• Bacon

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
First ... yes I know its mostly the lady folk that use it .. and maybe a few questionable fellas here :flipoff2:

Given that ... it's a hell of a marketing tool where pinned images show up in images searches all the time.

So: https://www.pinterest.com/irate4x4/. There isn't shit on there yet.

I'm still focusing on ways to spread the word about the site, bring in more people and builds. I'm wondering how you would feel if I took your images from builds, trail rides, etc and posted them there. A build for example would get a short description of your build and everything would link back to it for people to find it and hopefully want to contribute.

The only major drawback I can think of ATM is that if you delete your thread, you'd have to message me afterwards so I could delete any pinned pics. I can get Pinterest to automatically digest pics from here, but not to delete them.

So .. thoughts duplicating your build there?

I voted "whore out my pics if you want" because you asked, and I appreciate that :beer:

Few years back, ExtremeTerrain was using a pic of mine w/o my knowledge - that's 10/10 douchebaggy :mad3:

Few years back, ExtremeTerrain was using a pic of mine w/o my knowledge - that's 10/10 douchebaggy :mad3:

Exactly. We occasionally take a pic and post to FB or IG but thats still promoting your build or whatever. I feel like those two places are 'posted today gone tomorrow' types of places too. I mean, technically they are still there, but they are gone from peoples feeds.

Pinterest on the other hand, will always be in the SERPS.... which is the goal

I voted not to use my pics.. and it's not because I don't want irate to benefit from what I uploaded here. In fact, it's the opposite reason. There have been so many times where I'm searching projects, or something technical, and a Pinterest picture shows up first instead of the original. It's usually something I want to click on and find more information about, but I don't have a pinterest account, and the link takes me nowhere. I would much rather the images direct from irate show-up, so I can click on them and be taken to the project thread rather than Pinterest's stupid servers. .

Other than that, I understand that what I post here can be used to make money or advertise for Irate, and I'm all for that if it gives us a place to post.

Pinterest and others us crowdsourcing to interact with 'pins' and drive up their search ranking. Reputable crowd-sourcing sites won't let you do clicks and views directly to here, so they use Pinterest as a proxy. AFAI can tell, that's the main utility of the site.

I don't know if Pinterest does this themselves in a random way, or if someone else somehow pays Pinterest to do it, but it's effective. I've saved pins from certain sites before and after I do the job, and it shoots up in the search rankings within 24 hours for niche sites like this.

edit: mTurk by the way.

There are ways you could get an mTurk batch to drive rankings here, but they do cost money to have an effect, and it has to be something like 'research'.

I voted not to use my pics.. and it's not because I don't want irate to benefit from what I uploaded here. In fact, it's the opposite reason. There have been so many times where I'm searching projects, or something technical, and a Pinterest picture shows up first instead of the original. It's usually something I want to click on and find more information about, but I don't have a pinterest account, and the link takes me nowhere. I would much rather the images direct from irate show-up, so I can click on them and be taken to the project thread rather than Pinterest's stupid servers. .

Other than that, I understand that what I post here can be used to make money or advertise for Irate, and I'm all for that if it gives us a place to post.

I agree with this. I voted "um...what?" because I've tried and can't for the life of me figure out how to function pintrist as a useable thing. as for the google machine and the growth spread, I don't know how that all works but it seems like IG/FB are the easier, if less useable, things that actually link back to the website.

is there a way to get Irate4x4 to "sponsor" events? SRRS, WEROCK, KOH, something? even if just as a minor banner sponsor and then work your way up?

I say do it hard with every rig on here.

Google Image 'irate4x4', then 'pirate4x4. That is not a pretty comparison. Notice the "did you mean Pirate?

I know which of those I'd go look at....if I didn't know.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.34.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.34.14 AM.png

BTW I voted Yes

Because of the offer to delete the photos. Photos posted here are being used by all sorts of people anyway, like any photo on the internet.

It's usually something I want to click on and find more information about, but I don't have a pinterest account, and the link takes me nowhere.
yea thats super F'n annoying. I feel like a lot of people pin stuff for instant attention and in a month the site is down or broke.

​​​​​​​
I would much rather the images direct from irate show-up, so I can click on them and be taken to the project thread rather than Pinterest's stupid servers.

I'm with you 1000% on this. We still have a pretty small site as far as a 'search engine presence' goes. When the site is bigger and getting more traffic there is a far greater chance of that happening. There are also some SEO optimization things you can do to your pics when uploading to help them get recognized, but thats more work that a member should have to do in my opinion

100% this. I cannot fucking stand Pinterest. It's made Google's image search damn near unusable. I've got custom search engines setup on both browsers on my PC specifically to block Pinterest results from returning in searches anymore.

Fuck any site that forces me to have an account with them solely so they can sell my user data.

yea thats super F'n annoying. I feel like a lot of people pin stuff for instant attention and in a month the site is down or broke.

I'm with you 1000% on this. We still have a pretty small site as far as a 'search engine presence' goes. When the site is bigger and getting more traffic there is a far greater chance of that happening. There are also some SEO optimization things you can do to your pics when uploading to help them get recognized, but thats more work that a member should have to do in my opinion

I'm up for doing my part, let me know what needs to happen. Most of my build thread was originally just links to my imgur account, but I could always switch it up.

I say do it hard with every rig on here.

Google Image 'irate4x4', then 'pirate4x4. That is not a pretty comparison. Notice the "did you mean Pirate?

I know which of those I'd go look at....if I didn't know.

A few quick observations & thoughts on these .....
  • irate vs pirate - yea .. that doesn't make marketing this domain name any easier .... but it was too perfect to not use.
  • there are 14 pics directly on irate4x4.com, only 2 on the other. I'd chalk that up to 20yrs of that site being talked about elsewhere.
  • 11 pics NOT from irate are from big companies IE the Google Play and Apple app stores ...
  • Bottom line ... we just don't have enough builds getting spidered in the SERPs yet

Two other observations ......
  • The first two suggested subsets for the PBB search is 'Chest' & 'Wife' :lmao:
  • We are severely lacking on the chicks in bikinis w/rigs pics

Yeah, pintrest brings nothing of value to the internet. I don't care if stuff gets posted there, but I can't see how it would bring any like minded people in.

On the plus side, if you put -pintrest (or any other website) behind your search term it excludes anything from that god forsaken domain.

Put some branding on some of the photos with IRATE4x4.com on them and feed the google & pinterest machine. At least somebody casually looking can then see that irate4x4 isn't just a spelling error when google suggests otherwise.

Yeah, pintrest brings nothing of value to the internet. I don't care if stuff gets posted there, but I can't see how it would bring any like minded people in.

On the plus side, if you put -pintrest (or any other website) behind your search term it excludes anything from that god forsaken domain.

Put some branding on some of the photos with IRATE4x4.com on them and feed the google & pinterest machine. At least somebody casually looking can then see that irate4x4 isn't just a spelling error when google suggests otherwise.

Agree with both. Pinterest is a bane upon the internet, but if you can leverage it to grow IBB, do it.

Watermarks is a great idea. Works for SuperMotors. Add a clickbox in the upload process so members can choose.

I found a damn nice cell phone leather case on there. I got it clear from Croatia in about two weeks. Also found a killer cordless drill holder that hangs six drills.

This exactly. If I get pinterest pic in my search, I just move on and never look at that pic again if I remember it so I don't waste my time trying to unfuck pinterest so I can actually look at the fucking picture. I swear pinterest is one of Dante's level of hell.

I never really got pinterest. My wife is on it, and she ran me though it this weekend. We've bought a fixxer upper house and she'd got a board for every room we had to redo and several pics of ideas for that room. Colors, materials, layout whatever.... she had images.

Honestly, I feel like its nothing more than a visual way to save bookmarks and share them socially. It's defiantly more for the social media crowds.

I got organized bookmark folders for what I want a irate4x4 rig build to look like but thats because thats what is familiar to me .. I could just as easily save them there with pics I guess.

is there a way to get Irate4x4 to "sponsor" events? SRRS, WEROCK, KOH, something? even if just as a minor banner sponsor and then work your way up?

Lol.. maybe lasernut could sponsor irate :dustin:

I'm all for it. But count me in as another web user that dislikes Pinterest because of the account deal... so I don't like their site, no.

This exactly. If I get pinterest pic in my search, I just move on and never look at that pic again if I remember it so I don't waste my time trying to unfuck pinterest so I can actually look at the fucking picture. I swear pinterest is one of Dante's level of hell.

count me in for the fuck pinterest bandwagon :flipoff2:

Honestly, I feel like its nothing more than a sneaky way to steal intellectual property while keeping non-social-media-people hostage in the fucking "must register to access" crap for the holy sake of advertising revenue.
FIFY
NTTIAWWT but that's not my thing. If it comes down to this we might as well join facebook :rolleyes:

You didn't fix shit for me :flipoff2:

Whats sneaky about Pinterest? People have to manually post their stuff to there ... Or do you mean IBB is being sneaky? ... by asking everybody how they feel about it?

If you're not social media people ... don't go there. Have the domain omitted from your searches like other do.

Until now, I never had a pinterest account and when a pic came up that I wanted to see I always just clicked around the login (someplace else on the screen) and it worked just fine. A few more clicks and I was on the site that the pic was from. It is inconvenient, no argument there, but it's not impossible.

I wasn't asking you to use pinterest, or to post there. The poll was: Can this site share your pictures there as well? Aside from the Trailer Park forum, everything you post is public anyway. It's nothing but link building, building a bigger presence on the interwebs by casting more lines out to draw more people in. It requires zero effort from you.

Top Back Refresh