What's new

Police shoot Iowa woman dead in front of son - settlement releases video

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Sharing video for civic duty poiposes:

BURLINGTON, IA - A woman accidentally shot to death in front of her toddler by a Burlington police officer — in a scene caught on video that remains hidden from the public — will be paid $2 million as part of a wrongful death settlement that alleged a cover-up. Autumn Steele, 34, was fatally shot in January 2015 by Officer Jesse Hill, who had been responding to a domestic disturbance and said he had fired his gun in part to fend off an attacking dog. Burlington Police, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the Des Moines County Attorney have refused to release more than a 12-second clip of the footage captured on Hill’s body camera during the shooting.

The family and the Burlington Hawkeye newspaper have fought for more than three years for the public release of the full video in a separate and ongoing case before the Iowa Public Information Board. The full video — part of sealed evidence in the wrongful-death case — does not corroborate Hill’s account in his police report that he was bitten by the dog before firing the shot, Dave O’Brien, a Cedar Rapids attorney who represents the Steele family, said during a hearing last month. The settlement was announced June 6, but the amount had not been made public. O’Brien released a statement Monday morning revealing the dollar figure. O’Brien noted standard language in the settlement denying any wrongful conduct.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_49966.jpg Views:	3 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	325053
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

vid is gone.

I cant read, never mind.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
:rolleyes:Uh, not technically poor anymore

I've got the dinner table in hell set and waiting for all you dicks to get here:flipoff2:

Well, the ironic thing is that there's a chance that kid may actually paying for it out of his taxes. :homer:

Wow. I wouldnt wish that on anyone, either for the kid or the cop. That said rules of firearms always apply. Know your taret and whats beyond. The dog wasnt that huge, and to go guns drawn with a partner, woman and child running around seems really foolish. Shame for all involved.

Reactions: DMG
I watched the video when the incident first happened. It certainly was unfortunate. It was an accident. Feel bad for everyone involved. Not as much for the cop now if he really lied about it.

But same old story, always best if the cops don't get involved.

Reactions: DMG
Wow. I wouldnt wish that on anyone, either for the kid or the cop. That said rules of firearms always apply. Know your taret and whats beyond. The dog wasnt that huge, and to go guns drawn with a partner, woman and child running around seems really foolish. Shame for all involved.

Why are cops such pussies? Mail men don't carry guns.

I watched the video when the incident first happened. It certainly was unfortunate. It was an accident. Feel bad for everyone involved. Not as much for the cop now if he really lied about it.

Is that the one where the cop is trying to shoot a dog and hits the woman?

If so, how can that be an accident? If you're alone in the woods and a dog attacks, sure blast away, it might save you some lacerations and if you miss, meh. If you have people around, the risk/reward for blasting away sure changes.

he pulled the trigger,more than once, that's not an accidental discharge.

I would like to see the video from the previous minute to where they started it.

It was said somewhere else before. If the rules of engagement applied to cops the same as it did soldiers, police shootings would go way down.

Settlements, insurance and fines should come from the police salary budget. That way there is some sort of Pay for play.

Imagine if you negligently shot someone in the act of trying to kill a dog... you'd get man slaughter, negligent homicide, become a felon, and be bubba's fuck toy for at least 3 years... all the while losing your 2nd amendment rights and voting rights as well:homer:But this cop walks and gets a pass with the fact that they're not putting any blame on him whatsoever

Imagine if you negligently shot someone in the act of trying to kill a dog... you'd get man slaughter, negligent homicide, become a felon, and be bubba's fuck toy for at least 3 years... all the while losing your 2nd amendment rights and voting rights as well:homer:But this cop walks and gets a pass with the fact that they're not putting any blame on him whatsoever

Not to mention animal cruelty for trying to shoot a fucking dog.

are we just supposed to accept that cops can shoot our pets anytime they feel like it? Because that's his fucking defense.

Not to mention animal cruelty for trying to shoot a fucking dog.

are we just supposed to accept that cops can shoot our pets anytime they feel like it? Because that's his fucking defense.

ohh oooh i have one, how about a child endangerment charge for discharging your firearm in his central direction

2 sets of rules, hell maybe even 3 sets of rules.

Well, the ironic thing is that there's a chance that kid may actually paying for it out of his taxes. :homer:

Depending on how the settlement was written and how its invested for him he may not ever have to pay taxes on it.

Depending on how the settlement was written and how its invested for him he may not ever have to pay taxes on it.

I was referring the $2mil settlement being paid through the police capital fund, which is raised through property taxes. People seem to forget where the settlement money comes from. Its not the guy that pulled the trigger's wallet.

It is the lying by the cops and the prosecutor that makes it rotten. It was a terrible thing, but an accident. The guy should not be a cop, and they should have handled the call differently. If everyone had told the truth, there may have been a trial for something (involuntary manslaughter or whatever, I'm not a lawyer) and the facts could have been measured by a jury... She was way out of control, but did not deserve a death sentence for it. It is bad all around.. and, after taxes and paying the lawyers, they'll net 500K. I guess that is a resolution... but, it is funny how the taxpayers always get the bill for fuckups.

Yup. Ive always felt that all LEOs should go through some kind dog encounter or dog attack training. Ive dealt with all kinds of dog issues while working and only once even thought about possibly having to shoot a dog. The worst case was I had to wack a pit with a baton and that learned him real quick. He hauled ass back faster than he came charging at me

Last edited:
It is the lying by the cops and the prosecutor that makes it rotten. It was a terrible thing, but an accident. The guy should not be a cop, and they should have handled the call differently. If everyone had told the truth, there may have been a trial for something (involuntary manslaughter or whatever, I'm not a lawyer) and the facts could have been measured by a jury... She was way out of control, but did not deserve a death sentence for it. It is bad all around.. and, after taxes and paying the lawyers, they'll net 500K. I guess that is a resolution... but, it is funny how the taxpayers always get the bill for fuckups.

Where did you see anything with a woman "out of control?"

500k? No, a life for a life. The piece of shit badge needs to pay out of pocket, every thing he owns, everything his kids own, everything his wife owns now goes to the family he destroyed. Maybe then these pigs will start to learn that actions have very fucking real consequences.

Reactions: PAE
Where did you see anything with a woman "out of control?"

500k? No, a life for a life. The piece of shit badge needs to pay out of pocket, every thing he owns, everything his kids own, everything his wife owns now goes to the family he destroyed. Maybe then these pigs will start to learn that actions have very fucking real consequences.

Two weeks administrative leave.

With pay.

edit: ooh, ooh. then a year later apply for assistance or whatever because of the PTSD shooting the innocent mother in front of her child has caused you.

Top Back Refresh