What's new

Plumbing for shop air?

Point the intake away from the shop wall so it acts like less of a ghetto-ass speaker.

Db is lograthmic, so a 5db decrease is pretty good. I didn't measure the sound levels, but it's a dramatic difference in my application.

Did you think the same for yours?
I definitely noticed the difference. It’s even better inside the shop and it’s a metal building with thin insulation.

I'm the one that leaves tools out for 4 months cause "I'm working on it still!"

My FIL would hop up from the table as soon as he finished eating, and start trying to round up everyone's plates for washing- even if we were still eating. :mad3:

I decided to give the McMaster-Carr silencer a try. Thanks GLTHFJ60
It arrived quick.
I’m in the process of building an enclosure for my compressor and want to quiet it a bit for me and my neighbors. It’s under the stairs to the upper part of the shop. I’ll enclose the portion shown and add waffle foam and baffled vents when done. I wasn't sure how to seal a roof around the posts and decided to use a rubber rv roof coating.

I’m using a db app on my phone:

ambient 39db

before 76db

sound mat on tank 75db

silencer 70db (60db inside)

enclosure TBD

I added a section of 1” suction hose and mounted the silencer and filter to a post

It now reads 69-70db bouncing back and forth. Maybe a 1/2db difference?
IMG_2422.jpeg

Expensive, but worth every penny for quieting down the intake on my big compressor.

would a $20 TSC tractor muffler do the same? Just curious...

Try it out and let us know. I've got the fancy one, not gonna take it off to see if the cheap version works half as good :flipoff2:

Do it for science!
Dang TSC tractor mufflers have gone up in price... $60-80 now.

Top Back Refresh