What's new

Overdrive Transmission Options with AX10/SCX10.1 Axles

'84 Bronco II

El Chingón
Member Number
Loc
NM
I want to get front overdrive, and I am curious if there is a good option I am missing for my build. I want to keep the low gear sets in both axles to minimize torque twist and stress on the drivetrain, so I want to get overdrive from the transmission. Currently, I am at ˜20:1 with the Axial 3 gear transmission, 93T spur and 12T pinion, and I would like to be able to stay near that for the rear ratio.

A lot of overdrive transmissions counter rotate, which is good for torque twist, but requires flipping the front differential which can't be done with AX10/SCX10.1 axles. AR60 axles are too wide, and I don't want to invest in a completely new axle platform now that I have invested in the HD low gear sets, shafts, and XR mod parts. I am building this car to primarily compete in local "Trail Class" competitions and just bought the Chinese carbon fiber chassis DWT says is the shit.

The Element Stealth X is cheap ($64) and pretty close to a bolt in replacement for the old Axial 3 gear transmission, but it sits higher, is relatively heavy, and the C.O.G. is not as low as other options.

The DLUX CheezBerger has good gearing and is light, but the front counter-rotates, the motor mounting seems high, and it costs $153.

The DLUX OD-3 is lightish and synchronous rotating, but you can only get the total reduction with a 9T pinion down to 17.9:1, and it costs $190 ::eek:

The Team Garage Hack Creeper has good gearing, is compact, lightweight, and synchronous rotating, but requires a forward motor mount on top of its $115 price.

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Team Garage Hack 2.Low, but it seems to be a counter-rotating design? :confused: Also, not sure how big of a spur can be run with it.

The Vanquish VFD looks interesting, but seems bulky and heavy as well as having a bunch of slop with all the gears. Also requires an offset front axle?

Swap the rear axle to an ar45 or capra if you want to be about as wide as the front XR modded axle.

Rear axles are under $100 built with all new parts. Instant overdrive that's variable through swapping ring and pinions and/or portal gears. The rotation is correct for use with an old ax10 axle like you're using and it'll give you great ground clearance without raising the center of gravity.

It's a winning combo, my chingchong rig you mentioned runs a VP front ar44 with an ar45 rear with a kyx housing because the 3rd member had to be flipped for proper rotation. You wouldn't need to flip the rear in your case so factory housing will be fine.

The rotation is correct for use with an old ax10 axle like you're using

I had thought of a Capra rear axle, but ASSumed it would rotate the wrong way because of the 2 gear portal. Sounds like that may be a better/cheaper way to go. Thanks for the insight :beer:

Top Back Refresh