What's new

OTR O/Os - trucks?

IIRC you have a business and a yard near LA, I couldn't imagine trying to be OTR in an owned truck, paying the monthly overhead, while paying the overhead on the rest of your stuff...

Is there something else more specialized you could do from your yard?

If every immigrant can run a flat bed, it would seem prudent to run specialized equipment, landoll, lowboy rgn etc higher cost per mile, less miles

Buy a class 8 wrecker and wait for all those shitty new trucks to get towed in for emission problems, stash their trailers in your yard and charge storage, could be a way better use of your time and money....

If every immigrant can run a flat bed, it would seem prudent to run specialized equipment, landoll, lowboy rgn etc higher cost per mile, less miles

Buy a class 8 wrecker and wait for all those shitty new trucks to get towed in for emission problems, stash their trailers in your yard and charge storage, could be a way better use of your time and money....
A friend works for a regional paving company driving a 4 axle semi with various 3-4 axle RGB trailers.
He has all the hours he can legally run in the summer picking up pavers, grinders, excavators, dozers, etc, etc, etc from one site and taking them to another.
Slows down in the winter unless he wants to stay down in the south after he drops off the pavers when it gets too cold to pave in the fall.

Aaron Z

You’re in Cali just get a Tesla semi, newsome will probably buy it for you!

you are 100% spot on Tiha hence just going new. Used 350k mile trucks used to be in the 35-45k range, seen them all the time (but didnt need back then). Used Sleepers were going for few k less than daycabs. Now that prices probably tripled, I threw that idea out (as I asked originally in the thread). 150k is a bigger payment, but it will cost more to be down and fixing it

IIRC you have a business and a yard near LA, I couldn't imagine trying to be OTR in an owned truck, paying the monthly overhead, while paying the overhead on the rest of your stuff...

yard is not big enough for that business and is getting used for training anyway.

i already mentioned that O/O guys pulling in 20k a month now. And most of them end up hiring a driver eventually.

p.s. local yard guy is paying 300 something to move his excavator in LA. Doesnt seem like big bucks in that. I did think about towing, but not looking to crawl on the ground hooking shit up.

Last edited:
you are 100% spot on Tiha hence just going new. Used 350k mile trucks used to be in the 35-45k range, seen them all the time (but didnt need back then). Used Sleepers were going for few k less than daycabs. Now that prices probably tripled, I threw that idea out (as I asked originally in the thread). 150k is a bigger payment, but it will cost more to be down and fixing it

Theres something to be said about down time and not making money.

But when you have shortages on sensors and some dumb shit backordered on emissions equipment... you're dead in the water anyway. You're making a payment on a truck sitting in the shop.

Being based in California is a damned if you do, damned if you dont.

New ones break down too. It's not like there's an awesome bumper to bumper warranty that comes with them which covers down time.

Their drivers are so inept that last year Hormel told the company they would only allow them to keep the contract lane if they changed over to live loads only (95% of loads out of the facility are drop and hook). They were tired of the drivers crashing into shit, getting stuck in the grass, etc. and screwing everything up in the yard.

Now we get to watch them take about 40 minutes to try and back into a dock door instead.

My Dad was a CDL trainer for their driving school for about 10 years, sounds like he taught them everything he knew :)

I ran a SLC company early 90's for like 1 year freightliner COE 3 axles doubles 11 western.

Hated it after 9 months.

What I want to buy for myself.

Aint that purty.
ee3f03c5e06c495dcd17b2f41811ba485068.jpg
97c8bc1795eb656cca9161d115698fcc5068.jpg

Last edited:
Buying a truck is like buying a house. Always buy up little more than you think you should/can. Little things will bug the shit out of you. ‘I shudda this, I shudda that! After all you’re spending a lot of time in that thing. 280” WB about the most useful lenght. I’ve drove 230 HP to 500 HP. HP is ‘king’.

That plus getting woken up at 2am to do a tire swap while traffic buzzes 3 feet away or to drive 35 miles one way to try and find a truck that isn’t where it says it is and the driver can’t speak English. Or getting called out somewhere and 5 brothers set you up to jump you in a parking lot

Friend of a friend owns a large tow company in California, biggest issue facing the company right now is all the meth junkie filled bio hazard RVs they’re forced to impound by the city police department. They have to sit on them for a while but the owner never comes back to get them. The RV costs an arm and a leg to dispose of because of the drug lab and have no scrap value. Other big issue is a heavy wrecker/rotator needs to be newer to comply with EPA bullshit and that’s big big money for an unreliable truck.
I’d set those shits on fire first, then haul them off. Tetanus is better than methaids.

I've been doing research and calling around. Ask 12 people, get 12 different answers. The trucks between $15k and $150k have no rhyme or reason.

I've been doing research and calling around. Ask 12 people, get 12 different answers. The trucks between $15k and $150k have no rhyme or reason.

I really didnt expect this. When covid started, everything died, local truckers were complaining. I was waiting for prices to drop and pick up a truck. But thr opposite happened, and trucking became the hot "essential" business. I am not putting a doen payment on a new truck if I have to wait till February to get it, a lot can change by then. So I will keep looking...

Like door clearances.
omg :lmao:

I really didnt expect this. When covid started, everything died, local truckers were complaining. I was waiting for prices to drop and pick up a truck. But thr opposite happened, and trucking became the hot "essential" business. I am not putting a doen payment on a new truck if I have to wait till February to get it, a lot can change by then. So I will keep looking...

Dont know CA law, but in TX they cant legally keep your "deposit". They havent provided you with a product, it doesnt exist.

When I was selling vehicles, we would just staple they're check to the form and file it away. Too much hassle to refund if shit went sideways in 8 weeks.

Dont know CA law, but in TX they cant legally keep your "deposit". They havent provided you with a product, it doesnt exist.

When I was selling vehicles, we would just staple they're check to the form and file it away. Too much hassle to refund if shit went sideways in 8 weeks.

8 weeks != 8 months

Ill ask, to be honest I never ordered a vehicle and had no idea how deposits worked, but I thought you signed to commit to it. I will call and ask

8 weeks != 8 months

Ill ask, to be honest I never ordered a vehicle and had no idea how deposits worked, but I thought you signed to commit to it. I will call and ask

It's more of a good faith gesture. They may or may not cash your check. here you can sign all the paperwork, give them cash, but as long as you dont take receipt (doesnt leave the dealer lot) they have to legally unravel the deal.

I'm sure the deposit varies if the GM is a jew or not, but you may want to look into CA law. Arent there some CA dealers on here? I'd also be shopping every state west of the rockies.

So whats the word on these HX trucks?

they dont seem to be popular and theres a few to choose from.

also, what terms are industry average on the financing for these?
Aside from being a 13 letter shit spreader, that's not really a road truck. Its a vocational truck with a coffin sleeper. Think oilfield sandbox hauler. It would be miserable trying to live out of that truck more than a couple days at a time due to lack of storage space for personal effects and you literally have to change clothes in between the front seats, since the bunk is right behind them.

Aside from being a 13 letter shit spreader, that's not really a road truck. Its a vocational truck with a coffin sleeper. Think oilfield sandbox hauler. It would be miserable trying to live out of that truck more than a couple days at a time due to lack of storage space for personal effects and you literally have to change clothes in between the front seats, since the bunk is right behind them.
Not as bad as a cab over from the 80s then? :laughing::flipoff2:

theres a few with a full size sleeper, but I havent seen or heard about HXs much anywhere. Thanks for the feedbsck!

I had a cabover stage but never scratched the itch. Im just torn on them. Safety and all.
My parents became O/O after dad retired in 1980 they went with North American new freight and had one of them tiny cab GMCs since one of them was always sleeping I spent more than a few hours sitting in the tiny passenger seat with the engine roaring in my left ear. In the 90s mom was at home raising my brothers three kids and dad was driving for Provisoners out of Seattle in a new Peterbilt conventional talk about a difference!

English? Or CR England. If the former, I couldn't tell you what it is. If its the latter... Woooooooooooo boooooy, is he about to starve with three students in a truck together looking like a monkey fucking a football out there.
Just talked to his dad and he's out o his own and maxing his hours. God help the motoring community.

Just talked to his dad and he's out o his own and maxing his hours. God help the motoring community.
Dad was still driving on paper log books generally had three running at anytime. When he and mom were driving alot of the time he was running on her log book

Thats fine I learned how to drive a class 8 truck on an international.

Top Back Refresh