What's new

NV4500 TECH II

Its the fork from a truck with a 4500 and a sae bellhousing had a 6bt engine

The TO is most likely cummins stock or stock from the truck the fork is sourced from.

Im of the opinion that the 1.250/10 input will work on the 95 4500 as it is the hybrid of the 4500's has the early bellhousing bolt pattern but has the late gear ratio and hence since the input I have the 1.250/10 also is used in the 2001 (according to the numbers on the top of the transmission sticker) ratio half of the issue is possibly remedied, the other half is the bearing retainer that has the 5.125 OD that fits the early more standard bellhousing.

Keeping this input lets me save all of the hardware I have that is related to the 1.250/10 input and the dodge TO bearing and fork that took over a year to source and purchase.

Yes Newb I know im being stubborn and such.

If I go with the plate I need another input to use the McLeod disc I have about 500.00 into.

the other half is the bearing retainer that has the 5.125 OD that fits the early more standard bellhousing.
There is no GM input retainer for the combo of 1.25" input and 5.125" b/h pilot. That's what the guy in the PBB link earlier had to deal with... so he machined down a 5.6" one.

Now... what application is this cummins/sae/NV4500 combo where you sourced the fork? Does it perhaps have the retainer with the dimensions you seek?

Reactions: PAE
Yes maybe...

It was called a NPR TRUCK ?

Does that ring any bells ?

Thought of it from seeing a TOB and FORK at another website that was using the 4500 but hooked to a 6BT or 4BT from a actual bread truck.

Its most like likely not on the phone Im on now but might be in a email.

Will check and try to get a make and part #.

Isuzu was the make at least.

It was the one more towards the top.

BOB1.png
BOB 2.png

Last edited:
Isuzu NPR and the GMC-branded copy... sure... with cummins and nv4500? not to my knowledge.

Best I could dig up over at 4BT swaps is a reference to this bellhousing, which might be suitable for you:

Been down the AA 4500 road cant name all of the issues but there were many.

They run or ran a proprietary clutch fork and it didnt mesh with the TO or clutch fork I plan to use with the 1.250x10 input I'm going to use with what ever 4500 I end up using be it the 96+ which is actually a 2001 from the # on the top cover or a 1995 using my input in it.

Their fork is in the shadows in the pic there but their bellhousing uses a proprietary ball stud and a standard gm ball stud wont work as their ball stud is a full round design and the fork is the wrong design to work with the dodge TO bearing its too small an opening where the TO bearing rides.

Im tired of buying other companies stuff and having to mod it to work.

I returned the AA bellhousing kit I had to the transmission company many years ago, it was like forcing water to run up a stream.

Thank you for looking though

Just planning on using the input I currently have in the 1995 4500 if Im able to come up with one as I'm told from reading online the 95 uses both the late gear ratio and also the early bellhousing bolt pattern.

All I would need to do is source a bearing retainer with the 5.125 pilot diameter that will accommodate my 1.250x10 input then I can use all of the clutch and clutch fork TO bearing hardware I already own.

Last edited:
At a glance, that AA clutch fork is copy of a GM one from the 60's. The SM465 fork of say '87 was stamped steel and looks completely different.

How did you figure an Isuzu fork is supposed to work in a GM bell? If it does, it may work in that AA bell too. That fork (pre/post '87) also pre-dates any use of the NV4500, so its likely a fluke they work together in whatever project you gleaned the info from.

I saw from buying the ball stud before dropping the 75.00+ the trip and tax so almost 100.00 plus a lite shave on the inside to fit the dodge TO.

I had the parts goofball measure the fork end to center and center to TO location and it was the correct spec.

Couldnt find at the moment but a member that took some 6 months to make contact with had used this setup ( His pics of the sae bellhousing and what not were blue) in a 1 ton 6x6 a jeep or something like that twin rear axles powered both by seperate drive lines from one NP200 t case.

This fork wont work in the AA Bellhousing as that ball stud uses a full round actual ball stud where the gm is only half round and has a spot on the rear that spring steel clip holds onto the ball.

20150414_112554.jpg

Last edited:
A standard gm ball stud does not fit without the bellhousing being machined, AA isnt use to customers modifying their parts.

There may be something new in the last few years available.

So. Do it.

Your neck deep with this dumbass input that is just a fucking bastard half breed pile of mixed bullshit, you think anything is going to fit as is at this point?

You got to main options at this point, the $1500 belhousing you cant get any to pickup the phone on or make something work as you see fit.

So GM never made a 1.25 input for the NV? My case is a small retainer case with multi piece counter shaft. I couldve made it have the 6.34 first gear but opted for 5.61 so I could upgrade the input at the later date more easily. Anyways, seems you're boned PAE. You will need to visit a machine shop to mash all your bits together. To be clear, you have a 96 case with 1.25 input and a 95 bell, correct? Could you use the dodge retainer and notch it to clear the pivot ball? Then there is the matter of fitting a throw-out bearing to the fork. Nm the bell wont fit it, so you need to get it turned down. It would easier to see the solution if the parts were in front of me.

TOB is already working with the fork.

Just took a slight bit of massaging the fork on the inside .050-.075 is all it took.

The solution beyond getting a 1995 nv4500 is turning down the bearing retainer to 5.125 od and finding a early bellhousing, then adding the bottom two bolt holes to the transmission to adapt to the early 4500 bell.

I would rather source the 1995 nv4500 and use the late 1.250/10 input as im told via more places than not that the 1995 n 4500 shares the gear ratio with the late and also shares the bellhousing bolt pattern with the early nv4500.

So GM never made a 1.25 input for the NV?
They did. The 8.1l used a 1.25" input.
In stock form its a naked input like the 96+ gm nv's and uses the same style hydro t/o.

It is the only form of gm 1.25 input ive been able to find. I suspect the sick son of a bitch that built it used a dodge input retainer on it and trimmed the length (if needed)

Im the sick sob that built it with the dodge BR.

They did. The 8.1l used a 1.25" input.
In stock form its a naked input like the 96+ gm nv's and uses the same style hydro t/o.

It is the only form of gm 1.25 input ive been able to find. I suspect the sick son of a bitch that built it used a dodge input retainer on it and trimmed the length (if needed)
Wicked deal. I suspect the 1.125 input wont handle a turbo 5.3 once I start getting confident with it. Then again, even the big input NV is only rated for 460 lb/ft. I imagine the 1 3/8 input could be made to work with some machining if all else fails.

INFO on the 1995 bearing retainer, gear ratios etc.

4WD NV4500 (1995)
This transmission is identical to the 1993-94 transmission, except the 1st gear ratio had been changed to 5.61:1; 2nd 3.04:1; 3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive. The noise and shifting problems had been corrected.

Identification of this transmission can be obtained by using the identification charts in this manual. Due to the interchangeability of other NV4500 components, we also recommend that you verify the following information: Starting at the front, this GM transmission should have a input shaft pilot tip diameter of .590”. The spline of the input is 1-1/8” diameter 10 spline and protrudes approximately 6-5/8” from the face of the transmission. This input shaft can be interchanged with other NV4500 input shafts with this 5.61 1st gear ratio. The front bearing retainer index is 5.125”, with a snout diameter of 1.373”, and a front bolt pattern as above. The shifter stud on the top cover is a male threaded connection. The rear of this transmission has an aluminum adapter housing which measures 8-1/8” long; and the output shaft is 32 spline. Most transfer case adapters for this transmission will require the replacement of the tailhousing and the shortening of the output shaft.

GM 4WD NV4500 (1996 & Newer)
This transmission has the same gear ratio as the 1995 version (1st 5.61:1; 2nd 3.04:1; 3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive). Chevy once again changed the bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern and went to a larger bellhousing index diameter. The new bolt pattern and index are the same as the Dodge Standard Duty NV4500. These transmissions use a GM internal release bearing.

Identification of this transmission can be obtained by using the identification charts in this manual. Due to the interchangeability of other NV4500 components, we also recommend that you verify the following information: Starting at the front, this GM transmission should have an input shaft pilot tip diameter of .590”. The spline of the input is 1-1/8” diameter 10 spline and protrudes approximately 6-5/8” from the face of the transmission. This input shaft can be interchanged with other NV4500 input shafts with this 5.61 1st gear ratio. The front bearing retainer index is 5.600”. This transmission uses an aluminum front retainer without a release bearing snout. The stock GM bellhousing used an internal release bearing that mounted to the front of this transmission. Most bellhousing adapters for this transmission will either require the replacement of the retainer or, on some applications, an adapter retainer bolted to the front of the stock GM aluminum retainer. The shifter stud on the top cover is a male threaded connection. The rear of this transmission has an aluminum adapter housing which measures 8-1/8” long; and the output shaft is 32 spline. Most transfer case adapters for this transmission will require the replacement of the tailhousing and the shortening of the output shaft. We carry this rebuilt transmission under PN26-0007R. * The top shifter’s will vary on these transmission due to core supplies. GM 1996 & UP Retainer

Last edited:
I found one, the 1995 that will fit my 1.250x10 input a rebuilt , do they put standard sincros in rebuilts or the ones that need synthetic oil ?

Im looking at 2500 plus 200.00 to ship.

Going to have the rebuilder bore the bearing retainer out to the late 1996+ size (right around 4.100 ID) so my 1.250x10 input and bearing retainer will fit without modding the rear side of the retainer as on the thread posted from the old place.

Last edited:
I found one, the 1995 that will fit my 1.250x10 input a rebuilt , do they put standard sincros in rebuilts or the ones that need synthetic oil ?

Im looking at 2500 plus 150 to ship.

Going to have the rebuilder bore the bearing retainer out to the late 1996+ size (right around 4.100 ID) so my 1.250x10 input and bearing retainer will fit without modding the rear side of the retainer as on the thread posted from the old place.

You're getting the small retainer bored out? I'm looking through the bearing catalog and I see gm used a different input bearing race from 96 up (np728109). However, I'm only seeing one tapered roller for all inputs (m802048). I'm assuming you're getting the snout bored out for the different race. But you could probably use an early race instead (m802011). Or are you gettjng it bored to fit the large shaft size? And how thin will it be after? Looks like the later retainers are 57 thou larger. So not much. Should be fine to bore it. Oh, you're getting the case bored to fit the larger retainer. But your bell wont index on it without having the retainer turned down. Edit: looking at the dimensions of the small retainer, it is apparent that it can't be bored to fit the larger input. ID of large retainer measures 1.29, OD of small retainer measures 1.371. No go there. Unless you had it spray welded larger...hmmmm.

Last edited:
As of this date the plan is to have the 1995 case bearing retainer hole bored out to the 4.100 (late 1996+ size) and have a new bearing retainer made from a solid chunk of steel that matches both the 4.100 size on the transmissions case hole size and the 5.125 bellhousing pilot size so the bearing retainer will be a hybrid size and will fit the 1.250/10 input size and fit the early gm bell as the ball stud does not fit properly with the 5.600 bearing retainer and late bellhousing.

Here is the prototype.

Keep in mind the early bearing retainer isnt a symmetrical bolt pattern two are the bottom bolt holes are the same but top bolt holes are not clocked same degrees.

20221221_111617.jpg
20221221_111628.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh