :smokin:

Guy with the Chevrolet t-case bailed on me.

I did however get another 4.56 3rd for $50.

third.jpg

A little crusty but usable. although I did get an offer to trade these 3rds for some 4cyl thirds and a complete solid front with high steer. so that might be the move! if that is the case might order a housing and get this Toyota - jeep - Chevy turd going.

Somewhere in between grabbing that Third and getting out in the Snow I rebuilt the rear brakes on the d35. I did not want to throw any money at it. But I realized my crappy brakes were seized rear wheel cylinders and wasn't okay with how sketchy it was. So, it stops now pretty decent although pedal feel still sucks. I am thinking it is the master cylinder. :shaking:

Also the weekend before my planned Snow wheeling trip My jeep wouldn't start in the cold. A new Fuel pump later and it was like a new machine. I was dealing with some weird issues this past summer of the jeep randomly dying and restarting after a second, I am hoping this was the issue I couldn't find. I had checked pressure in the past and it was always good.

The jeep did great for snow wheeling, Broke some trail for a while even with the 2nd smallest tires in the Group. Nexen's aired down great! and air lockers were kinda a game changer I had always had autolockers in the past. By the end of the day everyone was really impressed with the simple YJ!

t12.png

t13.jpg

Older Guy Brought His Jeep he built about 25 years ago and wheeled, I think with the Timber Tamers, its about the same as the day he finished it.
He was having some air locker issues and eventually shredding a belt and lost power steering.
t14.jpg

He eventually ended up getting sucked over, I wish I got pictures before we started winching. he was almost going over.

t15.jpg

Overall the jeep is shaping up to be what I was wanting. Small Tire light simple rig. something a bit more comfortable on road than my explorer.

I ended up with a set of front chromoly axles for $225. So I think my plans are to push forward with the 30 front. Weight seems to be a game changer for the snow. might find a way to get a bit more low range, swap in the toy rear and put 37s on it for the snow and pray.

We will see where it goes!:lmao:

Top Back Refresh