What's new

NV4500 TECH II

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Can the new guts of a 96+ NV4500 fit into a 92-95 NV4500 case ?

Correct bellhousing RM 8024

Last edited:
Don't think so as the reverse idler is different no?

Reactions: PAE
Have a brand new 96+ but need a 95.

I'm sure this has been covered in a IBB/old-PBB thread.

To make the 96+ fit the 95.... redrill the face for the small bearing retainer. Drill the two lower b/h holes in the right place.

Nees the smaller dia bearing retainer, cant get that with the 96+ case.

The correct bellhousing isnt made for the 5.600 bearing retainer, hard stop in project progress.

Nees the smaller dia bearing retainer, cant get that with the 96+ case.

Redrill the face for the small bearing retainer.

^ I'm digging for a link... its been done.

The bearing retainer has the wrong register hole size.

The bearing retainer is for the 1.250 / 10 input.

The OD of the bearing retainer isnt made for the 1.250 / 10 input shaft to the best of my knowledge.

ETA made a billet bearing retainer early pilot with 1.250/10 input / seal.

20221221_111617.jpg

Last edited:
Is your target a chevy size input?

If so, I had a fix lined up once-upon-a-time for a '95 chev NV4500 onto a SM465 bell. The idea was to use the Dodge gas input shaft (~1" longer; same spline) and fashion an adapter plate between the bell and trans to take up the inch. I never got it done... i ran into a cash crunch and had to sell off the NV. Its an idea at least.

Nope its a 1.250 x 10 standard chevy length.

Standard chevy is 1.125 x 10 from memory.

Nope its a 1.250 x 10 standard chevy length.

Standard chevy is 1.125 x 10 from memory.

So.... you're doing a custom 'fat input' upgrade on a Chevy?

How about using the longer cummins input together with a 1" adapter plate as I outlined above?

Might work but, the bearing retainer would need to be longer.

Its gotta be the standard location ball stud on the bellhousing.

But the bearing retainer is larger because of the larger input diameter

I once met a guy that had stuffed a Getrag G360 (1stgen cummins trans) in his K20 w/BBC using an alum SM465 bell and home-made 1" plate adapter. He definitely made it work because he was DD' ing it, drove to my place, and it wasn't a heap. I was all underneath it checking the goods. He kept the dodge 205 on it out of convenience. I do remember he complained about there not being much for clutch options with the 1.25" input. Can't recall if mech linkage or hydro.

Anyway, if that guy figured it out with a 1.25" shaft.... something similar should be repeatable with a NV. :grinpimp:

I really screwed up, like $2500.00 worth picking the late 96+ nv4500 with the clutch release setup I've engineered or adopted.

They have the internal slave setup as there wasnt an option with the larger 5.600 bearing retainer pilot, there is no room in the standard location as is with the early 5.125 pilot on the 92-95 model.

Just went and bought everything thinking Ill get this custom bellhousing that costs $1500.00.

Just have to find the correct 1.250/10 input and the larger bearing retainer to fit the earlier transmission.

I don't think there is a chevy length 1.25" input... they're all 1.125". You probably need to cut down a dodge diesel one.

What the bellhousing pattern diagram says is from interpretation I'm fucked.

If I use a dodge the bearing retainer OD is still 5.600.

If I get a early gm, a 95 the 1.250/10 input shaft I have wont mesh up with the early gear set.

I currently have a chevy 1.250/10 input but it only works with the 96+ model.

20220120_201443.jpg

20220120_201429.jpg

I've now concluded you have an input shaft I didn't know existed :laughing:

It would be nice if a 1.250/10 was available to fit the 95 nv4500.

If there was then I would have a partial path to head down.

I stll dont think he has what he think it is. I havent seen it but i still be its not 1.25 or it is and its 7.25" long.

It did cross my mind that maybe the clutch aftermarket saw fit to produce an upgraded Chevy input for a HD clutch upgrade.

Can a 94ish dodge diesel clutch disc (12") work with a 12" Chevy pressure plate?

Thats what im wondering. There should be a disc somewhere that should swap.

I have heard that there are places that will spec/recenter discs.

I might have a old 12v clutch in the shop.

Well I do have a 1.250/10 McLeod 12 inch pressure plate and disc, why would I need a 94 dodge disc when I already have an aftermarket 12 inch disc ?

Not that I mentioned that in this thread.

Lemme try to get this straight.... You need either:

1) A 5.6" pilot GM bellhousing for fork type actuation.

2) A 5.125" pilot nv4500 case... that you could potentially modify a HD retainer to fit. (As per the PBB link I posted)

And you already bought a QT b/h for the 5.125" pilot?

Top Back Refresh