What's new

polishing a turd... putting steering system from radial dynamics on my buggy

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
so i decided to upgrade to double ended ram this winter and i am also tired of slow steering. or no power to move my tires. that lead me on a search for a good pump to move fluid. then that lead me down the path of research, of course there are a bunch but one just stood out from the rest. radial dynamics did. placed a call and explained what i wanted to accomplish and future needs would be possible 14 bolt steer axle for the rear. with everything he set me up with i can do front and rear all off this system. i saw his vids of buggys doing exactly that.

i also decided on hydroboost brakes.. all this ties in together as one upgrade, weird how that works....

got the firs pile of parts last night. holly cow so much bling i am gonna need a huge gold chain to do it justice. even sent a dyno vid of the pump. omg....

first thing was mount ram, thats done... ok next i took off old power booster and made the mount for hydro boost. fairly strait forward. needed a heat shield because it is close to exhaust.

and i needed to make a bushing for the hydro boost rod end que solid works and 3d printer. no clue if it will hold up to the forces but will give it go...

once i get the parts all sorted out and mounted it is going to be a mother f er of a time planning out fitting and lines. partially because some run will be so short and others may have two 90s or more in them .

i will get some over head pics tonight so we can see what i am up against here.

1709043893507.png

1709044274599.png

1709044302801.png

1709043933000.png

of course this bar blocks the rear brake fitting so it had to go

1709043992038.png

1709044029725.png

this is where i am at.

res and cooler showed up last night. cooler is amazing.
1709044121914.png

1709044145603.png

1709044171946.png

RD makes incredibly nice stuff..... Saving pennies for a couple of their reservoirs now.

You're gonna need to port this hydroboost my friend :)

do explain
The hydroboost units need to be modified in order to accept the high flow from a modified pump.
If not you're running the risk of overheating your fluid and starting various problems.

calling busted knuckle. turns out they list a ported one on their web site. hmmmm
It's just money :barf: :lmao:

Also, make sure the pedal doesn't put any side load on the piston or you're gonna have a bad time.

pedal was strait in and out from what i could tell.

and your right its only money and i exchanged said money for smiles and frustration.... lol lol witch should be here this weekend. ahhahh

Do as much as you can in hard line with swept bends. Avoid the cast fittings at all cost. Factory lines are cheap...

soi got my busted knuckle ported hydro boost. here are a few comparison photos

i dont know what is all done inside but the out side is alot bigger fittings and port opening

and i suck with the mic......

1709296025298.png

1709296050485.png

1709296078850.png

1709296151378.png

so this weekend i got it all done. everything works amazing. need to run for a little bit longer and double check all fitting and look for leaks.

it was a head scratcher for a little while trying to package all of this. i am still on the fence about moving my filter mount down below the side bar but there is such a short distance the hose routing could be a mother f er....
res mounted and thats a 3/4 inch feed line to the pump.

that one hose had to be routed kinda goofy because it too short of run from hydro boost to orbital.

i use -8 from pump to HB and from HB to ORB the -10 to filter,-10 to cooler and back to res all -10.
1710157535319.png

1710157702708.png
1710158760407.png

1710158796531.png

That's awesome! I'm itching to get mine installed, I have a box from surplus center and a few from Amazon with all my hoses and shit coming this week!

based on my reading/understanding when you clamp the hose you deform the hose causing the barb to not properly engage with the hose as designed leaded to a reduce pressure rating.

in chaplinfj60 case i doubt he is using pushlock hose, since it has a braided exterior.

Last edited:
based on my reading/understanding when you clamp the hose you deform the hose causing the barb to not properly engage with the hose as designed leaded to a reduce pressure rating.

in chaplinfj60 case i doubt he is using pushlock hose, since it has a braided exterior.
Interesting. I guess we will see what happens. I have a bunch of spare hose if it fails.

first trip in the books with the new steering system... absolute worth it. steering issues were not a problem. several times i would stop and put my hand on the cooler and sure the cooler was hot but i could still put my hand on the cooler with out a glove and hold it there, so hot but no where near scolding hot. that made me crazy happy. quick and flawless steering also. made a huge difference in my ability to pick a line and drive that line without without having to stop and let steering catch up and keep up good rhythm of moving forward. awesome for sure:beer:

Top Back Refresh