What's new

Operation Trail Missile

Haha had the first failure on the smart car. Was loading the bitch on the trailer to go to the vynil shop. Well if anyone has ever loaded a snowmobile onto a tilt bed trail know you need to hit it with a little speed. Well the smart car is a little heavy and the carbides dug in pretty good. Snapped the spindle casting at the brake mounts Looks like a slight redesign will be necessary. :lmao::homer:

Haha had the first failure on the smart car. Was loading the bitch on the trailer to go to the vynil shop. Well if anyone has ever loaded a snowmobile onto a tilt bed trail know you need to hit it with a little speed. Well the smart car is a little heavy and the carbides dug in pretty good. Snapped the spindle casting at the brake mounts Looks like a slight redesign will be necessary. :lmao::homer:

Better there than 5 miles down the trail...

Aaron Z

Better there than 5 miles down the trail...

Aaron Z

eBay had a set of used struts and spindles. I needed to change the drivers side anyway the spring was broke. I’ll weld a few pieces on my skis to tie it into the strut tower not just the brake caliper mounts.

I also ordered a set of studs for the tracks.

eBay had a set of used struts and spindles. I needed to change the drivers side anyway the spring was broke. I’ll weld a few pieces on my skis to tie it into the strut tower not just the brake caliper mounts.

I also ordered a set of studs for the tracks.

Why not use an empty race to tie into the bearing/hub bore?

s-l1600.jpg

Why not use an empty race to tie into the bearing/hub bore?

It’s the rotational moment is what I need to defeat. The skis are plenty strong via the attachment of the lug nuts. I’m gonna run 2 plates up to strut and u bolt them down. That will put the moment into the strut not just brake caliper mounts.

Took the exciter out today.....

It didn’t end well 100 miles into the ride and 35 miles from home I burnt a piston up. I’m pretty sure I overheated the motor. It was 35 degrees warmer today than last Friday.

I’ll pull it apart tomorrow hopefully it’s just pistons and I didn’t fubar the jugs. That stock fan doesn’t seem to be up for the task. I might have to engineer a “race” fan to fit under the stock shrouding.

Anyone here a squirrel cage fan engineer? If not I’ll have to put my feelers out we have a huge industrial fan manufacturer in town. I interned there in college but it’s been so long ago most of the people I knew retired.

Yup torched the pto side piston. The other side looks good. Hopefully I can salvage the jug if not I’ll be hunting for a new one. Need to have it going again by March 6th.

Good side

B7783FA6-632E-4885-8809-C668C118BFB0.jpeg

Bad side ;(. Pto side must have leaned out. I didn’t hear any pinging.

F87F10E1-210B-4074-AEE4-28CC40E631FF.jpeg

Will get her patched back up. Gonna jump up a jet size on good side and 2 on the pto. The good side plug was looking kinda white so it was right at the limit also.

Ouch, that sucks. That amount of piston wash would generally be really rich on the mag side , was the plug burnt white or washed clean white? If PTO side was strictly heat related, maybe some creative duct work to get cold air in and hot out?

So droppped the jug off at buddies shop. He laughed and asked did this happen within 5 miles of gassing up. He figures I got a slug of water when I refueledcaising it to lean out and burn down. Said it happened a lot over the last 2 weeks. Fucking sucks if that the case. Ordered some paste for checking the gas. I’ll dump the bowels on it and if it turns red I’m gonna be pissed.

so he can salvage the jug by punching it .020 over. Got the last 2 pistons he could find. Should be going again in 2 weeks.

So droppped the jug off at buddies shop. He laughed and asked did this happen within 5 miles of gassing up. He figures I got a slug of water when I refueledcaising it to lean out and burn down. Said it happened a lot over the last 2 weeks.

ah we had a bunch of slow pumps when it was way fuckin' cold and they cleared themselves up when it stopped being 20 below
I was thinking it was the filters getting plugged with snow
this paints a similar tale

So droppped the jug off at buddies shop. He laughed and asked did this happen within 5 miles of gassing up. He figures I got a slug of water when I refueledcaising it to lean out and burn down. Said it happened a lot over the last 2 weeks. Fucking sucks if that the case. Ordered some paste for checking the gas. I’ll dump the bowels on it and if it turns red I’m gonna be pissed.

so he can salvage the jug by punching it .020 over. Got the last 2 pistons he could find. Should be going again in 2 weeks.

Almost did that to my 3 wheeler last weekend,it lives outside and must've gotten some condensation going in the tank. Luckily with it being a single it just quit running, noticed the little swirls in the fuel line when I started pulling it apart looking for an air leak.

Got her back together today. Got it broke in during the day and needed to go and try it out at the end of the day. Little fucker is starting to get scary. I put a 1.25” ripsaw track on and 7 tooth drivers. Definitely picked up on the out of the whole speed.

With that sad I was ditch banging out to the snowmobile trail to give it a good rip. There is no snow on anything that was plowed and the ditches we pretty bare also.

Shooting along one pit road and there was a dead 3” tree leaning down. The fucking ski picked it up with the lack of snow and the hood is the perfect height to kick it up chest height. That fucker hit me in the squarely in the chest. It didn’t break, jousted me off the sled and skidded me into the black top driveway. Fuck that hurt lol. I got road rash on the left side and a baseball sized black and blue mark on the right boob. Best crash of the year by far lol.

Momma didn’t raise a sissy so I Got back on and ripped around the fields for a while to try it out. She is awesome!! Gonna be really fun racing on Saturday. Im gonna need to go find a chest protector tomorrow. I’ll prolly cry like a little girl if I get hit in the same spot in the chest in a span of less than 2 days.

Well tomorrow is the big race. It’s gonna be warms out so I dropped a jet size. I think i figured out what caused the meltdown. My fuel pump lost its check valving. I took the carbs off to change jets and to go through and make sure nothing was dickered. I have her some test pulls with the lines up in the air and you could see the fuel pulsing up and down not just up.

I took the one out of the salvage phazer and got her hook up. Took it for a short run and it solved my lean pto side problem. Super excited for tomorrow. Should be intense. Hopefully there isn’t too much water on the track as that is gonna make it hard to see.

Here she is all ready to go !!!!!! I didn’t get a chest protector so I’m probably gonna Todd it up and wear a life preserver. It should offer some chest cushion lol. So if you see a picture of a fat guy wearing carharts yellow gloves a life preserver and a motocross helmet racing a life spring snowmobile you’ll all know who it is lol :lmao:

Click image for larger version Name:	6497B3C2-14A9-41BB-9865-4BE9FBDC07EA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	461.5 KB ID:	333699

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the tree that speared me. Fucker jousted me over 6’ off the sled to land on the damn blacktop. Stupid popple trees lol

768562BC-A20F-447F-A181-E7689229EB3C.jpeg

I didn’t get a chest protector so I’m probably gonna Todd it up and wear a life preserver. It should offer some chest cushion lol. So if you see a picture of a fat guy wearing carharts yellow gloves a life preserver and a motocross helmet racing a life spring snowmobile you’ll all know who it is lol :lmao:

:lmao::lmao:

Youth and talent are no.match for age and treachery.

But they can keep at it longer than us old farts.

So much fun. First heat 3 big jumps in I ripped the carbs out of the boots fuck. No airbox will do that :( The feature I did not do too bad. Had to line up at the back of the pack so lots of traffic. I was just laughing the whole time .

The srx chassis won. I’m gonna have to widen mine out for next year. I also need to lose some weight lol. 5 laps on a Sno cross track with a leaf spring sled is a workout lol.

Wheres the video?

haha I didn’t record one I’m sure they’ll have some on their Facebook page

Your close enough you could have come and watched the madness first hand.

it was put on by the Nutterville SnoNuts

Last edited:
Was supposed to pick up a 4l65e today, didnt pan out. The smartsled get into the shenanigans?

It’s sitting on the trailer in the pits. It will stay there too much mud. Doesn’t have the traction to push the skis through that stuff. It’s definitely getting attention. Got it all lettered up so it will pay for itself in advertising :smokin:

So me and the boys are gonna build a track next winter to get some practicing in. The plotting is all ready starting lol.

anyone have a xtra 10 suspension laying around in the dead row lol?

Talking to the club president he said they were at 30,000 and still counting money from yesterday. Not a bad day. My buddy who went with me won the 50/50 raffle at 2800 also not a bad day lol.

Awesome event for their first go at it and less than a month of planning. The A class had some super hard crashes lol. I’m sure next year will be epic. Who would of though a call out on Facebook to come race your junk snowmobiles would be such a hit. There had to be 1500-2000 people there if not more.

So me and the boys are gonna build a track next winter to get some practicing in. The plotting is all ready starting lol.

anyone have a xtra 10 suspension laying around in the dead row lol?

I've got 2 extra 10 sleds in my yard right now. Both running though :flipoff2:

Had a after race recap this morning with the guys before work. One of my other employee who raced was in third during the last lap of the B feature race. He was pissed because the throttle cable snapped in sight of the finish line. He got it fixed and got second in the dash for cash in the old rxl.

Surprisingly there was only one serious injury all day. A passenger in the 2up race got tossed and broke his shoulder. My employee said the 2up race was insane as they were going just as fast as the b guys were going.

there is serious plotting for next year going on. I got a lead on another 1980 exciter for sale in town. I’m gonna wait till the rain on Wednesday to make a deal.

IMO the best sleds for this would be those sno pro 440f from either skidoo or Polaris. Just to find a cheap trashed one is the hard part.

Gonna need to get in better shape. The top side of my legs is still sore. Not used to using those muscles.

Top Back Refresh