What's new

Our Bronco II Build

Ocd_Fab

Member Number
Loc
Sacramento, Ca
So the time has come! Ive been avoiding Irate because I was too deep into other forums for way to many years but It looks like I had to make the switch. Features are looking promising and this place seems to be a good forum that adapted with modern times! With that said,

I own and operate a Fabrication Shop here in Northern California and have been a Off-road / Hot Rod enthusiast sense I could walk. Father and grandfather started the family into this industry and now its my generation to keep it going. So without further Jibber Jabber here is our most recent build.

My Gf wanted a truck after a few years of wheeling with me so we started looking around. I got her eyes set on a Bronco ii. We picked this up a few years back and I've been slowly building it for a great On and Off-road Rig. This B2 can take you to church and threw Rubicon the same day! We have taken it threw all of Rubicon to the springs and Buck and most of Fordyce Coming in Cisco. Down to WH1 and playing the best it can on 35's. And with some occasional fire trails/weekend get a ways. This build progresses every time we touch it and we have no plans on stopping. I am going to start prototyping a few Ranger/Broncoii Parts here in the upcoming year depending on some local responses I get back from them. But enough about that. Here is a Build List and Photo Dump. Glad to be here and start sharing/conversing a little bit more!

1989 Ford Bronco ii
  • 2.9L
  • Auto / BW1354 ( Stock )

- Dana 30 HP Non Disconnect Front Axle :
Leaf Spring Conversion / ARB 30 Spline Locker / Chromo Shafts / Chromo U joints / High Steer Knuckle / G2 4.88 Gears / Timkin Rebuild Kit / 3/16 Knuckle Gussets / Trai Defense Diff Cover / New Brakes

- Ford 8.8 Explorer Rear
31 Spline Axles ( Stock Material ) Welded Diff / G2 4.88 Gears / G2 Rebuild Kit / Ruffstuff Perches , U-bolts , Spring Plates / New Brakes

• Custom Tube Front Bumper w/ Integrated Spring Hanger ( 1.750 x .120 Wall DOM )
  • Custom Tube Rear Bumper w/ Drop Down Tire Swing Out ( 1.750 x .120 Wall DOM )
  • Side Tube Protection/Sliders All Tied Into The Frame ( 1.750 x .120 Wall DOM )
  • Elrod 3 Rib Spare Tire Strap
  • Bilstein 12in Front Shocks
  • Bilstein 12in Rear Shocks
  • Toyota RUF Front Leaf Springs ( Custom Pack )
  • Explorer Rear Leaf Springs ( 2 sets built into one )
  • 3in Shackles
  • Custom Front Shackle Hangers ( RuffStuff 7in Offset Shackles )
  • Warn M8000 Winch
  • 35x12.5x15 BFG KM3's
  • 15x8 Level 8 Wheels ( Dual Valve Stem , Poly Protection Ring )
  • Pioneer Head Unit
  • JBL GTO Door Speakers and Rear Speakers
  • Memphis Audio Boat Tower Speakers
  • RockFord Fosgate 500W 4 Channel ( Powering the rear GTO's and Boat Speakers )
  • Complete Interior LED Conversion
  • Front LED Head Lights
  • LED Tail Light Bulbs
  • 3G Alternator Upgrade ( 140Amp )
  • Explorer Radiator and Fan Shroud ( Larger 3 Core Rad )
  • Transmission Cooler
  • Grille Mount Raptor Lights
  • Marine Battery ( Dual Post )
  • ARB On-Board Air ( Lockers and Air Down Support )
  • Hi-Lift
  • 2in Removed From Rear Tub ( For Tire Clearance )
  • Long Slip Front Driveline ( Double Cardon 1310 ; Built by DriveLine Services of Sacramento )
  • Intake Box Reseal / Watercrossing Clearance
  • RLB.com 4ft Whip
  • RLB.com Amber Rock Lights
  • Piaa Hi-Beam Front Bumper Lights
  • Extreme LED Square Reverse Lights ( Wired into Reverse Signal )

I'm sure I have some more as we go on but I wanted to get the build out there and see just how far me and her want to take this thing. I've been having thoughts about building some Hybrid 9in axles for it to keep it strong but high ground clearance. The dana 30 has honestly been very well for this size of build despite its size and prone knowledge of being weak. Some of these pictures are with the old Vacuum Actuated dana 30. That's gone and a non disconnect axle is under it now. We will be on Rubicon for Round Up this Month so hope to see some of your northern wheelin Junkies out there!

4530470B-CFA0-4A0E-86A4-7B45E0D25267.jpg

IMG_3427.JPEG
IMG_3429.JPEG
IMG_3558.JPEG
IMG_3564.JPEG
IMG_3583.JPEG
IMG_3585.JPEG
IMG_3586.JPEG
IMG_3587.JPEG
IMG_3592.JPEG

Nice to see someone else building a Bronco II!
Yeah I've wanted too for a while but never got the chance! I've mainly wheeled Toyotas my whole life even though I'm a Ford Guy and have owned/Daily Drove them sense I started driving. Now I'm back on the Ford Drug again so I picked up a explorer to build ( Just to Sell ) and have a plan for a future build once I sell the 4runner.

Outside of the explorer grill :p , that's a neat B2!

Thanks Man!

This one itself is "technically" not a explorer Grille. Even though we all know the 1991-1994 Explorers were all optioned with this grille. This grille was optioned for the 1991-1992 Ford Ranger STX Model also. The Original Owner took it back to Ford to have the Grille optioned and installed this way ( In 1990 ) after buying it in 1988 for the 1989 model year. The receipt says "Ranger STX Grille". I've had them side by side and seen no difference with the STX Ranger vs. the Explorer. Go to LMC Truck its the Same Shit, Same Part Number Haha. But anyways, I personally am not a fan of it but the wife has not made her decision on if she wants this grill or the original grille in black. We shall see.

If it were up to me I would convert the front clip back to a 1986-1988 and do a custom grill from a New Bronco or Bronco Sport!

Top Back Refresh