What's new

point to point network, i need internet in my shop

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good am all,

so yes i want to have steady internet in my shop, what is everyone solution for point to points. i need to go about 200 foot to my shop. since it a metal building i get crap signal in there.

i am looking at this and a router in the shop unless there are some other ideas

thanks.

line of site to the shop?

i have an enGenius wireless bridge (POE) on the outside of the shop facing the house... one in a window of the house in a bridge setup. Been working great for years.

EDIT: inside shop is a POE router and access point.

In my shops need the interweb also. Both line of sight. One 100’ the other 250’

shop is in perfect line of site and i have a window facing shop also,,
generic network map.

P2P bridges are about 300' from each other in my case. Work great. I might consider a different brand in the future - just for some additive features - but this setup has been rock solid so far. Can stream, etc w/o a problem through the bridges

Attachments

• Generic Network.jpg
    Generic Network.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 44
You want something that is designed for a bridge and not just modified APs. The protocols are different for PtP/PtMP. I've not seen good results with netgear and such

On the cheap end something like these work well airMAX NanoStation 5AC Loco

On the higher end Cambium or Siklu

this may be a game changer, i can order parts or what ever without stepping outside. OMG

It happens.

BTW - I couldn't get wifi in the shop w/o doing the extenders... metal just blocked too much signal. But now I can get all the interwebs i want and not not be bothered by a phone call or text. :flipoff2:

Been running this wireless bridge in my shop for about a year along with a router. Zero issues. Cheap and easy to set up.

I'm thrilled with my Ubiquiti stuff. I have full wifi coverage inside and outside my entire property - 16 acres, 2 house and shop. The unify hub, modem and other gear is in the shop and then I use Nanostation M5 Loco's to beam to each house. Each house and the shop also have a Unifi WAP. The one at the shop is outside and gives me coverage inside and almost everywhere outside. Eventually I'd like to run cable or fiber between the buildings, but the way I have it now has been more then good enough for my needs.

Granted, they aren't plug and play and will pose a challenge to the less savy types, but they're solid once they're set up.

I'm thrilled with my Ubiquiti stuff. I have full wifi coverage inside and outside my entire property - 16 acres, 2 house and shop. The unify hub, modem and other gear is in the shop and then I use Nanostation M5 Loco's to beam to each house. Each house and the shop also have a Unifi WAP. The one at the shop is outside and gives me coverage inside and almost everywhere outside. Eventually I'd like to run cable or fiber between the buildings, but the way I have it now has been more then good enough for my needs.

Granted, they aren't plug and play and will pose a challenge to the less savy types, but they're solid once they're set up.
does your network topology map work in the UI? Mine only works about 1/8th the time.

does your network topology map work in the UI? Mine only works about 1/8th the time.
From what I remember, yes. Though I can't even remember how to get in to it at the moment. :laughing: I got home from vacation saturday and the AP in the main house was on but "no internet". Went out to the shop and the AP was working there. Tried to pull up the UI and couldn't even remember the IP.

Turns out the M5 at the shop that's supposed to be pointed to the house had fallen over (because I have it zip tied to a broom stick that bungee corded to the porch post because I've been thinking about putting up a real pole for the last 9 months) and had just enough signal to keep the AP online but not enough to actually move an real data.

I made notes of all the IP's and logins for all the devices but apparently forgot the most important one. :laughing:

...had fallen over (because I have it zip tied to a broom stick that bungee corded to the porch post because I've been thinking about putting up a real pole for the last 9 months) and ...

This reminded me to mention, I did have to proper mount the barn end antenna because it needed to be outside the faraday cage of the steel siding. But the house end is just sitting on a shelf in a closet generally pointed to the barn. I had intended on properly mounting on the outside of the house, but during testing we found it worked just fine through the house wall, so never bothered to do more.

so i also asked my oldest son to see what he could find out on how to internet to the shop and he came up with something and he ordered it and we will see what we get on saturday. hahahah i will for sure post what he got and my thoughts on it.

cant wait......

so we tried monday to get it hooked up, no luck, i think i may have figured it out, trying again tonight,

what i think happened is when we were assigning IP addresses for the AP and CLIENT we may have used the IP address for the router and thus took my router offline and for the life of us we could not figure out why we did not have internet on the CLIENT end at all. the router ended in 254 by default and we did not know that and assigned the AP 254 and 253. so i think that maybe our issue.

what did you end up ordering?

this is what he ordered for me​

two of these ----​

TP-Link 2.4GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE for PtP and PtMP Transmission | Point to Point Wireless Bridge | 9dBi, 5km+ | Passive PoE Powered w/ Free PoE Injector | Pharos Control (CPE210)​

one ---- TP-Link AC1200 Reliable Dual Band WiFi Router (Archer C50)​

man I need this...my distance is short....like 50' to the back of the shop, and id love to get service on the outdoor patio....ideas?

from what i been reading there are plenty of routers out there that can do what you need. especially outdoor coverage. google internet on my back patio.

so we tried monday to get it hooked up, no luck, i think i may have figured it out, trying again tonight,

what i think happened is when we were assigning IP addresses for the AP and CLIENT we may have used the IP address for the router and thus took my router offline and for the life of us we could not figure out why we did not have internet on the CLIENT end at all. the router ended in 254 by default and we did not know that and assigned the AP 254 and 253. so i think that maybe our issue.
Yes, having a duplicate ip is going to not work and break things... Pick 2 unused addresses outside of the DHCP range

can having same ip actually break stuff, because that router will not come online now at all. but i did not change its ip address yet, i just figured out the ip address thing

DHCP range is 0 - 255.

I would've run a cable at that distance..
If you let your dhcp run to 255 your in for a world of hurt when something grabs that last address.

Your router is probably sending out DHCP, it will be in the settings. Most ISPs default it to 1-253 if the gateway ip is .254 or 2-254 if the gateway is .1. Since yours is .254 GW set the DHCP range somewhere around .20-200. Thats plenty for home users. Then use something out of that range for the bridge and not .254

can having same ip actually break stuff, because that router will not come online now at all. but i did not change its ip address yet, i just figured out the ip address thing
Having something with the same IP as the network gateway will destroy the network in short order. Shut down/unplug whatever it conflict with and reboot all the network gear to clear the arp tables.

ok here is an update,

last night we got the network up and running last night. the old router we took out of the system. two new cheap routers and assigned the AP and client 200 and 201 and bam, we got everything to work.

i have internet in the shop but have one random bit of drama i feel like maybe two bits. so i dont think the ether net port on the computer works now, maybe we screwed that up on monday but i cant get internet on that port when i run a ethernet cable from the back of the router to the back of the computer. and i thought i was going to have the same network in the shop as the house. my question is this.

so currently have a camera i can access from my phone anywhere and see what is up, it is in the house on the house internet. now if i move that to the shop will i still be able access that camera? or do i need to adjust a setting on the shop router. at any rate i am super happy, i was able to stream you tube in my steel building with no i say again no buffering or lag. it just worked so that makes me super happy.

cheers
wifi.png

Top Back Refresh