What's new

Operation Un-F@cked

91advrunner

Former Child
Member Number
Loc
Grass Valley, CA
Find my 12 year old “build” thread here: https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/91...#post-45001657

Since apparently pirate is dead, Stage 2 is getting posed here, hopefully not over the next 12 years.

TL;DR I SASed a 91 4 runner with the 3.0 in high school. Wanted it tall as fuck, killed the auto tranny hammering it with 37s, and then ghosted her like my high school girlfriend in 2011. Since then I got married and had 2 kids and realized I don’t need a tall 4runner, and don’t need a clear 2nd gen to do Fordyce. The new iteration will be lowered on 35s, manual swapped with duals, of which I have all the parts other than the clutch and hydraulics if I remember correctly. The goal is to have a rig that can drive off into the woods with he family with no notice, and be towed to the Rockies to adventure through the San Juans.

Current status: ‘91 4runner, 3.0 with a semi recent HG fix, blown auto, ARBs, 5.71s, stock shafts, 5 Inch Marlin kit front and rear, 37s 11 gallon Aux fuel tank, MC rear bumper, stock front.

Goals/ to-do list: as low as I can get it on 35s, and be able to load the cargo area up, manual swap with duals, front bumper with winch, finish a tire carrier for the rear.

Ive arrived at this point after recently considering a 4th gen 4runner, 60, 80, and 100 series LC with a Vortec swap, and a few other options.

626EAC2C-CA5D-419C-9094-D480A829674B.jpeg - Click image for larger version Name:	626EAC2C-CA5D-419C-9094-D480A829674B.jpeg Views:	357 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	169401

E21C628A-BB9A-44B0-8D35-5DB06CF76D90.jpeg - Click image for larger version Name:	E21C628A-BB9A-44B0-8D35-5DB06CF76D90.jpeg Views:	350 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	169402

00BB99C2-2E5A-466A-95CB-FC1CF7764617.jpeg - Click image for larger version Name:	00BB99C2-2E5A-466A-95CB-FC1CF7764617.jpeg Views:	356 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	169403

D628A470-527A-4643-9EAB-2C179A5AFE09.jpeg - Click image for larger version Name:	D628A470-527A-4643-9EAB-2C179A5AFE09.jpeg Views:	349 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	169404

These photos are all from at least 10 years ago, but its what the rig still looks like. I’m looking for a little input from the community as far as where to go with the suspension currently. The rear has MC 5 inch springs plus 2 inch blocks to keep it level, I’m going to take those out at least, and was considering either 3 or 4 inch All pro springs for the front, is there a better option? Should I spring under it and go shackle forward?:homer: Let me know. I want low stable, and drive-able, while being able to load the back end up without it sagging like a mofo. Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m going spring under front shackle.

Chop the front of the frame off, build a new one and find some flat stock springs and go shackle forward. I'm 13hrs from my truck and this is a new phone so this is the best pic I have. Those are fj62 rear springs up front. Super low body height and pretty stable and tons of donwntravel. It only has like 1" of uptravel and if I did to all over I would build more uptravel into it. The trucks too low IMO.
Click image for larger version Name:	20190610_194631-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	438.5 KB ID:	172115

After looking at them rig and doing some thinking, I’m entertaining the idea of rebuilding the Auto trans, and putting a 4.7 case behind it. I’m having a hell of a time finding the adapter I need, or what the process is to do so. The only thing I’ve found so far is a small statement on Marlins v6 adapter page saying I would need a T-100 auto. Does anyone have info or input on this?

After looking at them rig and doing some thinking, I’m entertaining the idea of rebuilding the Auto trans, and putting a 4.7 case behind it. I’m having a hell of a time finding the adapter I need, or what the process is to do so. The only thing I’ve found so far is a small statement on Marlins v6 adapter page saying I would need a T-100 auto. Does anyone have info or input on this?

Correct. You need to swap transmissions or at least the tail housing in order to install a gear drive case.

What is different about them?

Your transfer case is integrated into the tailgousing of the transmission. You need a different transmission or tail housing and possibly output shaft in order to bolt a gear drive t case adapter to it.

Your transfer case is integrated into the tailgousing of the transmission. You need a different transmission or tail housing and possibly output shaft in order to bolt a gear drive t case adapter to it.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Much appreciated.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Much appreciated.

That transmission you have is a bastard. You should be able to swap tail housings but don’t quote me on that. The first transmission is the T100. The second is the bastard transmission.

202015EA-D2D1-48ED-BC30-D46955DCD5CE.jpeg

A5FC81AD-CD63-4FC8-9A13-39C9D2DF8C2A.jpeg

Last edited:
That transmission you have is a bastard. You should be able to swap tail housings but don’t quote me on that. The first transmission is the T100. The second is the bastard transmission.

alright. So the v6 adapter I have will bolt to the top one? Will I be able to use the 4runner shift console for the tranny?

alright. So the v6 adapter I have will bolt to the top one? Will I be able to use the 4runner shift console for the tranny?

What adapter do you have? Adapter bolts to the rear of the top trans. Shifter remains the same.

Last edited:
That adapter bolts a gear drive case to the back of an R150. It’s useless to you.

I’m going off of this Info. Is this not accurate?

That’s the Marlin adapter. That will bolt to the T100 transmission. The TG adapter does not. The TG adapter is for a 5 speed manual.

I guess I’m just confused as to why, they have the exact same bolt pattern.

It says right in the description it’s for a 5 speed. You can try to bolt it up to an auto but it will not work.

Small update, transmission solenoid kit was delivered and will be installed in the coming days, the fuel system that has been removed due to rust in the tank and on the sending unit, as well as the sock and float deteriorated, is being reassembled to be reinstalled. After that we should know if it still runs. :laughing:

Plans have changed a bit, going to run the tranny/T-Case as is for the time being with plans to swap autos to add a 4.7 case later. Per reps at marlin and TG, the TG adapter I have which is the regular V6 adapter will mate the 4.7 case to the a340F auto. Unless anyone has one of the A340H Inchworm adapters they want to sell to me. Per Inchworm by way of Marlin, by way of Low range, and Inchworm, has stopped making the adapter and its unavailable. Somebody hook me up!

The ride height is lower than I remember, and/or has settled over the last decade, so the suspension will remain as is for the foreseeable future. My first and main priority is to get in on the road and on the trails.

I am working on a design in my head for the Marlin bumper, to fab up a tire swingout. The idea is to tie the rear bumper and sliders together over the rear fender, then have some tube work connect that towards the top of the tailgate at the corner, so that the swingout has two hinges, and 4 points securing it rather than just two. Ill be looking to get a TG from low pro bumper to round it out for the time being. Photos as the project progresses.

Today the tranny got rebuilt with new gaskets, solenoids, filter, fluids, etc. The last of the fuel system parts came in today and should be back together this weekend, hopefully to find the rig running in a weeks time. No photos of the work today:flipoff2: I was busy working. But I got a couple of the rear cargo/sleeping platform I made way back. I may modify or rebuild it with drawers and a spot for a fridge at some point. Just ignore the 10 years of accumulated shit in the back and admire my 16year old handy work. :laughing:

CF0F0822-1DF3-470C-ADD7-AB8FA42182BD.jpeg

0DC6AA80-12BE-4206-AC1F-6FDA02007A7C.jpeg

Your best bet is to swap the output shaft and tailhousing from the T100. I’m in the same boat as you. I didn’t realize the V6 adapter would also work with the auto. I used one many years ago on an R150.

Your best bet is to swap the output shaft and tailhousing from the T100. I’m in the same boat as you. I didn’t realize the V6 adapter would also work with the auto. I used one many years ago on an R150.

From what I can tell, the most straight forward option is swap a tranny from a t-100 or later Gen 4runner with a stick shift t case, and the. Use the adapter I have to add on a 4.7 case. I’ve also found that the Jeep AW4 is the same tranny, and Will bolt to the Toyota bell housing, and an atlas 2 or Dana 300.

From what I can tell, the most straight forward option is swap a tranny from a t-100 or later Gen 4runner with a stick shift t case, and the. Use the adapter I have to add on a 4.7 case. I’ve also found that the Jeep AW4 is the same tranny, and Will bolt to the Toyota bell housing, and an atlas 2 or Dana 300.

The problem with the tranny swap is it has to be a 93 to 95 T100 transmission. The later, 96+ transmissions will not work.

Last edited:
The rig is back in the road, it shifts perfect, no fuel issues, and is back as it were when I parked it.

my issue now is shackle angle. Both front and rear are too steep, really limiting down travel and making for a rough ride. I do like the spring pack and the load rating, but have found out based on a spring reference in the old site, that if I swap to a RUF main leaf for the front, and the main leaf from a 94-02 dodge 1500 rear, I’ll keep the front eye to axle stud distance in both, and gain about 3 inches on the back end, hopefully fixing my shackle angle without having to cut and re-weld anything. If anyone has input, please speak up!

in other news Some you-weld sliders got delivered, I’m working on a front bumper, and otherwise we’re back in business. I did have a passenger front brake vibration when driving it home. Nothing when driving, pretty harsh vibration when braking, but no warm caliper like it’s stuck.

Front and rear shackle angle, and how I hope for them to end up.

68868C31-0F07-4E32-AAF2-06B653DD71BD.jpeg

0E856072-D4A1-4E7F-AA56-9BD948D4FBDB.jpeg

68868C31-0F07-4E32-AAF2-06B653DD71BD.jpeg

0E856072-D4A1-4E7F-AA56-9BD948D4FBDB.jpeg

Last edited:
ive had good luck with rancho 44044 leaf springs up front and chevy 63's from davez offroad

personally i'd stay on 37's and bust out the sawzall:smokin:

Top Back Refresh