What's new

Oroville in the news again

excuse the dumb question but was the flooding then due to record rainfall in the area or record snowpack/melting on the western slope?
I can only assume. I’ve only been here 2 years so I’m not a historian. Roc Doc knows a bunch.

I believe the spillways have only ever been used twice?
once for design when it was first filled and once during the 1983 floods
Well according to the www you are correct, but I saw with my own eyes water entering the side weirs, maybe they were testing the gates I dunno, but the water would have to be within 16' of max capacity and I believe it was in 2000.

Well according to the www you are correct, but I saw with my own eyes water entering the side weirs, maybe they were testing the gates I dunno, but the water would have to be within 16' of max capacity and I believe it was in 2000.
Correct on 2000.

I can only assume. I’ve only been here 2 years so I’m not a historian. Roc Doc knows a bunch.
My wife went to Vet Tech school with a woman who's husband is a high mucky-muck at the dam, and I pick his brain any time I can. It's a fascinating project from a time when :usa: got shit done.

Fuse lit
4DA2D242-8648-4D0A-B1D4-60CC5960B8A2.jpeg

Vegas has solar, did you not know that? Also since you must speak Mexidoodle, you must know that Las Vegas means "The meadows", which were fed by an artesian spring that still bubbles the fuck up on it's own. There is so much ground water in Vegas that all the strip hotels have to pump it out of their underground structures, that's where the water comes from for the Bellagio fountains, Treasure Island Buccaneer Bay, The Mirage volcano, etc.

the-more-you-5c2d74.jpg

Now San Diego, what chu got?

Umm, your Colorado River :cookie:

Last time I ran through Gilroy two or three years ago, I was "shocked" by all the new housing/apts... running up Hecker Pass fast:barf: Not close to what I grew up in.

Which reservoir got nailed?
Anderson Lake, just east of Morgan Hill.

I flew directly over Oroville and Lake Shasta, never seen either of them that low in all my life. Just horrible, regret not getting any pics.

They could just close Hoover dam off for six months or so to let the reservoir fill.:flipoff2:

I flew directly over Oroville and Lake Shasta, never seen either of them that low in all my life. Just horrible, regret not getting any pics.
I'll get pics of Lake Oroville next week, it's my designated day to go to town, here haa

The western most leg of the lake.

In the past one could motor boat up this leg but not much past here.

20210820_162418.jpg

Last edited:
The western most leg of the lake.

In the past one could motor boat up this leg a mile or so past this point.
20210820_162418.jpg
I read in a thread somewhere here the reason the West's rivers and lakes are drying up is because corporations/entities are buying up land for the water rights.
Basically choking off water flow.

Can anyone clarify and/or expand on that point if true?

Hopefully they are able to release enough to keep the pacific from getting too salty
I know you are being sarcastic, but our Rod and Gun Club actually tracks the salinity at the end of our pier. I always fluctuates depending on how the rivers and creeks are flowing. I'm sure there is similar monitoring all over the SF Bay.

I read in a thread somewhere here the reason the West's rivers and lakes are drying up is because corporations/entities are buying up land for the water rights.
Basically choking off water flow.

Can anyone clarify and/or expand on that point if true?
It's been happening since the 70's, maybe earlier. Dad had several clients who purchased land specifically for the water rights with no plans for the actual land.

I know you are being sarcastic, but our Rod and Gun Club actually tracks the salinity at the end of our pier. I always fluctuates depending on how the rivers and creeks are flowing. I'm sure there is similar monitoring all over the SF Bay.

It's been happening since the 70's, maybe earlier. Dad had several clients who purchased land specifically for the water rights with no plans for the actual land.
Yup and in the foothills like Porterville, wells have gone dry and they've had to knock over orchards due to water being pumped out down below.

PART of this makes me laugh. California, along with a few other states, were required to cut back their consumption of water from the Colorado River/Lake Mead (or whatever the Hoover Dam blocks) and now they're releasing water from their largest reservoir to avoid another massive flood. HOPEFULLY California can legislate a way to save this water (sarcasim) and I personally think it's smart when there is a thread discussing 4-48 FEET of snowpack in the Sierras.

Top Back Refresh