What's new

om617 swap?

ShitBoxSam

Member Number
5537667E-77D2-48A8-AE68-C1AD23641582.png

1B2E597E-F906-40CA-96E9-D52E7CC7B2E0.png

“Non turbo 5 cylinder Mercedes Bought as a running motor. unsure of mileage, has all brackets and accessories, message for inquiry”

I’m pretty tempted to pick this thing up. I know they are turds n/a but getting a factory turbo setup wouldn’t be too tough. With this kind of price for a running motor I could reseal it, buy an adapter place, turbo kit, maybe aluminum rad and all the miscellaneous things I may need to swap the 22r out in my 81 for less than just finding an alh tdi donor car around here. Thoughts?

I got a good deal of spare parts for those. Whole turbo set up n all just needs a new seal in it. Could be $$ to ship depending where you are.

Dooms Day Diesel has adapter kits to replace your 22r as well ……

Just get a turbo one from the beginning, it'll be a lot easier than collecting the parts later and doing the swap.
Turbo om617’s with unknown km’s already pulled from the cars go for 1500-2100 up here in canukistan. This one got me thinking about turboing an n/a motor because of the low initial cost. But the more I look into the differences between the two is looks like it might not be worth it. Factory turbo model has a different injection pump, as well as oil squirrels to cool the pistons, different rods crank valves etc. Might not be worth the effort in the end even with a low initial cost

Might just have to find some grandma car

Turbo om617’s with unknown km’s already pulled from the cars go for 1500-2100 up here in canukistan. This one got me thinking about turboing an n/a motor because of the low initial cost. But the more I look into the differences between the two is looks like it might not be worth it. Factory turbo model has a different injection pump, as well as oil squirrels to cool the pistons, different rods crank valves etc. Might not be worth the effort in the end even with a low initial cost

Might just have to find some grandma car

Yep, way to many differences to make it worthwhile.

The whole car is the way to do it, that way you know it is running and driving and you get all the stuff needed.

I was going to mention the oil squirters deal.

I just sold two turbo models for $800 total, but you're far from me anyways. I was pretty set on dropping one into my 84 4runner, but got cold feet after so many posts of just mediocre power even with a HE221 and 7.5 pump. Even when upgraded, it's a lot of weight for the power of a stock 3RZ..

I was going to mention the oil squirters deal.

I just sold two turbo models for $800 total, but you're far from me anyways. I was pretty set on dropping one into my 84 4runner, but got cold feet after so many posts of just mediocre power even with a HE221 and 7.5 pump. Even when upgraded, it's a lot of weight for the power of a stock 3RZ..
Really enjoyed driving an 80 pickup with a 1.9 tdi AAZ engine code, which is a mechanical injection turbo vw engine. I believe only turbo models came in canada. I like the simplicity of the om617’s vs the newer volkswagen tdi’s, but it sounds the extra wiring effort for an engine such as an ALH may be worth the power and weight savings. Just seeing an om617 running for $250 really sparked my interest

Really enjoyed driving an 80 pickup with a 1.9 tdi AAZ engine code, which is a mechanical injection turbo vw engine. I believe only turbo models came in canada. I like the simplicity of the om617’s vs the newer volkswagen tdi’s, but it sounds the extra wiring effort for an engine such as an ALH may be worth the power and weight savings. Just seeing an om617 running for $250 really sparked my interest
Can do a m-tdi.
And yet another Toyota swap, but M-Tdi.

Parts are pretty easy to find which is nice.

I have an OM352... can't even get an oil or fuel filter for it, had to order them from an importer.

Haven't pulled them apart yet, but i have 2, 1 a turbo model and hopefully enough good parts to make 1 without spending a wheelbarrow of unmarked nickles.

Just got passed by a 80's 300D, :lmao: I was going the speed limit.
gear it for 3500 rpm at Highway speeds and it might not be terrible.

Try and find an om-606, i have yet to see one in a minitruck of any kind. Would be a cool swap
I don't think you're fitting one in a 22r engine bay without completely changing the rad support or remote mounting the rad. The 5 cylinder is already tight even with DDD serpentine belt kit and electric fans installed. 6th cylinder changes all that.

Top Back Refresh