What's new

Operation Trail Missile

ThePanzerFuhrer

The Rock Breaker God
Member Number
Loc
Wi
Winters comming!!!! The end of the tunnel with work is near!!! I need to get my trail missile going again. My baby is a black and gold 1980 440f exciter!!!! Best paint color scheme ever (a nod to the awesome Smokey Yuenik) !!!!! Current mods are a skid from a phazer and some chassis tuning to get her to drive on rails.

Last winter I was hard on the old girl, and she let go on the final beating of the season. I broke the secondary side pillow bearing housing, and trashed the chain case. So the plan is to resurrect her with a few mods. The stock 440 is 48 hp. In the twisty’s can can hold my own with the new sleds. In the flats they can blow my doors off.

So the plan is to get her a little hp upgrade. I have a 1989 phazer that I’ll pull the motor out and drop it in the exciter. It is a 480cc fan motor. With flat slide carbs, reeds and a psi pipe she should make 70-75ish hp. That will be enough to put me pretty deep into the pickers.

I don’t want a liquid as that will add to much weight and unessary complexity. My neighbor put an 800 Polaris with 130+hp in a 1980 exciter chassis and that thing is a absolute death wish. I’m not allowed to drive it as I will die. However I am pestering him to sell it to me!!!

Yes I know I’m skipping the minijet boat but I need to get a working sled for winter!!! The minijet boat will get finished this winter!!!

Pictures:

7939BFAB-5391-4486-A948-99A1102603A9.jpeg
My baby and a parts machine to rob jackshaft and chain case parts from.

589EDDBD-4B38-4FFE-93E3-1975BEF12EFA.jpeg
Hard to see in the upside down picture but the casting for the pillow block is broke.

I opened the snowmobile connex and the phazer was behind about 4 snoscoots and 3 other sleds so I passed on dragging it out myself tonight. I’ll get some help tomorrow in the light and fish it out.

I hope you’ll enjoy the upcoming snowmobile shenanigans.

A turbo 2 stroke motor would be absolutely retarded. I vote you do that because a motor swap is way to simple of a job for you.

Build a sealed box for the carbs and make it a blow through setup. Air to snow intercooler for the win. :smokin:

You're really not helping with me avoiding putting a sled on the project roster. I look forward to the build.

A turbo 2 stroke motor would be absolutely retarded. I vote you do that because a motor swap is way to simple of a job for you.

Build a sealed box for the carbs and make it a blow through setup. Air to snow intercooler for the win. :smokin:

That would be cool but we need to get this project done in months not years. Once I seen a turbo kit for a 1990’s exciter. It was pretty sweet.

You're really not helping with me avoiding putting a sled on the project roster. I look forward to the build.

Haha wtf is another project. A leaf spring sled is so much fun!!! Our local trail system is super twisty. It’s so much fun being in it to win it on every corner.

I get so many double takes from the passing sleds. A fat guy wearing a dirt bike helmet, carharts, those cheap ass yellow gloves and work boots flogging the fuck out of a old leaf spring sled.

We are lucky and can take off Friday’s and go beat on the sleds until dark. We are the first ones on the freshly groomed trails and are all tuckered out by the time the drunks and idiots come out. I laugh the entire time!!!

Last edited:
Haha wtf is another project. A leaf spring sled is so much fun!!! Our local trail system is super twisty. It’s so much fun being in it to win it on every corner.

I get so many double takes from the passing sleds. A fat guy wearing a dirt bike helmet, carharts, those cheap ass yellow gloves and work boots flogging the fuck out of a old leaf spring sled.

I've never been on one, I just know people give old sleds away, and I love old shit. Snowmobiles are the one last thing WA hasn't put laws in place requiring a title, so the freebie-$100 stuff is actually worth messing with.

Make it interesting and drop and T-Cat motor in there.

I have 2 arctic cat 900s to put together into 1.The one that runs is FI only needs a front bearing swapped into the track setup. Too many projects here but this ones doable. My Summit 670 runs great but keeps me down low, still fun as hell. I guess it's over 100 horsepower, launches good.

Last edited:
"I'm not allowed to drive it as I will die."

:lmao:

Subbed.

A friend of mine has one of those new turbo Yamaha's. Over 200 HP. Its dumb.

I've been out of the sport since about '84. My last sled was 1980 El Tigre which at 80-ish HP would run down the lake at over 100 MPH no problem.

This thread has me searching CL. Supposedly we are going to get snow this winter. Hmmm . . .

This looks dangerous. I like it :grinpimp:

We had a 71 Skidoo 440 when I was a kid. I wasn't heavy enough to counter the weight in corners. I constantly flopped that thing :laughing: It was super narrow.

This looks dangerous. I like it :grinpimp:

We had a 71 Skidoo 440 when I was a kid. I wasn't heavy enough to counter the weight in corners. I constantly flopped that thing :laughing: It was super narrow.

Thats the most fun part about it. Every corner you come in hot there is a distinct possibility of rolling the bitch over. Last year I put her on the side a few times. A fat guy sliding across the snow at 50 is fun. Especially knowing there is 4 more guys right behind you coming in hot.

The funniest was 2 years ago when I shot out of the ditch to cross a bridge on a main drag in town. I hit the snowbank at a 45 degree angle. That little bitch whipped me off so fast. I slid out a lane and a half into traffic. Thank the lord the traffic was back far enough not to hit me. I got a lot of heat for that one.

I shop for used old phazers Every year, reliable old cheap sleds that are easy to repair and keep running. Haven’t found the right one(s) yet.

4C4E3DD9-D81F-4AA4-9A07-180C1C12759A.jpeg
Got the engine pulled out and surveyed the damage. Upper chain case bearing failed causing the secondary bearing housing to fail. Dropped the shaft and chain case half off at neighbors he’ll identify the bearings and seals and get the coming. Yamaha definitely overbuilt this case. 2 huge bearings and a 4 row chain. The neighbor laughed and said this is better built than the new ones. I’m guessing seals died and I ran it low on oil.

Went to see if my 89 Arctic Cat Jaguar 440 would start this afternoon, it was covered with 10 inches of snow, I brushed what I could off but then the Primer wouldn't pull fuel so no go. It was 20 degrees and nowhere to ride anyway so I walked away until another day.

Went to see if my 89 Arctic Cat Jaguar 440 would start this afternoon, it was covered with 10 inches of snow, I brushed what I could off but then the Primer wouldn't pull fuel so no go. It was 20 degrees and nowhere to ride anyway so I walked away until another day.

Lol those primers are always a issue. If they don’t pump, they’ll pump just fine but suck air in.

What is the snowmobile equivalent of a top fuel motor, and why are you not doing that?

Lol I would die. I asked again tonight if they wanted to sell the 130hp leaf spring exciter!! Told me they are too far in the red in that project. I might have to have them test me haha.

Top Back Refresh