What's new

point to point network, i need internet in my shop

My way is old school but rock solid.

Direct burial cat6 cable from router in house to shop.
Use this $60 Indoor EAP225 in the shop and the $69 outdoor EAP 225 on the back porch of the house if coverage in the area between is desired.

I turn off the wi-fi in my router and only use the indoor EAP225's one in the front of the house and one on the back porch and one indoor in the shop.

With this wired backbone I have full 2 acre coverage for not much cash and a wired backbone that is solid.

almost been a month and i love it, works like a charm, i now have a camera out there that i check any time i want and watch live feed or motion events. freaking awesome

I can just get signal on my laptop in my barn but my chromecast connected to my tv wont, so i have been using my laptop as a hotspot to connect the tv to but i wonder if this method is too overkill for me. glad its working well for you.

once the kid and I geeked out on for a bit it was simple. i even have security camera in there now that i can access anytime. too darn cool

I have a bridge and it transmits to my guest house about 300’ away. I need to get one to my shop.
its freaking game changer, i just ordered a cheap tv that i can hook up to the internet and now i will be able to access youtube while i work

I'm on LTE at my house and my modem is in my shop because it's the best place to mount the external antennas to point at the tower. I beam the network from there to my house and guest house with a couple Ubiquiti Nanostations. I have Ubiquiti AP's inside and out and pretty much have coverage all over the property and in all buildings. Works well for me.

I'm on LTE at my house and my modem is in my shop because it's the best place to mount the external antennas to point at the tower. I beam the network from there to my house and guest house with a couple Ubiquiti Nanostations. I have Ubiquiti AP's inside and out and pretty much have coverage all over the property and in all buildings. Works well for me.
Did you ever find your password? :lmao:

UBNT has had a number of upgrades recently. Some, I believe, have been log4j related.

Did you ever find your password? :lmao:

UBNT has had a number of upgrades recently. Some, I believe, have been log4j related.

I hadn't been able to get in to my controller for months. I changed LTE providers a few weeks ago and reset everything. Now I can get in but it's still wonky. Won't let me make any backups of the configs.

I have it and PiHole hosted on a raspberry pi. I think I'm going to just wipe it all and start over. I have a synology NAS that will support both. Already have the unifi controller installed, just need to wipe the USG and adopt it and then pull in all the AP's. I was hoping to just backup the config from the existing controller but it simply won't let me and I'm sick of messing with it.

Fortunately it's all working, I just can't realy change anything on it. :laughing:

Off track a bit but similar situation

I have my shop with metal siding about 150’ from my house. Verizon has a tower on my hill about 1/2 mile away or so. I installed a used Wilson sig booster in my shop now about 5 plus years ago. Receiver transponder (don’t know it’s technical name) is mounted on a poll facing the tower. Works good no issues.

Fast forward to today.

I cannot get cable tv where I live and I refuse to get satellite internet serves due to everyone I’ve talked to about it says it sucks bad. I find that hard to believe this day snd age but it is what it is. So my only choice now for the last 15 years has been cellular service. While it was unlimited service after so many gigs used they bogged the service down to buffer mode.

Verizon sends me an email saying I’m eligible for their new LTE router program with unlimited services. My old jetpack needed updating anyway. So I bit on the program and now I’m set up for the ability to stream videos. Pretty awesome I feel like I just caught up with the rest of society lol.

My question is this. I have a eithernet data cable or cat 5 I believe (blue cable bunch of wires and fat old school phone plug on the ends) running from my house underground to my shop that I’ve never used yet. Is there something out there that I could get to do basically what this thread is about instead of the wireless system?

Off track a bit but similar situation

I have my shop with metal siding about 150’ from my house. Verizon has a tower on my hill about 1/2 mile away or so. I installed a used Wilson sig booster in my shop now about 5 plus years ago. Receiver transponder (don’t know it’s technical name) is mounted on a poll facing the tower. Works good no issues.

Fast forward to today.

I cannot get cable tv where I live and I refuse to get satellite internet serves due to everyone I’ve talked to about it says it sucks bad. I find that hard to believe this day snd age but it is what it is. So my only choice now for the last 15 years has been cellular service. While it was unlimited service after so many gigs used they bogged the service down to buffer mode.

Verizon sends me an email saying I’m eligible for their new LTE router program with unlimited services. My old jetpack needed updating anyway. So I bit on the program and now I’m set up for the ability to stream videos. Pretty awesome I feel like I just caught up with the rest of society lol.

My question is this. I have a eithernet data cable or cat 5 I believe (blue cable bunch of wires and fat old school phone plug on the ends) running from my house underground to my shop that I’ve never used yet. Is there something out there that I could get to do basically what this thread is about instead of the wireless system?
If you have copper between the two buildings, you just need to get a wifi access point for the remote building (the one that doesn't have the LTE modem in it). The LTE modem should have a handful a ethernet ports on the back. Just plug your cable in to that and then the access point in to the other end. Assuming you just want cheap and easy, you can get something for under $50 that will do what you want.

I'll leave hardware recommendations to others since I went crazy and spend several grand on ubiquiti stuff so I'm probably not the best influence. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh